PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless only works on certain networks!

Natasha D
October 12th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Hi all,

I have a pretty beat-up laptop, on which the inbuilt wireless doesn't work, and so I now have an ASUS WL-167g, which is acting up!

It almost always connects to the required networks without an issue, but then once I'm connected it's REALLY slow on some of them! For example, while I'm at school, it works flawlessly! And at a couple of friends' houses, it works too! however, at home, and at a couple of other places, despite the fact that it connects, its so slow, that google takes like 5 mins to load and searching for anything on google leads it to time out!! This happens whether I'm right next to the router (full signal strength) or 2 floors up (at like 3 bars strength)!

It's getting pretty frustrating to have to swap my lan cable between my desktop and laptop constantly, and also to not be able to use my laptop away from my desk!

Does anyone know what might be going on??

Also, while i have you guys here! I have another problem -- with the inbuilt card.. Initially, it wouldn't work at all.. but more recently, it has started to function (it connects and works on my home network fine) the only problem is that about 10 mins after I turn the wireless switch on on my laptop, it hangs! (EVERYTIME) (if it's relevant, my laptop is a SONY VAIO VGN-S46GP). Again, any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Natasha!

Natasha D
October 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM
bump