PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution hanging on startup

adm1
October 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hi

I've been using Ubuntu for about two years, and have had such a good time with it that this is the first time I have asked for help in the forums. I'm really hoping that someone will be able to help with this problem.

I've been using Evolution for about six months (switched from Thunderbird because I wanted integrated calendar). It has started to hang on startup, giving me multiple "Scanning folders" messages at the bottom, and has to be killed. I have searched through previous posts on related problems, and have tried killing all Evolution processes (evolution-alarm-notify was identified as a culprit elsewhere, but doesn't seem to affect my problem), and also renaming the ~/.evolution directory before running again. Neither has any effect: whatever I do, I cannot start Evolution.

The only possible thing I can think of is that the last time Evolution was working, I set up a new mail account, and I changed the name of the existing one. But I closed and re-opened Evolution several times during that session so, unless some process remained active throughout, this seems unlikely to be the problem. If I could, I would reverse these changes as part of my search for a solution, but, of course, I can't do so without opening Evolution.

Any help on this problem will be hugely appreciated. I really don't want to have to give up on Evolution...