PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Enabling Bluetooth file reception on Ubuntu 10.10

onizuka45
October 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Can anyone tell me how to enable bluetooth file reception on Ubuntu 10.10 since I cannot send a file to my comp. using bluetooth even though I make my comp. visible to other devices in Bluetooth Preferences. Tq.

theopulus
October 13th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Same for me... it tells me I need the bluetooth sharing prefs but I can't find them...

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hope this helps,

Have you left-clicked on the bluetooth icon on top bar and selected "set up new device" and followed the wizard to pair your device first?

I just set to "visible" then and have no issues sending from to my phone/pc or pc/phone.

Hope thats all thats wrong :-)

theopulus
October 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah, have them paired, and I've managed to send files to the phone, but not to the PC... as I said, it seems it lacks of needed software (at least I cannot find it on Accesories)

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I had this issue on a previous ubuntu, try accessing your pc's shared folder with your phone, rather than pc to phone transfer, that may work as a workaround.

Think it maybe down a bug in network-manager, or minor incompatibility with your hardware.

PS: Just re-read your post, I don't suffer that issue, don't know how to deal with that maybe use a different bluetooth manager think there one called "blueman"

PPS: I am an Ubuntu 10.04TLTS user and don't have that problem, was just trying to help out, sorry I couldn't resolve it.

theopulus
October 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I had this issue on a previous ubuntu, try accessing your pc's shared folder with your phone, rather than pc to phone transfer, that may work as a workaround.

Think it maybe down a bug in network-manager, or minor incompatibility with your hardware.

PS: Just re-read your post, I don't suffer that issue, don't know how to deal with that maybe use a different bluetooth manager think there one called "blueman"

PPS: I am an Ubuntu 10.04TLTS user and don't have that problem, was just trying to help out, sorry I couldn't resolve it.

Ok, don't worry... Maybe a complete reinstallation do the job, but I'm a bit lazy about that ;-)

shadowpt
October 13th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Bluetooth can't even find my cell phone :(

Melclic
October 15th, 2010, 12:05 AM
This solved it for me. Go to Synaptic Package Manager, search and select to install for :

Apache2.2.bin
lib-apache2-mod-dnssd
gnome-user-share

I guess that there are some missing packages.
You can then go and select from the preferences of the bluetooth icon "receive files"

(I also installed bluetooth manager, but I don't think that that was the problem)

Hope that helps

budi_indira
October 17th, 2010, 02:42 AM
This solved it for me. Go to Synaptic Package Manager, search and select to install for :

Apache2.2.bin
lib-apache2-mod-dnssd
gnome-user-share

You can then go and select from the preferences of the bluetooth icon "receive files"

(I also installed bluetooth manager, but I don't think that that was the problem)

Hope that helps

thx man :D
It works !

jimmyxu
October 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM
:guitar:

Apache2.2.bin
lib-apache2-mod-dnssd
gnome-user-share

Hope that helps

my 10.10 after install this packages it works.

Apache2.2.bin
gnome-user-share

thanks a lot.

anlag
October 26th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks Melclic, that worked great for me as well! Only needed two of the packages though:

Apache2.2.bin
lib-apache2-mod-dnssd
gnome-user-share

In fact the third one, lib-apache2-mod-dnssd, is not available in my (rather extensive) repositories. Since it wasn't needed though, who cares eh? :)

byronbgs
January 16th, 2011, 04:56 PM
FYI: I had the same problem and I just installed gnome-user-share and went to System......"Personal File Sharing". Check off the appropriate boxes for Bluetooth to receive files. :)

P.S. Apache2.2.bin is not installed on my system but I just found out it is required to share files over a network so I installed it.

myscam
January 22nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melclic View Post

Apache2.2.bin
lib-apache2-mod-dnssd
gnome-user-share

Hope that helps

my 10.10 after install this packages it works.

Apache2.2.bin
gnome-user-share

thanks a lot.

This worked for me too using a USB Bluetooth Dongle on 10.10. Thanks for the help. Please note : I had to do a restart after installing the packages, then only the bluetooth icon lit up in the system tray.

I love Ubuntu. Respects and appreciation are due to Mr Mark Shuttleworth.