PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu upgraded from 10.04 & problem with Media Player

mr.interested
October 12th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Hello,

OK, so I've just upgraded my system to new Ubuntu, and unfortunately I can't watch films using Media Player. There's no sound, the image jumps, and the following two messages appear:

An error occurred
Disconnected: Connection terminated
An error occurred
pa_stream_cork() failed: Connection terminatedI've tried several films that worked before the upgraded. They are in both AVI and MKV format. I've also reinstalled Media Player, but it didn't help.

I didn't install anything after upgrading the system. Checking the films was one of the first things I did. Also, I could watch them straight prior to upgrading the system.

Many thanks for suggestion and help.

Edit:

There are actually three errors:

An error occurred
pa_stream_writable_size() failed: Connection terminated

andrewthomas
October 12th, 2010, 03:11 PM
try to purge and reinstall

sudo aptitude purge totem totem-pluginsIt couldn't hurt to remove the config files

rm -r ~/.gconf/apps/totem
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install totem totem-plugins

mr.interested
October 12th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Many thanks for your replay. Unfortunately, the very same errors appear when trying to watch a film on Media Player. (VLC works fine though.)

Jetro
December 4th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I get the exact same error as you, and nothing seems to work. Bumping for justice.

But you know what worked for me? It's not exactly a fix, but...

I use a USB soundcard as default. I set it back to the "original" default, that is, the laptop speakers, opened the file, and then I went into Sound Preferences and changed it again into what I like. No crash. ^_^

sabme
December 15th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Same problem but Ubuntu 10.10. AVI with AC3 audio has the problem another with MP3 audio doesn't.

pjalegria
December 15th, 2010, 11:54 PM
remove gstremer0.10-pulseaudio solved

efflandt
December 16th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I have not tried a 10.04 to 10.10 upgrade, but when I did a 9.10 to 10.04 upgrade, ubuntu-restricted-extras was no longer installed, and flashplugin-installer appeared to be the latest version, but did not show up in Firefox add-ons and did not work. Installing the restricted extras still did not fix flash. I had to mark flashplugin-installer for Reinstall before it worked. So maybe installing or reinstalling those will help.