PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to sync your music folder to Ubuntu One

Jakiejake
October 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hey,
I want to sync my Music folder to my Ubuntu One account
The problem is that my Music folder contains music from iTunes, Bandit.fm, and Guvera
I just want to know if it is legal to sync all those files to Ubuntu One?
Please Help :)
Thanks!
BTW: Guvera is a legal downloading site as well :)

Rasa1111
October 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
you acquired the music legally,
I see no reason whatsoever that you couldnt sync it to your Ubuntu One.

I sync any of my own files that I want, to my Ubuntu One.

I really don't see an issue.

I guess go with what your gut tells you,
it's most always right.

CharlesA
October 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
As long as you aren't sharing said music, it should be ok, since it'll be for your own personal use.

Rasa1111
October 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM
As long as you aren't sharing said music, it should be ok, since it'll be for your own personal use.

pretty crazy when you are not "allowed" to "share" your own things. lol

You buy something, and you're not "allowed to share it",
what a joke. :mad:

buy a CD? want to let your friend borrow it? TOO BAD!

Resist and Rebel. lol
O_o

Grenage
October 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Resist and Rebel. lol
O_o

That's copyright; if you don't agree, don't buy. ;)

Rasa1111
October 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM

bull.

I used to buy CD's, and let my friends borrow them to listen to,
and they would buy CD's and let me borrow them.

Same thing.
like it or not.

Ill buy and share what I like, thanks.

pihbar
October 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Depends on which country, I imagine.

TheAnachron
October 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Lol, you are allowed to borrow CDs.
And since he wants to share it only on several devices with Ubuntu One, there is no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to.

migs73
October 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM

buy a CD? want to let your friend borrow it? TOO BAD!

Resist and Rebel. lol
O_o
I hope you listened wearing headphones, we wouldn't want anyone 'sharing ' the music while you play it.:P

Pithikos
October 12th, 2010, 01:04 PM
well there is a bit debate on what should be called "own things". Is own things something you created on your own or something that you bought with your own money? ;)

Rasa1111
October 12th, 2010, 01:12 PM
well there is a bit debate on what should be called "own things". Is own things something you created on your own or something that you bought with your own money? ;)

Both.

I hope you listened wearing headphones, we wouldn't want anyone 'sharing ' the music while you play it.

lol, yeah seriously.

want to hear something? too bad, pay me first!

Lol, you are allowed to borrow CDs.
And since he wants to share it only on several devices with Ubuntu One, there is no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to.

lol, right.
but apparently that is "wrong". :guitar:

Grenage
October 12th, 2010, 02:13 PM
When you loan a CD, you are loaning them the actual CD - not a copy. You can't both listen to it at the same time (unless their stereo is really loud); with digital files, most people would just give their friend a copy of the file. That's where it goes from a loan to a breach of copyright, to the best of my knowledge.

TheAnachron
October 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Oh well, but I understood that he wants to share the music for himself only.
And well, he did buy all of them. So as long as he don't shares the stuff to the public, it's totally fine.

migs73
October 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
When you loan a CD, you are loaning them the actual CD - not a copy. You can't both listen to it at the same time (unless their stereo is really loud); with digital files, most people would just give their friend a copy of the file. That's where it goes from a loan to a breach of copyright, to the best of my knowledge.
Does that mean if he has only one copy on Ubuntu One, he could stream it to any device he is using?

Grenage
October 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I can't imagine there would ever be a problem with that, I was really responding directly to:

bull.

I used to buy CD's, and let my friends borrow them to listen to,
and they would buy CD's and let me borrow them.

Same thing.
like it or not.

Ill buy and share what I like, thanks.

Pithikos
October 13th, 2010, 12:59 AM
copyrights make me feel sick :-&

Pithikos
October 13th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Grenage http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9958850#post9958850)

What about copying a digital file to your mp3 player? Isn't that at the breach? Or is it allowed to make personal copies?
And what if you loan your mp3 player to a friend? Is it considered illegal then? :shock:

Captain Giraffe
October 13th, 2010, 01:11 AM
welcome to the new world. BTW you're late.

Rasa1111
October 13th, 2010, 01:56 AM
copyrights make me feel sick

They're supposed to. lol

What about copying a digital file to your mp3 player? Isn't that at the breach? Or is it allowed to make personal copies?
And what if you loan your mp3 player to a friend? Is it considered illegal then? :shock:

Yup, apparently ILLEGAL!
Criminals.

welcome to the new world. BTW you're late

maybe your world.
certainly isn't mine.

Not late, just chose not to "show up"

I chose not to "play" a long time ago. ;)
A choice I have, and made.
You can do the same.

I am a freeman on the land, brother. lol

Not a part of your [this*] society,
but apart from your [this*] society. ;)

One day those who don't see, will.
Once they realize the shackles are not even real.

23dornot23d
October 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Same here .... and we all have choices ..... choose to be free from the

You pay to borrow our music - and we sue if you re-distribute it in any way - mentality of today .....

The Real World is what you decide to make it ....

(Linux we choose it and its free and we move it around and all the programs yet we do not own it.)

Music .... some musicians - similar to the programmers in Linux want us to use and enjoy doing it for free - because its something they enjoy doing and get pleasure out of people enjoying it too.

If we as people stick to the same principles and do things for ourselves between ourselves and share things among ourselves - that we produce among ourselves our society still works .... and people are still happy if not happier.

__________________________________________________ ____________

The people that are not happy are the ones in the middle that act as distributors ...... managers ..... hangers on ..... they need your money.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Worry which is why this question was asked .... its all to do with money and the very Greedy .... they will sue you ....... that is the way they are ....... and we as people continue to pay them and put ourselves into that position for sharing things we buy .

Some people keep buying Music - But it is owned by someone else ..... you are just borrowing it ...... its never yours in the true meaning of yours.

{Windows is probably the same ... but once you stop using it - your out of the circle .... they have no right to sue you as you do not use their product .... they cannot keep adding adverts onto their Distribution - that they also get paid for ...... and I do not think virus's would exist to the extent they do if people were not paid *(just my view on this) ..... people make them and also paid to get rid of them. *(called good business in some places)}

I hope that you never record it of the radio ..... sinful .....

And the Music Played on ..... :guitar:

Sharing and Trading things without Money being involved ..... Now there's a thought

It started like that ..... I give you this for that ...... until the Greedy said no .... we will act as go betweens .... and add a percentage for handling .... and managing.

Trouble is people can become greedy over time - sometimes the managers are more wealthy than the people that produce - with the percentages they get paid ........

Something wrong there .

So to answer the question to sync some music that you do not own to Ubuntu One ..... you need permission from the person that owns it or more to the point possibly their manager .

Try to move away from the Trends ..... just find the best free music ... it exists.
There are many good musicians out there also on You Tube ...... it needs setting up to use it ..... one good database.

Rasa1111
October 13th, 2010, 02:41 AM
23dornot23d, I love you. lol

Thanks for holding onto the ability to critically think.
Nice when you see people thinking for themselves in a world that seems to have forgotten how.

Very well said, Thanks you.
Couldn't agree more. <3

Words of wisdom my friend.

Praises.

phredbull
October 13th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Most of the responses here are clearly from a FOSS viewpoint, but in reality, we do have to deal w/the copyright system, antiquated or not.

When you buy music from iTunes, for example, you agree to their terms, which allow you to back up your purchased music to a specific number of computers, and listen to it on a specific number of portable players.

If you obtain music under a Creative Commons license, then you agree to a much freer set of restrictions, (though there are still restrictions on usage).

If you obtain music that has no license agreement, then it's open season, those 1s and 0s are not legally protected, (generally speaking. Obviously, you can't sell it or use it in another production and claim it as your own work.)

It's the same with software; are you allowed make unlimited "backups" of proprietary software?

Whether you agree with this system of ownership is a whole separate issue, but I think the answer to the OP is,
"Yes, you can back up your music to UbuntuOne, provided you haven't already made more backups than allowed, (regardless of whether or not the embedded DRM functions on your system)."
:neutral:

Rasa1111
October 13th, 2010, 03:01 AM
When you buy music from iTunes, for example, you agree to their terms, which allow you to back up your purchased music to a specific number of computers, and listen to it on a specific number of portable players.

Back to the whole "choice" thing..
people have a choice to use itunes and be controlled by it , or not..
I choose not.

"and to listen to it on a specific number of music players"

lmao.

Wow. Seriously?

Would you all like fries with those chains?

Unreal.

bonixavier
October 13th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Regarding copyright, I agree with the authors of the following video:

Copying is not theft. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1QnXJYT9ao)

eveningsky339
October 13th, 2010, 03:18 AM
At this point the software world is flying so far away from traditional copyright that the idea of sharing and selling music may become moot. It essentially already happens.

phredbull
October 13th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Well, laugh if you will, but the same kind of restrictions apply to software, music, movies, pharmaceuticals, etc... Even if you're dying of AIDS, it's illegal to make your own copies of patented medications. I didn't make the rules, just telling it like it is.

OTOH, as a professional musician, it's nice to be able to make a living off of your hard work and creativity!

Grenage
October 13th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Just because you don't agree with a system, it doesn't mean you can just ignore it. By disregarding the conditions set down by the creators, you practice hypocrisy. I'll leave it at that; there's never any reasoning with confused zealots.

Pithikos
October 14th, 2010, 12:35 AM
That video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1QnXJYT9ao) I enjoyied :p

OTOH, as a professional musician, it's nice to be able to make a living off of your hard work and creativity!
Well look at Moby and say that. He is damn rich from his music, he lets lots of his soundtracks to be downloaded for free and he still survives. There are many other musicians like him. The thing is there are artists that live for art and there are artists that live for money.

Returning to the first post.. What's the use of synchronising your music folder? I can understand that if you are thinking of transferring your sounds to a portable player. Else I suggest just start using grooveshark so you have your music with you everywhere 8)

_outlawed_
October 14th, 2010, 12:49 AM

Why should we spend $20 to buy a CD with only 1 good song on it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouUBnH2rUcI

(warning: some swears in the video)

Chronon
October 14th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Most of the responses here are clearly from a FOSS viewpoint, but in reality, we do have to deal w/the copyright system, antiquated or not.
Actually, licenses like the GPL only carry weight if one accepts the power of coyright. If you do away with copyright then there is no reason to respect such copyleft distribution licenses. I do not think that the FOSS movement should be lumped in with movements like the pirate party who aim for the abolition of copyright. From my perspective there are important differences.

If you obtain music under a Creative Commons license, then you agree to a much freer set of restrictions, (though there are still restrictions on usage).
If you obtain music that has no license agreement, then it's open season, those 1s and 0s are not legally protected, (generally speaking. Obviously, you can't sell it or use it in another production and claim it as your own work.)
That isn't the case. If there is no license agreement then the material is assumed to be covered by copyright, all rights reserved. You are referring to items in the public domain, not items that don't carry a distribution license. The item in question must either be old enough for copyright protection to have lapsed (this isn't likely for any contemporary material) or must bear a disclaimer from its creator announcing its placement in the public domain.

phredbull
October 14th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Well look at Moby and say that. He is damn rich from his music, he lets lots of his soundtracks to be downloaded for free and he still survives. There are many other musicians like him. The thing is there are artists that live for art and there are artists that live for money.
Moby, Radiohead,and NIN were filthty stinkin rich way before the advent of digital distribution. They would not be giving their best music away for free it they were all living together in a 2 bedroon apartment and eating ramen noodles. And speaking of their best music, I really consider Radiohead's and NIN's free offerings to be markedly inferior to any of their albums that I bought. They sure ain't giving away anything like OK Computer or The Downward Spiral.
The struggle to make a living in a creative field is a whole separate can of worms.

PC_load_letter
October 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM

So if someone made a 'best of' cassette tape (back in the day) or a CD-R for a friend, that was an infringement of copyright? I believe that this would be considered fair use, same as making copies for personal use to preserve the original.

Now, sharing copyrighted music w/ a friend or two is one thing, sharing it w/ everyone on the internet is another, and the latter is obviously illegal.

Ms_Angel_D
October 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I believe this topic has veered off the highway, the drivers seem to have lost headlights and hit a few trees ;).