PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot see the whole screen on my netbook

jingaling
October 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I have been playing with Maverick (and this was the same on earlier versions).

When I am on my netbook (a 10.1" compaq mini with resolution set at the highest setting - 1024x600) I cannot see the whole window. This happens frequently in Eveolution where the bottom of the window is 'missing' so I cannot click ok when changing setting ect. This is extremely annoying and it is the only reason why I am still running Windows on my netbook.

Has anyone has a similar problem with there netbooks and is there a fix? Or is this just another linux-ism?? I really want to love linux and use it on all my machines (not just the ones with big screens) but this makes it extremely difficult.

Thanks guys,

Jing

Thanks Guys

jingaling
October 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Bump!

roggenschrotbrot
October 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
most applications don't play well with the tiny vertical resolutions netbooks offer, and its not a linux only problem. there are a few ways to handle this:

you can move a window by pressing alt and left mouse button
you can move/autohide your panels (if using gnome-panel instead of unity) by right-clicking them and select autohide/orientation in its preferences
you can use gnome-color-chooser and set the widgets spacing to 0. i highly recomend this as it results in much more compact windows

jingaling
October 12th, 2010, 04:35 PM
THanks, I will try those and see how I get on then re-post.