PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP - resurrecting borked update with boot disk

dumb_question
October 12th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I was updating 10.04 (not upgrading to 10.10, just the regular update manager improvements etc thing) and there was a series of error messages about locale not being set, and it went on forever & finally died, along with Ubuntu. When I try to boot it gave me a bunch of errors (I can't get screenshots for obvious reasons), including some gnome sanity check error that was I think 254. Anyways, I got the machine up & running again using a USB 10.10 boot drive, now installed on another partition, but I would REALLY like to resurrect my old install, the main reason being my Enigmail private key is set up on the original install, and I can't figure out how to dig it out now. I have access to the filesystem, passwords & everything, but without that key I am unable to open some of my emails. Is there any way to automagically repair an install so I can boot from it again? (Or failing that, any idea where Thunderbird keeps my Enigmail key info)?

PS yes I know, thou shalt make backups. I did. So many backups, I can't remember where the *&#^^&%# key is. :mad:

UPDATE: I found the key, but I'd still like to rescue my original install as everything's customized (R plugins, keyboard shortcuts, etc etc etc) and it'll be a pain to redo it all.