PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in this situation?

oxf
October 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
The "Situation" is this......

I have installed Lucid on the 3 PC's in our house and a friends as well. I generally been very pleased with it.

However, for some reason Lucid doesn't like my Compaq laptop too much. While it runs flawlessly on the other PC's, the laptop's been a bit wierd. Most of the time it's functioned fine but there's been a few glitches and I've dealt with them, often with advice from this forum (thanks everyone!)

A few days ago I ran the update manager and it installed a new kernel. Result.. major problems in that it corrupted drivers and disabled all sorts of stuff (consensus from other members is that it broke ATI graphics driver and much more).

The other thing thats of not here is running from the live CD. While the previous Karmic CD boots up as normal the Lucid CD takes for ever to boot and at least 50% of the time results in giving me a login shell and not a propper boot. All this happening on the one machine only.

So my dilemma is this. I obviously need to do a re-installation. but do I stick with Lucid LTS and hope that this issue might be fixed in the next 3 years or start afresh and try Maveric which will only be supported for 6 months? Since Lucid seems to have an issue with this machine I'm inclined to take the risk and give Maveric a try

What would you do?

_outlawed_
October 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Give Maverick a try, if it doesn't work you can always fall back to Lucid LTS or whichever version works.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Regular releases are supposed to be supported for 18 months.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

gintovan
October 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah, why not give Maverick a try!?
And no it is not only supported for 6 months, but for 18 months where the LTS is 3 Years.

Rasa1111
October 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I would try Maverick also.

Ive installed it on 5-6 computers now,

and the only issue Ive found, is on the compaq presario c500 laptop.

I cant get the wireless working on it, it says it's working, but it is not.

But the other 3 laptops i installed it on are flawless.

g'luck, :)

irv
October 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I would try Maverick also.

Ive installed it on 5-6 computers now,

and the only issue Ive found, is on the compaq presario c500 laptop.

I cant get the wireless working on it, it says it's working, but it is not.

But the other 3 laptops i installed it on are flawless.

g'luck, :)
If you can get the Internet over a network cable (wire network), do that and try loading the driver for the wifi care via System> Administration > Additional drivers. (or maybe you have already tried that).

Rasa1111
October 12th, 2010, 02:05 PM
If you can get the Internet over a network cable (wire network), do that and try loading the driver for the wifi care via System> Administration > Additional drivers. (or maybe you have already tried that).

hey irv, yeah Ive done that mate.
Still no go, everything appears to be proper,
everything says it's good to go..
but it still wont connect~
Maybe, since no one else has stopped in my thread, you will check it out?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593777 :confused:

pricetech
October 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM
What I would do is take a chainsaw to the stupid thing and never buy another one like it.

Just kidding.

Yeah give Maverick a try. If that doesn't do it, then maybe an older release will.

You might try another 'buntu also.

oxf
October 12th, 2010, 08:47 PM
What I would do is take a chainsaw to the stupid thing and never buy another one like it.

Just kidding.

Yeah give Maverick a try. If that doesn't do it, then maybe an older release will.

You might try another 'buntu also.

Well that did cross my mind...!
Seriously I'll probably give Maveric a shot as I do like buntu and I didn't realise it was 18 months.

nechus
October 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I used to use Karmic on my Acer Aspire 5738 laptop and I had to stick to it until now because Lucid wouldn't even play a song correctly. But all that changed for the better with Maverick and I have just upgraded.