PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to start installer

GhostToast
October 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

I just downloaded and burned Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit to install as a dual boot on my Dell Optiplex GX270 with WinXP and 256mb RAM. I boot into the CD and I select install now, and then an error message pops up saying it failed to start the installation, and that it is going to start a graphical interface so you can investigate the problem and try again. What went wrong? I really would like to install Ubuntu on my desktop because its much faster than Windows XP, and I can't use wubi because of the 256mb ram.

Thanks!

-GhostToast

Hakunka-Matata
October 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM
System Requirements

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 10.10 is 256 MB of memory. Note that some of your system's memory may be unavailable due to being used by the graphics card. If your computer has only the minimum amount of memory, the installation process will take longer than normal; however, it will complete successfully, and the system will perform adequately once installed.

Systems with less memory may be able to select "Install Ubuntu" from the boot menu to run just the installer, rather than the whole desktop, or may be able to use the alternate install CD.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes#System%20Requirements

Alternate install CD may be the answer

Hakunka-Matata
October 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Additional memory would be a very good and not too expensive addition to your Dell Optiplex.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=OptiPlex%20GX270%20Series%20% 28Desktop%20and%20Mini-Tower%29

GhostToast
October 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the reply! I will try downloading the alternate cd. I'll consider the memory upgrade, however money is short for me thesedays, and this isn't the computer I use the most, although it is pretty slow, so I may consider upgrading.

Hakunka-Matata
October 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
yea, me too. I bought a couple of those computers a while back for friends, they were very inexpensive on tigerdirect i think it was. Problem is now days buying new memory for the older machines is more expensive than new memory for modern mobos. ...........................