PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Constantly "spinning" cursor on desktop

ratcheer
October 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
i have two known problems on my new "production" 10.10 installation. I did not have these problems on my previous Maverick testing installation. This thread will be about one of them.

About half the time when I restart 10.10, the cursor on the desktop is circular with a "spinning" animation, which makes me think something is in progress and it is waiting for it to complete. For example, I have currently been up for 12 minutes and I still have this spinning cursor. It only appears when the cursor is over the desktop, it is normal when I move it over the menu or other panels, and when I am in an application.

Everything else seems to work normally. Also, if I try to see what is going on in System Monitor, the only process using any CPU at all is System Monitor.

Also, about half the time I boot the system, this problem does not occur.

Any ideas what is causing this? Or how to find out what it is?

Tim

khg_rap
December 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
I've been experiencing the exact same problem. The problem seems to have started right after I pasted a shortcut onto the desktop. Everything seems to be fine, except for the spinning pointer / cursor when hovering over any part of the desktop. Like Tim, the pointer is normal when hovering over any other open window, and System Monitor does not show any CPU or memory use. However, rebooting doesn't resolve the issue for me.

Has anyone found a solution to this, or could perhaps offer up some diagnostic advice?

Thanks,
Kevin

sikander3786
December 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Welcome to the forums. :)

Did you simply try deleting the newly created shortcut? BTW, what was it?

Bobhuber
December 25th, 2011, 02:41 AM
I have the same problem in 11.10 . The only fix I have found is to disable autologin .

lolpenguin
December 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
It's nautilus because it is the desktop.

khg_rap
January 2nd, 2012, 09:38 PM
I've tried deleting the shortcut, but that didn't solve the issue. The shortcut was for Jaikoz.