PDA

View Full Version : Anybody happy with Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10?

Aetixintro
October 12th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Yes, is anybody happy with Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10? I think it's working beautifully!

I'm not entirely sure of it's significance from 10.04, but it's sparkling...

I thinking about making some useful links here to quickly apply so you can surely enjoy too!

This will include changing the start-up screen that you can find advise on here on the forums...

Have a good day! :)

tonykelts
October 12th, 2010, 06:37 AM
:P
I got almost everything to work so, yes, I am happy with 10.10.

lancest
October 12th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Running perfectly on 4 machines.

foxmulder881
October 12th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Apart from no ability to have my email signature in Evolution, yep I'm super happy and it's super snappy.

Prof138
October 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Definitely not!! I installed upgrade on one PC and did upgrade on another. In both cases Internet connection required Keyring Password unlike being preset in 10.04 and Pokerstars.com does not work with Wine where it worked perfectly in 10.04. Load time was only about 5 secs faster than 10.04.
I will delete both installations and go back to 10.04 which is nearly the perfect 10!

BlazeFire247
October 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM
It's running good, but it lags sometimes (it actually has a fewer programs installed than the previous Lucid installation of mine). And my screen resolution doesn't like getting changed. The rest works pretty fine and I can deal with the tinyness.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Definitely not!! I installed upgrade on one PC and did upgrade on another. In both cases Internet connection required Keyring Password unlike being preset in 10.04 and Pokerstars.com does not work with Wine where it worked perfectly in 10.04. Load time was only about 5 secs faster than 10.04.
I will delete both installations and go back to 10.04 which is nearly the perfect 10!

My experience was that if you hit cancel when it asks to create a keyring and still connects, that it never asks again. Those keyrings are designed to protect passwords, but I've never understood why anyone would want to put a wireless key in there. There are better ways to control networks.

cariboo
October 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM

So you're going to spend a couple of hours re-installing Lucid, instead of spending 10 minutes searching for howto solve your two minor problems?

To solve your keyring problem, have a look here (http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1445470).

end3rkid
October 12th, 2010, 07:15 AM
How I can upgrade from 10.04? On the update manager it doesn't give me that option to upgrade to 10.10.

davidvandoren
October 12th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Did you do an update or a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10.
If you did an update, out of my own experience, unless you have hundreds of Gigabytes of data to move, it's a waste of time.
The update took me several hours and did not complete at the end. At one point I stopped writing down all the warnings. Taking screen shots did not work and copy and save from the terminal either.

So after two hours wasting my time, I decided to move my 20 gigabytes of dater to a save place and use my usb for a fresh install.

I custom formatted the drive using a boot partition swap and main with ext3 instead of ext4. It took me 20 minutes to install with Internet enabled.
And I am happy with it so far.
It installed the pae kernel by default. No crashing which I had with all my previous attempts.
Only cinelerra is not available yet.
And the Nvidia N220GT 2x500MB DDR3 gives me this
NVRM: os_raise_smp_barrier(), invalid context! in the logs but no crashes.

Khakilang
October 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I use another hard disk to install 10.10 and its works great. But I still stick to 10.04 only because I had too many software install and find a hassle to install it all over again. I will only do it if my Lucid Lynx crash big time.

alphacrucis2
October 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Working well for me. The only real issue I have encountered is getting googleearth 5.2 to work. I'm hoping medibuntu will come to the rescue on that but I have a suspicion that googleearth doesn't like the Catalyst 10.10 blob. The old medibuntu 5.1, the new googleearth-package version or just downloading the installer from google all crash with a signal 6 error on startup with a call to an ATI GL module. I'm not having trouble with any other openGL apps. OMGUBUNTU say that 5.2 works good with the OSS driver on Ubuntu 10.10

Arsenal_86
October 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Apart from no ability to have my email signature in Evolution, yep I'm super happy and it's super snappy.

Can you give me some reasons why I should use EVOLUTION instead of using normal Gmail,Windows Live mail etc?

Some really useful things Evolutn can do but traditional mail can't?

gintovan
October 12th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I am very happy with the Meerkat for sure! It has been a incredibly smooth ride from the install.

So now I am ready for 11.04... Is it out yet? :P

siimo
October 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I have been running the Meerkat for 2-3 months now and I do not have any annoying issues. So I guess I am happy.

But I do it different to most people, started off with boot cd and installed base system, added X and XFCE later and other packages as needed, also the kernel is custom with Tux-on-ice patches.

So I am not really running a vanilla Meerkat.

DescendeadRose
October 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm really loving it so far! The differences from 10.04 seem subtle so far, at least in the ways that I use my computer, but I'm really loving it. The first time ever since I started using Ubuntu, that EVERYTHING on my laptop works properly right out of the install! That alone made me happy :P

andymorton
October 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Very happy. It's solid as a rock!

Arsenal_86
October 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I can see the time when Ubuntu will overtake OS X in functionality wise. Already ubuntu is as good as OS X in desktop look-and-feel area!

take my words...11.xy will be much better than 10 series..

I'm lovin' it!!

roddie
October 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
How I can upgrade from 10.04? On the update manager it doesn't give me that option to upgrade to 10.10.
In the Update Manager, go to Settings > Updates and at the bottom (under Release upgrade) select 'Normal releases' from the dropdown. I think the default might be 'LTS releases only' so Maverick won't show up.

philinux
October 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Works ok here.

Edit>prefs>highlight any account and edit. Add a new Sig.

markmill73
October 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
In both cases Internet connection required Keyring Password unlike being preset in 10.04

I am getting the same, and i am considering reloading 10.04

peterinmalaga
October 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Itś not working well on my laptop but works well on my netbook. The mouse arrow keeps freezing on the laptop, the sound isnt working and the computer keeps crashing. All seemed well at first. I think I will go back to Lucid on the laptop. If someone has a quick fix, I'd be grateful but other wise I prefer to go back to Lucid, which will save me hours of tinkering.

4chan
October 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM
i'm disappoint with maverick, sound is pretty messed up!
ill stick with Lucid

Arsenal_86
October 12th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I haven't tried but will upgrade soon.

disastrophe
October 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM
It's okay, Ubuntu will never be my distro of choice - personally I'd rather add my own fluff to Debian and avoid some of the unneeded and unwanted lard.
But out of curiosity - mainly because of the kernel upgrade - I tried it on a spare set of partitions, removed all the crap I won't use(ubuntuone, vino, vinagre, etc.) and ran the **** out of it :twisted:, and it goes pretty good (but then again, almost any distro does that isn't broken) and seemed fairly stable too. Accelerated 3D was fair, did some heavy gaming with it and no show stoppers. Sound is acceptable with a little nurturing (Pulse.)
Cache seems a bit greedy, but that's not a prob. Very light on the cpu. Network throughput is very good.
Over it seems like a good release of Ubuntu.

ade234uk
October 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Yes, is anybody happy with Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10? I think it's working beautifully!

I thinking about making some useful links here to quickly apply so you can surely enjoy too!

This will include changing the start-up screen that you can find advise on here on the forums...

Think it's brilliant. No issues.

MarilenCorciovei
October 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Quite happy with Maverick on my netbook (http://www.len.ro/2010/10/ubuntu-10-10-netbook-first-impressions/). Worth a try.

Bapun007
October 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 working fine for me so i m not upgrade yet .

Stephen Timoshenko
October 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Works perfectly on my computer.

_outlawed_
October 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
10.10 is like...the best thing since sliced bread! :popcorn:

niM_xaM
October 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
No, I'm not happy with Meerkat. I have ATI card and Meerkat doesnt seem to work well with it. Ever since I upgraded to Meerkat, I would get a messed up display followed by total system freeze, which can strike at any time and for no apparent reasons..

I've experienced this during browsing / playing video / working on open office / even when typing commands on the terminal )... this is similar to the infamous "Blue Screen of Death" in windows..

Everything was working fine on 10.04 Lucid though..

Downloaded the latest proprietary ATI driver from AMD v10-9 but when i run it, i get the following error message:

root@Dave-HOME:/home/david# ./ati-driver-installer-10-9-x86.x86_64.run
Created directory fglrx-install.eRItKv
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver-8.771............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
================================================== ===================
ATI Technologies Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.35-22-generic-pae:; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.eRItKv

I dont know, I may just switch back to 10.04 Lucid, or switch distro altogether..

Does anyone experience the same problem?

Or, is there anyone with ATI card and Meerkat working smoothly? ( especially ATI HD 3XXX series )
Please share ur experiences, very eager to find out more..

Cheers,

niM_xaM

scouser73
October 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Very happy with 10.10, no problems at all and a very quick installation.

uninventiveheart
October 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Working beautifully... I notice it's a bit snappier than 10.04 on my system overall. Networkmanager reads my Sprint 3G/4G card, and while 4G still doesn't work, 3G isn't dying every 20 seconds to come back disconnected and ready to reconnect.

As far as chrome and user experience, not much difference over 10.04, but I don't use Netbook Remix or have an interest in Unity, so that's why. Otherwise, not bad out of the box.

Aetixintro
October 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
To niM_xaM
I've had an Nvidia screen at one point and I experienced something similar to you when I tried the proprietary driver, but when I switched back to the generic one, everything worked well.
I think you should stick with the generic one and wait until your ATI has been solved. Or you will have to do what you say, fall back to 10.04 or switch distro.

Good luck! :)

SomeGuyDude
October 12th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Loving it over here.

moma
October 12th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Hello.
Very satisfied here too. Running 64bit Ubuntu.
This guide... (http://www.futuredesktop.org/#step6) saved my today. I did the guide yesterday.

ctrlmd
October 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
i've download it and install it but i couldn't find big differences between 10.04 and 10.10
maybe i should skip a release or two to feel the change

the only problem i faced was when i installed Nividia graphical driver the boot loading where it says ubuntu loading "gone" and replaced with black screen for 5 sec or so then the login screen shows up.

rossiFan
October 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I like it a lot, but I came from SLED 11, so of course Meerkat seems like the Prodigal OS.

Chilongola
October 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Anxious to join the group who re happy with it. I am an Ubuntu lover but... This time around when I but on the cd to commence install I get "no default or UI configuration directive found"

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9959636#post9959636

Can anyone direct me to a solution
Thanks

kraus3742
October 12th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have been running Maverick since Alpha 3 on my Dell E1705 and I am extremely happy. It's been stable all throughout the testing cycle. On the flip side however, on my Dell Mini 10 I am not experiencing what I would have expected. Unity seems to be a bold switch that was made to hastily.

98cwitr
October 12th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Will be tonight when I install it...my SSD has been out to Mushkin getting uncapped for 3 freakin weeks

gemmakaru
October 12th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah loving it so far, Lucid gave me a few issues, not seen any so far with Maverick. I installed it on a brand new ssd and blimey its good.

Rasa1111
October 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Very happy. It's solid as a rock!

Same here Andy!

I have never been happier with an OS in all my life!
I have never been happier with my old computer in my/its life! lol

Out of the 5 different computers Ive installed 10.10 on so far,
they are all rock solid!

Only one laptop has a wireless issue that ive yet to work out,
but the others wireless worked perfect out of the box.

Other than that,
Ive never had a better experience with an operating system, ever!

Ive been using it a bit over a month,
and each day i use it, I am more impressed.

and i have not found a computer yet that will not work with it,
and everything works! (besides the wireless on the one).

It is crazy solid, and very stable!

I'm amazed.lol

I plan on using Ubuntu until i leave this plane, or until technology as we know it, ends, and we all go 'back to the land'. lol

I really cannot believe i love an OS this much! lol
I never knew such fondness of a computer OS could be possible. :lol:

BigSilly
October 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Very, very solid. Extremely happy. Brilliant release. My heartfelt thanks to the developers. :)

Ubuntu has been getting sweeter and sweeter. Now it's beginning to feel very serious. This is good news for the computing world.

verymadpip
October 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm having a lot of problems :confused:

Looks like back to lucid or another distro for now.

I likes Ubuntu too, shame.

Gonna play some modern warfare 2 on ******* /shudder/ & have a big think...

jkxx
October 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Add my name to the happy user list. Although it took some work to get there (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593839.

Practically everything works the way I want it to and Ubuntu is very snappy and just fast at doing everything. I've actually been having ubuntu running the whole time and now prefer it to Vista which is not something I could say before.

If it wasn't so picky about hardware I'd have installed it on the other computers around here too to replace the exploit-laden Windows installs on them. Still, works very well for me.

A big thumbs up to the ubuntu dev team and Canonical. :grin:

sn0m
October 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Well i can't get ffmpeg to convert to mp4 and it does it perfectly in lucid so sorry but I will stick with lucid for the time being. It is strange cas it never happened before when upgrading to a new distro, ?has cannonical run out of server space or anything to do with new software centre? So till i find out how to compile ffmpeg with all the codecs I'm not doing anything else.
Sokol

ratcheer
October 12th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I am completely happy with 10.10. As far as I'm concerned, its the best release ever.

Tim

cookr35
October 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Well so far it's doing everything I've asked it to(which isn't much), so I have to say I'm really happy with it.

beew
October 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Very, very happy. But since I am also very happy with Lucid (and I have been using it for a lot longer so it is proven reliable) I will not upgrade it. I will install Maverick on a different machine instead.

MooPi
October 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I've experienced just one problem. I was trying to convert .ogv files to .avi and my sound wasn't in sync. I've read a couple of issues with ffmpeg and mencoder. Other than that it is a wonderful load and works great. I normally don't use Gnome desktop but I've loaded Meerkat on my test box in hopes I'll learn a thing or two. It should help me on the forum helping others.

alexfish
October 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM
NO

just tried gbrainy

how many numbers '9' are required to represent the numbers 10 to 100?

Totally Stumped

apart from that Solid as a Rock :P

conradin
October 12th, 2010, 11:53 PM
w00t painless update! This should elate long time users and not annoy the new ones. -- Like my Gf who is now using Ubuntu regularly.

Frogs Hair
October 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I'm pleased with 10.10 so far .

verymadpip
October 13th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I've just clean installed again.
Let's hope all is well

Foster Grant
October 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM

Overjoyed. :) Everything works.

And I'm using the new typeface for everything. You'd almost think it's the only typeface installed on the system. :grin:

verymadpip
October 13th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Not too bad.

Rhythmbox has packed up though. Good job there's alternatives out there.

verymadpip
October 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Sit rep:
Rhythmbox has started working. Deep joy :)
Adding compiz ppa borks stuff though (that's why I had to clean install again)

I'm happier than I was though, & I'm loving the new font, but I am a sucker for typography.

texla
October 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
64 Bit Maverick - Just wonderful! Just tried it on a whim this morning but now I will never go back to 32 bit Lucid. Hard to explain how easy this was to install, and how smooth everything is - office, firefox, flash, music - thanks y'all!

peace

disastrophe
October 13th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Maybe of interest, here are some benchmark tests comparing Maverick with previous releases. Phoronix - Ubuntu 10.10 Benchmarks (http://%22http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1010_benchmarks&num=1)

666f6f
October 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Maybe of interest, here are some benchmark tests comparing Maverick with previous releases. Phoronix - Ubuntu 10.10 Benchmarks (http://%22http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1010_benchmarks&num=1)

It seems that the link is broken!

666f6f
October 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM
10.10 is like...the best thing since sliced bread! :popcorn:

+1 :guitar:

Arsenal_86
October 13th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Just upgraded o Maverick but didn't found much difference from Lucid! :-o It works fine on my machine though!!! I like Lucid wallpapers much than of Maverick.

Fire_Chief
October 13th, 2010, 11:09 PM

Here, this one does not have the dup http prefix on it. :)
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1010_benchmarks&num=1

cpmman
October 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM

Or, is there anyone with ATI card and Meerkat working smoothly? ( especially ATI HD 3XXX series )

Cheers,

niM_xaM

Not 3XXX but 4200

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9964610&postcount=2 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9964610&postcount=2)

might help.

cgroza
October 13th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I did an update via apt and it spit a few error but it was nothing. Works like a charm. next week I'll switch the other PC to the LTS. On my computer I want to be cutting edge.

Dragynn
October 13th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Can you give me some reasons why I should use EVOLUTION instead of using normal Gmail,Windows Live mail etc?

Some really useful things Evolutn can do but traditional mail can't?

What? You don't like downloading the spam and the viruses and the malware and the tracking software directly to your hard drive?

Philistine!:lolflag:

Yeah, I got so burnt out on fixing computers wiped out by Outlook and Thunderbird that it's the first question I ask now, and if they use any of that crap, I won't fix it for them. Serves them right really.

m3topaz
October 13th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I can see the time when Ubuntu will overtake OS X in functionality wise. Already ubuntu is as good as OS X in desktop look-and-feel area!

take my words...11.xy will be much better than 10 series..

I'm lovin' it!!

Ubuntu has already passed OSX. I have the latest variant on a Macbook and the day-job 10.10 on a Dell Studio wipes it out in every single area.

All this hype about usability may be dismissed: as we are at a point where you can get things done rapidly on Ubuntu - and merely labour under the illusion of progress with the Mac equivalent.

alexfish
October 13th, 2010, 11:57 PM
more I look the more I like

just done a memory check

ubuntu 10.04 = 358.9 Mib

ubuntu 10.10 = 289.2 Mib

libssd
October 14th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Here, this one does not have the dup http prefix on it. :)
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1010_benchmarks&num=1

Thanks for the link to Phoronix. I don't see any significant performance improvements from 10.04 to 10.10. I have installed 10.10 on an 8gb USB thumb drive, so performance comparisons between it and the 32gb SSD on which I have 10.04 installed are meaningless.

Overall, 10.10 seems to be causing fewer problems at this stage in its release than were reported for 10.04 soon after its release, which is encouraging.

However, in general, I don't like installing a new version soon after its release, especially if I am happy with the release I am currently using (10.04 LTS). When the dust settles on 10.10, I'll probably try an upgrade (rather than clean install) to see what happens, but if I can't upgrade successfully, I'll just restore 10.04 from a Remasystersys backup. I've done a fair amount of tweaking to get 10.04 to work the way I want, and I am unwilling to have to re-apply all that effort with a clean install of 10.10.

jvpgomes
October 14th, 2010, 12:34 AM
No, I'm not happy.
I already lost so many time with this.
I use Ubuntu since version 5.10 and I never had so many problems like in the most recent versions.

I'm trying to install Maverick from a usb disk.
But, during the installation, I always receive this message:
"An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed."

I already tried the desktop CD and the alternate CD.
I also tried creating the usb disk using the usb-creator from Ubuntu and the tool from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer.exe which is suggested in the Ubuntu web page.

I checked the MB5 checksum to both iso files.

I also checked my partitions.

Does any one has any suggestion that might help me?

Thank you!

libssd
October 14th, 2010, 12:35 AM
more I look the more I like

just done a memory check

ubuntu 10.04 = 358.9 Mib

ubuntu 10.10 = 289.2 Mib

Are these figures immediately after boot, or after similar amounts of activity? I'm seeing much lower initial RAM usage with 10.04, in the range of 170 mb. As things are cached, this number rises, of course.

DarkLilith
October 14th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I'm very happy with it! Fresh installed it on my laptop and it's been working like a charm. Also, I noticed my laptop isn't running as hot as it was when I was running Vista (I wonder why :p).

The only issue I have at the moment is that when I updated today my task bar at the top has gone kind of wonky with the icons... not sure what that's about *shrug*. If anyone knows about that one I would be appreciative of a fix!

libssd
October 14th, 2010, 12:49 AM
No, I'm not happy.
I already lost so many time with this.
I use Ubuntu since version 5.10 and I never had so many problems like in the most recent versions.

I'm trying to install Maverick from a usb disk.
But, during the installation, I always receive this message:
"An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed."

I already tried the desktop CD and the alternate CD.
I also tried creating the usb disk using the usb-creator from Ubuntu and the tool from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer.exe which is suggested in the Ubuntu web page.

I checked the MB5 checksum to both iso files.

I also checked my partitions.

Does any one has any suggestion that might help me?

Thank you!
I installed 10.10 from a 2gb USB thumb drive without incident today:

1. Downloaded ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso
2. Used Startup Disk Creator to burn the ISO to a 2gb USB
3. Booted from USB and installed to 8gb USB WITHOUT using the "download updates while installing" option.

Good guide here: http://www.linuxcompatible.org/news/story/ubuntu_1010_maverik_meerkat_install_guide.html

qamelian
October 14th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I'm happy with 10.10. In fact, it's the first release since Breezy Badger that I have liked this much.

alexfish
October 14th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Are these figures immediately after boot, or after similar amounts of activity? I'm seeing much lower initial RAM usage with 10.04, in the range of 170 mb. As things are cached, this number rises, of course.

had been running 10.10 for about 2 hours only app web browser firefox

10.04 after boot , with only firefox on this check ,

although , as said things rise

will do a another , fresh boot , no app , to confirm

alexfish

alexfish
October 14th, 2010, 01:40 AM
OK

fresh boot no apps

10.04 = 291.9 Mib
10.10 = 200.5 Mib

libssd
October 14th, 2010, 01:48 AM
For Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, running gedit and terminal:

System Monitor shows 203 mb of memory in use: 10% by programs; 55% in use as cache.

$ uptime
20:37:28 up 12:12, 2 users, load average: 0.62, 0.63, 0.67

$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2003 1247 756 0 60 984
-/+ buffers/cache: 203 1800
Swap: 1492 0 1492

After reboot, System Monitor shows 180 mb of memory in use: 10% by programs; 45% in use as cache.

$ uptime
20:40:58 up 0 min, 2 users, load average: 2.45, 0.65, 0.22

$ free -m
Mem: 2003 949 1054 0 179 609
-/+ buffers/cache: 160 1843
Swap: 1492 0 1492

For Ubuntu 10.10, running gedit and terminal:

System monitor reports 173 mb memory used: 9% in use by programs, 9% in use as cache

$ uptime
20:52:46 up 3 min, 2 users, load average: 0.85, 0.67, 0.29
libssd@AA1-1010:~$ free -m
Mem: 2003 395 1608 0 34 192
-/+ buffers/cache: 168 1834
Swap: 521 0 521

I have made some performance tuning changes for 10.04 (but have not yet done so for 10.10), which may be why buffers and cache values are so different, but overall, I'm not seeing major differences in total memory usage between 10.04 LTS and 10.10.

Maximus559
October 14th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I am completely unhappy with 10.10. I have Ubuntu installed on two of my machines: my 2002 Dell desktop and my 2010 Acer netbook. Both were running 10.04 flawlessly, and I decided to upgrade both instead of doing two fresh 10.10 installs. On the desktop, I lost 3d acceleration, due to my Geforce4 MX 420 not being supported (as explained here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592628&page=3)). Deal breaker.

On the netbook, everything seems to work fine, but Unity, quite frankly, is a disaster. In what way does the new interface preserve screen space? The old UNR condensed the top and bottom menu bars into one, saving precious vertical pixels. Now we have TWO top menu bars, as well as a side bar that never goes away. This means a 10% reduction of screen space available for applications, which is significant. Now you have to scroll from side to side to see any website formatted for 1024x768 displays. Again, deal breaker. And, it may just personal taste, but I don't like the look of Unity. It reminds me too much of an dumbed down Apple product.

In light of these problems, I will be performing two fresh installs of 10.04 as soon as I have time. If and when the new Nvidia 96 drivers are released, I'll upgrade my desktop to 10.10. As for the netbook, I don't know. Unity would have to change A LOT before it would be acceptable.

libssd
October 14th, 2010, 02:24 AM
On the netbook, everything seems to work fine, but Unity, quite frankly, is a disaster. In what way does the new interface preserve screen space? The old UNR condensed the top and bottom menu bars into one, saving precious vertical pixels. Now we have TWO top menu bars, as well as a side bar that never goes away. This means a 10% reduction of screen space available for applications, which is significant. Now you have to scroll from side to side to see any website formatted for 1024x768 displays. Again, deal breaker.
I also downloaded ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso and did a quick test install today on an AA1 (1024x600); I had a similar reaction, and immediately trashed it.

User interfaces are highly personal and subjective, and the nice thing about Linux (almost any flavor) is that if you don't like the UI, you can tweak it.

I like to run panels at top and bottom:
Top: default Ubuntu menus plus a bunch of status-y things, like system monitor, force quit, Disk Mounter, Tracker, Notification Area, Indicator Applet, and IA Session.
Bottom: Stripped down to Window List, and Trash.
Both panels have the "hide" buttons activated, so I can push them out of the way to maximize screen space (or use F11).

All the programs that I use frequently are invoked by keyboard shortcuts; e.g., Ctrl-Alt-T = Terminal; Ctrl-Alt-G = Google Chrome, etc.

This approach makes sensible (to me) use of limited screen space, and minimizes use of mouse/trackpad. But, it might seem totally incoherent or opaque to someone else. It's my machine, and works the way I want it to.

rajcan
October 14th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Wondrously happy with Maverick. I'm running windows 7 on my laptop and I've got it installed in virtualbox. The problem I had with Lucid was that it would hang during the boot process if installed in a vm for me, so I had to switch to fedora 13 for a time. Got Maverick installed last night and everything's working just fine. I actually got Kubuntu, cause I'm a die hard KDE fan, and was fantastically surprised when KWin's desktop effects worked in vbox! I've been using Ubuntu since Hardy, and I've never gotten desktop effects to work in a vm. If Maverick will work with my wireless I've severely tempted to dual boot my machine with it.

johntaylor1887
October 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Meerkat Netbook Edition won't install on my Acer Aspire One netbook. Oh well, no big deal as 10.04 Netbook Remix works perfect on it. Both my desktop and netbook are going to stay 10.04. I'm going to wait for 11.04 reinstall again.

Jonny87
October 14th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I tried the beta briefly on my laptop and was impressed, as I installed it via an upgrade, was impressed with the fact that there was no issue doing an upgrade. Then I was experiencing trouble getting it to browse networks (though now I think it may have been something else other than 10.10 causing the drama) so I went back to 10.04. Am considering upgrading it again. Though I'm curious, what does 10.10 have to offer that 10.04 doesn't? During the brief beta test that I did I notice some great little GNOME upgrades, but what else does it offer?

As for my desktop though I plan to keep that on LTS's unless I see the need to upgrade.

gunashekar
October 14th, 2010, 04:15 AM
upgraded since beta. No complaints.. great as ever.

website.reader3
October 14th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Not happy. I had to do 5 installs and reformat 3 disk drives at least 3 or 4 times, moving partitions around. Then after I got the boot problem with grub2 solved, I now find out that the Nvidia driver version 96 is broken with a missing symbol miEmptyData which breaks the xserver, hence no GUI.

Then I find out that this is a public bug since at least August 24th of this year.. and what are we supposed to do? Go down to Frye's and buy a whole new complete system and new monitor? (which always seems to be too far ahead to have the drivers keep up)

How soon can we expect to get Bug 616394 fixed?

see https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/msg84140.html so apparently a few people know about this

HUGE SIGH! :(

badpuppy83
October 14th, 2010, 05:51 AM
yes, and no.

Ran the update on two computers, an emachine and my dell inspiron e1505. the emachine runs flawlessly after the update. My dell after a restart would not boot up and instead gave me some fatal error message that I should have written down but did not. My laptop was paperweight so I had to reinstall 10.04.

Khakilang
October 14th, 2010, 06:08 AM
No complaint here. Tested on another hard disk. Download the restricted extras can watch movies, listen to song, surf the internet and among other things. Splash screen is smooth and better looking than Lucid. Boot up time is slightly faster. I guess I am also one of the happy one.

gymophett
October 14th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Honestly, it's run better on my laptop than any other version. I love it.

bamabaso@gmail.com
October 14th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Is there anyone that is happy with 10.10, that didn't do fresh install? In other words, you upgraded, over the network or alternate cd, to 10.10 and everything still works perfect? All your installed programs? Upgrading 10 10.10 updates a lot of packages, but it also removes some...

Just wondering...

Iksf
October 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Did that once 8.10 to 9.04, computer was already so full of rubbish that when you added 9.04 on top of all that it would barely even start up. Worked brilliantly after wipe and fresh install though, always done that since

jvpgomes
October 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I installed 10.10 from a 2gb USB thumb drive without incident today:

1. Downloaded ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso
2. Used Startup Disk Creator to burn the ISO to a 2gb USB
3. Booted from USB and installed to 8gb USB WITHOUT using the "download updates while installing" option.

Good guide here: http://www.linuxcompatible.org/news/story/ubuntu_1010_maverik_meerkat_install_guide.html

I tried with and without Internet connection.
I also tried with the startup disk creator and with a similar one in a computer with windows.
The result was always the same.

It seems there are a few complains because of usb startup over the Internet.
And there is this open bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/658865

Nightstrike2009
October 14th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I am quite surprised 10.10 works fin on mine "Update Manager" had problems downloading certain files on 3G Modems but then again so did 10.04LTS, god knows how or why this happens.

I previously hated x.10 releases but Maverick has been quite pleasant so far. :-)

Fire_Chief
October 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Is there anyone that is happy with 10.10, that didn't do fresh install? In other words, you upgraded, over the network or alternate cd, to 10.10 and everything still works perfect? All your installed programs? Upgrading 10 10.10 updates a lot of packages, but it also removes some...

Just wondering...

I did an upgrade from 10.04 on my Thinkpad T60 and it's been flawless. :biggrin:

jvpgomes
October 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Quite unhappy with 10.10.
It's becoming a common feeling every time I try a new and recent ubuntu version.

Plymouth theme sometimes works and other times it doesn't.
The first time I unplugged the laptop from the power supply, it went directly to the suspend mode (no, it wasn't configured in the gnome power manager to do so).
By the way, each new version, the gnome power manager is less configurable.
A few frezes...
And I still didn't test the suspend and hibernation modes... which stopped working correctly since 9.10.

It seems that some of the previous versions issues were not addressed just because they didn't affect too many users. This is the opposite of what was generally the Linux philosophy, and even the ubuntu's philosophy...

And the worst thing is that many of these problems were not present in the versions before 9.10.
My laptop has 5 years, it doesn't have any new and unsupportable hardware and it have been fully supported by Ubuntu since the beginning...

Yes, I like the Ubuntu's appearance... it is more beautiful than ever...
But it is also more unstable than ever.

I guess their goal is being accomplished: being very alike to Mac OS. Each version is more beautiful, and each version supports less computers.

Ubuntu is more similar to Mac OS. Kubuntu is more similar to Windows.
I miss the old Ubuntu that was more similar to... Ubuntu...

bopfan
October 14th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hi! I am totally new to both Ubuntu and to the Wind. Have been a Mac user since.....well since the 512KE in 1985. Bought a used Wind U100 (2 gig memory with 120 gig HD) with the goal of loading Snow Leopard. Had problems finding a copy of SnowyWind but in my search I discovered Ubuntu 10.10. Very cool indeed! Decided that I wouldn't bother with Leo and would just install 10.10 instead. Been using it about 2 days....uh yeah definitely a newbie! But I do like it. So after that intro I have some questions for those with much more experience than I. 1. I would like to swap out the 120 GB HD for a 250 GB HD. Watched a couple of YouTube videos and it looks simple. Am assuming of course that the Wind U100 would have no issues with the larger drive. Is that correct? 2. In the Mac world we use programs like Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make exact copies of our HD's. Is there a similar application for Ubuntu 10.10? Sure would make things easier!!! 3. How can I change my password? Every time it wakes up from sleep it asks for my PW. I need a shorter password! Or just disable the password login. 4. Yeah, I know. I gotta a lot of questions. But this is the last one. For now. Running vertically along the left hand side of the screen is something quite similar to the dock in Snow Leopard. Can I remove and add apps/programs to that dock (or whatever you call it) It appears that somehow the Rhythmbox app is no longer in the "dock". Again I am pretty impressed with 10.10. TIA

jvpgomes
October 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I forgot to mention that, when the laptop is running with battery, when I click in the gnome power manager, the message is Laptop battery (estimating...). So, I don't even know how much power do I still have.

It's also annoying that I have to click in the icon to see the remaining time. It should be enough to simply pass the pointer over the icon. But this is an issue that comes from the previous version...

Quite unhappy with 10.10.
It's becoming a common feeling every time I try a new and recent ubuntu version.

Plymouth theme sometimes works and other times it doesn't.
The first time I unplugged the laptop from the power supply, it went directly to the suspend mode (no, it wasn't configured in the gnome power manager to do so).
By the way, each new version, the gnome power manager is less configurable.
A few frezes...
And I still didn't test the suspend and hibernation modes... which stopped working correctly since 9.10.

It seems that some of the previous versions issues were not addressed just because they didn't affect too many users. This is the opposite of what was generally the Linux philosophy, and even the ubuntu's philosophy...

And the worst thing is that many of these problems were not present in the versions before 9.10.
My laptop has 5 years, it doesn't have any new and unsupportable hardware and it have been fully supported by Ubuntu since the beginning...

Yes, I like the Ubuntu's appearance... it is more beautiful than ever...
But it is also more unstable than ever.

I guess their goal is being accomplished: being very alike to Mac OS. Each version is more beautiful, and each version supports less computers.

Ubuntu is more similar to Mac OS. Kubuntu is more similar to Windows.
I miss the old Ubuntu that was more similar to... Ubuntu...

cinnabubbles
October 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Runs well for me. :) All the programs I use on my Windows machine has a Ubuntu version, so the switch was pretty painless.

Only ARGH moment I was having was when getting the wireless set up via Additional Drivers. (Netbook has Broadcom drivers.)

As a total newb to Ubuntu, I'm happy with it! Most of my questions/issues were resolved with Google searches and I'm well off now.

shadowfax1
October 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I think the thing that most impresses me both with 10.4 and 10.10 is how the OS recognizes and
installs all the correct drivers on my desktop and laptop. I reformat alot of laptops that have windows 7
and I can't believe how many of them require searching for drivers for different components and hardware.

Here's an OS thats free yet windows 7 continually requires me to search for device drivers, maintain and run virus/spyware scanners, UAC authorizations, defrag, constant security updates, and other annoying prompts that come up.

If anyone has a problem with Ubuntu spend some time with windows again...I guarantee you'll come running back!

alexfish
October 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I think the thing that most impresses me both with 10.4 and 10.10 is how the OS recognizes and

EDIT

If anyone has a problem with Ubuntu spend some time with windows again...I guarantee you'll come running back!

Broadcasting

+99

Cowboybebop79
October 14th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Absolutely stonking 9.99999999999999999999999 out of 10 so far 10.04 was a bit slow for me and I was worried that I would have to upgrade soon but Maverick is possibly faster than Karmic which for me is like gravity going in reverse. You know newer software means newer hardware to run it. I think its possibly the push to make Ubuntu suitable for use on low power net-tops which is making it insanely fast on 2-3 year old hardware. This is just Idle speculation because I haven't a clue but Maverick is a quality piece of software in my opinion. One thing that might be a good step to add to the install instructions on Ubuntu.com is a cd check eg. After you have burned an ISO a "how to" check that your cd is good and you can continue with your installation this is just for new users as most old hand will use the alt cd. And one more point about the live cd is the check list before install includes a strangely worded advice about plugging in your computer "So it's not on Battery" but all I could think about was blond jokes for the rest of the installation and I completely missed the slide show :)

Ric_NYC
October 14th, 2010, 10:43 PM
"World of Goo" stopped working after the upgrade to 10.10.

Jonny87
October 14th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Well I took the leap of faith and upgraded my laptop again back to 10.10. It stopped the first attempt with some error to do with adobe-flashplugin, so I uninstalled it tried again and it did its thing. Just went to try re-installing adobe-flashplugin again and saw thats its done it for me. So all in all I'm really impressed. So far it's working fine, give me a chance to run it through its paces and I'll let you know how it goes. No problems yet though.

Prohibited
October 15th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I would give Maverick Meercat...

a perfect 10 ;)

JDShu
October 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I was convinced that I would be sticking to the LTS, but then a game made me decide to get a more updated graphics stack. Didn't want to risk xorg-edgers, so I updated to 10.10. Its... very boring. As an OS is supposed to be, I guess. Ambiance looks nice though :P

Nickynak
October 15th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I tried 10.10 Gnome and Netbook editions on my Netbook and they were both clunky and unresponsive, Lubuntu 10.10 on the other hand works fantastically quickly and efficiently, I only have half a gig of ram, so obviously you need a gig or more to run the Netbook 10.10 edition which is a bit disingenuous, as a lot of Netbooks only have half of that. I think Ubuntu or Canonical should give Lubuntu official recognition and promote it as ideal for Netbooks- which it is. I would rather use Ubuntu than smaller distros because of the community and a feeling of security but it's a shame that the best variant for low-spec computers isn't part of the family.

xjian77
October 15th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I have a similar trouble on Fedora 13 as well. However, this is a fault by ATI instead of Ubuntu.
The issue comes from a security bug fix in kernel 2.6.34.7. Catalyst would not run on Any kernel after it.
It is a shame that the ATI team did not catch it before the 10.9 release. Hopefully it will be fixed in flgrx-10.10.

No, I'm not happy with Meerkat. I have ATI card and Meerkat doesnt seem to work well with it. Ever since I upgraded to Meerkat, I would get a messed up display followed by total system freeze, which can strike at any time and for no apparent reasons..

I've experienced this during browsing / playing video / working on open office / even when typing commands on the terminal )... this is similar to the infamous "Blue Screen of Death" in windows..

Everything was working fine on 10.04 Lucid though..

Downloaded the latest proprietary ATI driver from AMD v10-9 but when i run it, i get the following error message:

root@Dave-HOME:/home/david# ./ati-driver-installer-10-9-x86.x86_64.run
Created directory fglrx-install.eRItKv
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver-8.771............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
ATI Technologies Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.35-22-generic-pae:; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.eRItKv

I dont know, I may just switch back to 10.04 Lucid, or switch distro altogether..

Cheers,

niM_xaM

poodoopealeoaph
October 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM

ok, for one, 10.04 was terrible. it had glitch after glitch on every system I ever tried it on. As far as I was concerned, kubuntu was very pretty looking but other than that, it was a pile of junk. I couldn't get one thing to work the way I wanted it to in 10.04. Well I'll admit it was a dumb reason, but I saw the maverick logo on kubuntu's website and thought "well that's !(#*($& sweet looking!" so, I got the new version. And in the case that you were wondering, yes I did do an upgrade. I just didn't want to burn another disk so I used 10.04 and upgraded. I have to say that everything works much better. Also, everything I have works with it now. So, really to say that 10.04 is better than 10.10 is a ridiculously stupid statement to make. Honestly the only issues I've had are that internet text boxes glitch sometimes.

So, other than grilling that guy for trying to act like 10.10 is bad. I would like to say that I am completely turned around with kubuntu 10.10. When I was using 10.04, I was always so discouraged that after a day or two i would just switch back to ubuntu. Now that I have had the courage to look at kubuntu 10.10 again. I am blown away and if I can get past a couple little glitches that I'm having, I wouldn't see why I wouldn't switch all of my systems over. It is a great os.

Wild_Duck66
October 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I did an upgrade from Kubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 on my Acer Aspire Laptop and my Acer Desktop (AMD 64 Bit) and both worked perfectly

lancest
October 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Back to comment that USB loading seems improved in 10.10.
Wasn't bad before - but it's super quick now.

huntspores
October 15th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hi all, new here.

I appreciate the work involved with Ubuntu.

Having some issues with the latest 10.10 update on my netbook version.

Previously on 10.04 with Graphite theme I had a nice translucent (although a bit too large) description dock that if clicked then displayed icons on a semi translucent sheet over my nice desktop picture. Really nice as there was no top or bottom white bar interfering with viewing of my desktop picture when the machine was idle.. Also when launched, programs or folders had a "X" in the top bar to close the window. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about despite my lack of proper terminology.

Ok, I changed the Software Sources to be Normal and updated to 10.10.

Now the dock has changed to this smaller, icon based, multiple colored thing with arrows (sometimes on both sides) and weird shrinking behaviour at the top. I like that it's smaller, but not the colors, way too loud and distracting. I'd rather have it almost translucent with a double border line and would scroll up and down with my mouse scroll wheel instead of doing the shrinking behaviour. The dock should move to any side one wants and be able to show/hide and not take up screen real estate. Just come out and overlay what's already on the screen. Perhaps instead of the arrows which are hard to see, the launched program icons could have a less translucent background than the unlaunched ones? Easier to see than a small arrow.

The "X" to close a window in the top bar is gone in all programs, Firefox takes up the whole screen (not Full Screen mode neither) and I have no other choice but to File Quit the program to get out.This makes it a pain if I wish to copy text or pictures into another program then return. Some sites that open a new window leave no option to get out of it as there is no menu bar. I resorted to opening a note program and the calculator first before launching Firefox and Alt + Tab to switch to gain control.

The Graphite Theme has rounded window borders, but the window is square on screen, so there is this little bit of garbage at each corner instead of showing the background image.

I resorted to launching Login and changing the style to Netbook 2D version to get rid of the colored dock and be able to gain control. Now I got the white menu bar at the top and another at the bottom like regular Ubuntu. I don't like this neither as it distracts from the desktop picture taking the whole screen on a netbook.

And finally when Ubuntu launches, for a brief period it shows the older 10.04 translucent scheme and full desktop picture like I had before.

So it is possible to remain on 10.10 and return to the translucent 10.04 theme with full desktop picture (no menu bar at top and bottom until a program launches) with the larger text based dock or should I just backup files and load up 10.04?

I'd really like to be of assistance in establishing 10.10 as there is likely some under the hood changes, but I can't stand the new fisher price colored dock (sorry), unless there is some easy way that I can make changes to it, remove the colors and tweak it so it's semi translucent?

Something has to be done about programs not having a "X" in the top bar too.

Thanks

Swagman
October 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Does anyone else get all that crap scroll up the screen when shutting down ?

(I upgraded Lucid to Meerkat)

xjian77
October 15th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I have the same thing. But it does not seem to be a big deal.

Does anyone else get all that crap scroll up the screen when shutting down ?

(I upgraded Lucid to Meerkat)

TroN-0074
October 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I did update from 10.04 to 10.10. The problem I have now is the choppy video I wasnt experiencing that problem before so I am really considering going back to Lucid

elvino
October 15th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Fine with me. Nothing fails. Only gripe is that when I travel around I take a thumb drive version with me, which works fine except that every time it starts it asks me whether I want to try or install. I wish I could avoid that prompt.:)

TBABill
October 15th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I was happy with the upgrade on my laptop to 10.10, but I downloaded the iso to install on my desktop. It's a HP Touchsmart with Realtek wireless that ALWAYS connects perfectly with any distro....except Maverick. And a search of the forums shows far too many people with identical problems where the wireless can see the network but cannot connect to it. Wired is fine but a cord on the floor is not going to work for long...back to Lucid on that machine till these issues are worked out.

The download was fine, disk was fine and burned very slowly. The problem isn't the hardware, it's a regression that has not yet been resolved. That wireless device does not require a proprietary driver so I'll just wait till 10.10 matures some or stick with 10.04. I don't have a need for the latest kernel or different drivers so 10.04 will satisfy my needs...curiosity bit me this time :)

CPL2010
October 15th, 2010, 11:59 PM
This is just awful...3d doesn't work at all, wireless is dead, even lan support is hosed...wait.sound is broken as well.

This is a fresh install btw on a Dell Inspiron 9400. Time to back up and wipe and avoid updating for a while.

Why is it every third release works and the other two are in flux...ugh...posting from one of the lappy's I didn't upgrade yet.

su-37
October 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Ive been using it since the beta and i can say well done guys! Its a great release and my friend is switching from windows 7 because of what hes seen of it.

TBABill
October 16th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Ive been using it since the beta and i can say well done guys! Its a great release and my friend is switching from windows 7 because of what hes seen of it.

I just wish that was the case in more instances. Of the 2 I put it on, one works well and one does not. Both have worked perfectly with all other distros I've tried but a few quirks that impact some hardware still need to be worked out. I should have done my traditional "wait till a month or more after release before installing." That worked really well with Lucid.

su-37
October 16th, 2010, 12:16 AM
That is a good idea. But ive always found fixing the problems via the forums helps to get it as smooth as silk from there on in.

sminki
October 16th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I tested studio 10.10, was all working perfectly apart form Japanese file names only half showing correctly (I have a *lot* :) )
couldn't find a resolve so back to Karmic for me for a while..

danbuter
October 16th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I installed it, and it's been great. It fixed the few bugs that I had with 10.04, and has been working fine.

skrimpy
October 16th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I didn't upgrade my desktop as it's my business computer and I prefer to keep it on LTS.

I was excited to upgrade my netbook to Unity - but I must say this is the most disappointed I've ever been with Ubuntu. It's clunky and hard to navigate. REALLY hard to navigate! I can't find anything. I loved the simplicity of the Netbook Remix.

I'm try it switched the Desktop Edition, but I miss the Netbook Remix and I may do a clean install of 10.4 :(

The Unity sidebar not going away sucks for browsing web pages. The fact that the Unity theme stays black even when I want to use Radiance sucks. The fact that I can't even add a weather widget or quick terminal launch to the panel sucks.

I'm just really disappointed overall.

huntspores
October 16th, 2010, 03:23 AM
My situation with the 10.04 UI superimposing itself onto 10.10's Netbook 2D UI is getting worse, it's actually merging the two UI's now. I got the menu bar at the top and bottom with a functional translucent 10.04 dock and icons in the center, it stays for some time then disappears. Going to wipe and install Netbook Remix 10.04, PendriveLinux don't fail me now! Keep up the good work fellows, hope this feed back helps. :)

SadisticCheeto
October 16th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I'm having a much better experience than my first install of 10.04. I had a lot of system freezes then. It led me to start a lot of distro hopping. I decided to come back to Ubuntu on the release date of 10.10. Everything is good so far. No instability issues here.

danbuter
October 16th, 2010, 06:53 AM
The new kernel and new alsa module really helps for newer computers. Big improvement over the stuff in 10.04.

Chronon
October 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I installed Kubuntu 10.10 on my new netbook and am really enjoying it. Everything (hardware) works well and I am liking the new plasma netbook interface.

I haven't upgraded my desktop yet. The last two releases the LiveCD crashes so I installed Karmic via Zenix and upgraded to Lucid from there. I haven't yet upgraded and would prefer to do a clean install if I can get the LiveCD to boot (haven't tried yet).

Jonny87
October 16th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Man there is a real mix of views here.

Well I'm still happy with the upgrade on my laptop. No dramas yet. All seems to work fine. Just trying to work out whether or not to upgrade my Desktop now. It kinda acts like a server within my home network, and I messed around with it that much I don't want to reconfigure if it doesn't work out. Thinking I might give 10.10 on my laptop till the end of the week. If I'm still happy with it then I'll take the leap.

huntspores
October 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Ok, I'm fine now, back on 10.04, snappy as all heck. Perhaps I had a bad upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10?

Some Wine leftovers messed up the works?

New at all this, so perhaps more seasoned users are already tired of the translucent look, forward on, I'll stick with 10.04 for some time and be catching up later.

Nice of Broadcom to release the drivers.

tpl
October 16th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Did the update at RC time onto 2 machines and a clean install on an ancient Tosh laptop.
Only problem was having to generate a config file for the graphics on the laptop.
I have ATI graphics on the two desktops but so old that I don't run catalyst.

Can we have the 10.04 and previous calculator back please.

Capta!nCrude
October 17th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I'm very happy with this release. I would even go so far and claim that it's the best release yet, knocking Dapper Drake from the throne. There is only a few things that I really miss, and neither of those lies on Canonicals table.

Due to the success of this release, I'm really looking forward to Natty Narwhal and hope it will be an awesome successor to the Meerkat.

Primefalcon
October 17th, 2010, 01:47 AM
It's a major improvement over 10.10 for me, my ATI graphics card is working great, I had a lot of issues in 10.04 with it, which is the reason I jumped into the early beta of 10.10 (if 10.10 didn't work for me I was tempted to go back to 8.04 or jump to OpenSuse but 10.10 has been a wonderful experience

grobar87
October 17th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Very happy !!!:P

whistlerspa
October 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Upgraded 10.04 - 10.10 on HP Laptop and AMD desktop yesterday (both 64 bit), and as far as I can tell everything works well. A far cry from attempted upgrades in the past:)

HuttonIT
October 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
The install was simple on my Acer Aspire One 150. It sits alongside the existing Linpus but compared to the Linpus it is sooooo slow.
My ThinkPad T61 is running 10.04 and flies... Yes I know it is a much quicker computer than the Acer but Linpus has no problem keeping up.

The vertical menu on the left is a little irritating and can find no means to edit it or make it slide out of sight when not used.

Anyone know how to edit the menu? I will leave it dual booting with Fedora just now and see what develops.

As for crashes and fatal errors none on the Acer but installed via VirtualBox on the Thinkpad it comes up with a Bios Error but still runs a little clunky.

8/10 for small machines but unless you want to do any real computing stick to Linpus as it is much simpler and faster.

richard.scott-ettrick
October 17th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I don't like the new version. When using Firefox quite often the scroll bar won't work and also quite often freezes up totally. You then have to wait a while to let it unfreeze itself. Anybody any ideas whats going on?

moma
October 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
@richard.scott-ettrick:
1) Activate display driver if possible. See step 4 (http://www.futuredesktop.org/#step4).

2) Try Chromium browser. See Step 7 (http://www.futuredesktop.org/#step7).

3) This... (http://www.futuredesktop.org/speed_up_your_buntu.html) rather old document has some tips on speeding up Firefox.

srinurockz
October 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I'm very much not happy at all !!
Gives me black screen very frequently and can't connect to internet reliably !!

CbrPad
October 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Not happy with it. I've done two clean installs but for some reason my wifi doesn't work even though it does for others with the same model laptop.

Even worse, I have an issue of tabs duplicating all over the place (in Firefox, Thunderbird and Nautilus) which is infuriating and the touchpad isn't working properly - it's almost impossible to highlight text accurately as it continually loses the highlight and only marks a portion of the text, and four times out of five in the middle of highlighting it'll copy some and then paste it back at random.

I've changed every setting and config I can find but to no avail, this makes it unusable for any serious work at all. This is the third release in a row I've now had to skip and they actually seem to be getting worse for me, as in I've never had these basic desktop useability issues before, just problems with 3g and the like.

moma
October 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Re-hello.

A new success story.
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 (32bit) on a rather old Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Li 1718 laptop (http://www.edbl.no/karmic/Fujitsu-Siemens-Amilo-li1718.jpg). In this laptop, the wireless net has been very troublesome in both Windows and Linux. Especialmente em Windows.

In Ubuntu 10.10, the wireless card now works immediately after installation. No tweaking required. This laptop also feels very snappy with an ordinary GNOME-desktop.

I will later try the Unity (Ubuntu Netbook GUI) on this laptop:

* sudo apt-get install unity
* logout, select "Ubuntu Netbook Edition" from the list.
* Login

EDIT:Unity did not work in this laptop. Both toolbar and menus were invisible.

For the record.
In Ubuntu 10.04 (and older), we had to use AcerhkGUI and similar magick commands for the wireless card.
http://www.futuredesktop.com/linux/wireless_in_linux_with_acerhk_driver.txt

Cowboybebop79
October 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Re-hello.

A new success story.
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 (32bit) on a rather old Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Li 1718 laptop (http://www.edbl.no/karmic/Fujitsu-Siemens-Amilo-li1718.jpg). In this laptop, the wireless net has been very troublesome in both Windows and Linux. Especialmente em Windows.

In Ubuntu 10.10, the wireless card now works immediately after installation. No tweaking required. This laptop also feels very snappy with an ordinary GNOME-desktop.

I will later try the Unity (Ubuntu Netbook GUI) on this laptop:

* sudo apt-get install unity
* logout, select "Ubuntu Netbook Edition" from the list.
* Login

EDIT:Unity did not work in this laptop. Both toolbar and menus were invisible.

For the record.
In Ubuntu 10.04 (and older), we had to use AcerhkGUI and similar magick commands for the wireless card.
http://www.futuredesktop.com/linux/wireless_in_linux_with_acerhk_driver.txt

I can confirm about the responsiveness I swear this is the first time other than changing from Vista to Karmic my laptop felt faster. Like I said somewhere else It seems to me that the push by Canonical to make Ubuntu run well on nettop's is benefiting old laptop users like us. As far as wifi was concerned I installed Jupiter to toggle wifi and did modprobe acer-wmi from your guide which got everything up and running for wireless shweet.

Sean Moran
October 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Karmic Koala is still the pinnacle of Ubuntu. I will never forget last October 31st.

There will be better days for Ubuntu to come, but Meerkat is not part of that progression.

BigSilly
October 24th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Karmic was very problematic for me and remains the only Ubuntu I was glad to remove. The Meercat is a dream in comparison.

Go figure. /shrugs

smpeters
October 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I am very pleased with it upgrade went smooth and all is well I am running it on two machines one net book and one server.

JEBB
October 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Unhappy!!

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD.
The original Dell 16GB SSD died last week and I had no backup, so I must do a fresh install.

My constant complaint: Every new version of Ubuntu breaks something new. Ubuntu 10.10 UNR broke the WiFi on my DM9 that worked fine with 10.04UNR. Sleep didn't work right with 10.04 but did in 9.04. Why does that have to be??? Isn't what the developers learn cumulative? I wouldn't be able to use Ubuntu if I didn't have a second computer to communicate with forums such as this.

The new Unity netbook interface isn't an improvement over that in 10.04UNR. Unity mostly takes up too much room on the screen within programs. Another big problem: after I went to full screen with Terminal I could not find a way back; ESC didn't work nor any other single key strokes. Why a revolutionary netbook interface every time instead of some evolutionary changes that are not full of surprises requiring users to learn it from scratch?

alanmoore78
October 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM
http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album-Bryan-Adams-So-Far-So-Good.jpg

Windows Nerd
October 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Another big problem: after I went to full screen with Terminal I could not find a way back; ESC didn't work nor any other single key strokes. Why a revolutionary netbook interface every time instead of some evolutionary changes that are not full of surprises requiring users to learn it from scratch?
Hit F11 to toggle fullscreen on/off in terminal, and in just about any application.

LtPitt
October 26th, 2010, 11:21 PM
The whole nvidia proprietary drive handling is pure mess...
I write while (after a week of tutorials and suffering) I format to put back 10.4.

Just my two cents.

lancest
October 27th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Great release. Several machines.
Not much I don't like about it.

A few simple tweaks have almost perfected it for me.

I'm glad they will pay more attention to Compiz integration (Unity) in the future. IMHO there are still issues lurking there.
(Title bar and indicator loading inconsistencies)

mah817
October 28th, 2010, 05:06 AM
The whole nvidia proprietary drive handling is pure mess...
I write while (after a week of tutorials and suffering) I format to put back 10.4.

Just my two cents.

Same sentiments here with Sony F-series laptop with Nvidia GT330M card. Will update to 10.10 when its fixed or stick with 10.4.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 28th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Liked it at first, things started to get messy after I started using more and more apps. Back to Lucid where everything works so blessedly well that I don't mind pulling down a few binaries for the latest packages.

yesrno
October 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Yes verry happy with it! Never could get the skype/webcam setup to work properly. Working flawlessly now, for some odd reason. I don't mind the reason, just happy it's working :p. And some other small things like that are fixed.
Do notice the boot speed is a bit slower, but that could be just me.

Foxuvius
November 10th, 2010, 01:22 AM

I had the same issue. I searched in Google and found this help page at How To Forge.

I followed the instructions and screenshots and it worked perfectly.

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx-to-10.10-maverick-meerkat-desktop-and-server

Prof138
November 18th, 2010, 01:42 AM
My experience was that if you hit cancel when it asks to create a keyring and still connects, that it never asks again. Those keyrings are designed to protect passwords, but I've never understood why anyone would want to put a wireless key in there. There are better ways to control networks.
Many thanks, I will try this to see if it works. It is just amazing that although I am running the fastest and best OS in the world, I am restricted to having wireless Internet connection as we are unable to get any form of ADSL.

guimaster
November 19th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Ubuntu 10.10 kept freezing up my netbook whenever I added a bookmark to Firefox. I jumped straight from 9.10 to 10.10. So I downgraded to 10.04.1 and I will see if there is a difference.

I actually like the default theme in 10.04 better than 10.10 but some reviewers seemed to enjoy the theme in 10.10 more.

Lancro
November 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Working perfect for me, 10.04 wasnt able to use my webcam built in microphone, 10.10 is, so all hardware is working perfect, Im only tired of flash freezing in chrome, Im starting to hate flash...

alienprdkt
November 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yes after you remove Unity! Runs Great!

apt-get purge unity

then it works great ;)

Wont use Unity until release of 12.04 is available, or at least you can add/remove files and directories in the so-called 'Unity File Manager'... after all what's a file manager when you can't manage files and directories? And what's Ubuntu without the ability to customize it?

Will be sure to stick with 10.04 until then!

endotherm
November 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM
@Op:

yes, I';m quite pleased with MM. I also was quite pleased with LL. it was KK that gave me fits.

alienprdkt
November 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Working perfect for me, 10.04 wasnt able to use my webcam built in microphone, 10.10 is, so all hardware is working perfect, Im only tired of flash freezing in chrome, Im starting to hate flash...

Your not the only one Steve Jobs Goes on the Attack Against Adobe's Flash Player (http://www.switched.com/2010/04/29/steve-jobs-goes-on-the-attack-against-adobes-flash-player/)

AgentZ86
November 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Yes, I like it

masoomac
November 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Well, Mixed feelings so far. Was super happy with 10.04. But with 10.10:

Flash video in Firefox has some issues - default plugin is Adobe Flash 9 and it took some effort to install Flash 10 through software center. But embedded videos still dont run on Facebook.

The numeric pad doesn't work (Acer Aspire 5536) inspite of trying every setting in Preferences.

I searched the forums and seems no one else seems to have this keyboard issue... I just might have to go back to 10.04 since i am not very tech savvy.

Also, the booting is much longer now almost twice as long as 10.04.

Ric_NYC
November 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
working perfect for me, 10.04 wasnt able to use my webcam built in microphone, 10.10 is, so all hardware is working perfect, im only tired of flash freezing in chrome, im starting to hate flash...

+1

misfitpierce
November 20th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Running perfect on my Dell Lappy... 10.04 gave me few issues with tethering when on the go but 10.10 works flawless.

brandenmikal
November 22nd, 2010, 04:16 AM

Open "Software Sources" and change in the Updates tab; Release Upgrade to "Normal Releases"

Then the Upgrade button will appear in the Update Manager and you can quickly upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

wkhasintha
November 22nd, 2010, 04:24 AM
I'm contented with it so-far. :)

jnguyen
November 22nd, 2010, 04:35 AM
I'm very happy with 10.10. Much better than 8.xx, 9.xx & 10.04
Running very good on 2 latops and 2 workstations. 2 for work & 2 for home. 3 on Gnome & 1 for KDE.

Jeffrey

Evil-Ernie
November 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Very happy, works very well. No problem finding all my USB gadgets or using them in software.

Only had a single hiccup when installing where it had a disk read/write problem but when I tried a second time it installed perfectly.

It even found my USB hooked up 3G phone without me even trying, very impressed! :D

Although my machine is a desktop I decided to have a look at Unity and see what the fuss is about. It looks cool but is definately not ready for desktop use however I could imagining it being very useful on a Netbook (which its designed for) so I returned to Gnome for the time being.

Peter09
November 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Well 2 machines - working ok, athough having problems with the default key ring being asked for on a Cron Job, which is a problem as I am not always there when it asks for it. (No default keyring in my keyring cache)

Third machine (Samsung N50 netbook) is a disaster - two regressions

- 95% of the time wireless will not connect - although it sees the network - just keeps asking for a password
- Resume from suspend - just a black screen (although the machine is running).

Makes the machine more or less unuseable.

foridude
July 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I have the "netbook" version installed on my Acer Aspire netbook.

I find the desktop to be a royal pain! I have problems, when I click on an icon. It then becomes grayed out after opening an application, and is not usable again unless I reboot.

I do a lot of photo work. With this version there is no way ( at least to my knowledge) of opening two files at the same time. Therefore there is no way to drag and drop files from one folder into another. Right now I am trying to organize my photo files. This is impossible!

If someone has an answer, I sure would appreciate it. Using Mint Julia on my laptop, and find it far superior!

Elfy
July 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Closed.

@foridude - If you need support please open a support thread.