PDA

View Full Version : Medibuntu Maverick repo is up.

alphacrucis2
October 12th, 2010, 03:22 AM
No googleearth yet though.

Lenny212
October 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
hmmm...how long until googleearth is available and how do we know when it becomes available

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM
hmmm...how long until googleearth is available and how do we know when it becomes available

Here are the Maverick packages they have:

http://packages.medibuntu.org/maverick/index.html

As to when googleearth will be available there I don't know.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM
You can build google earth deb for yourself. (Very easy). Install this package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/googleearth-package

You can either click: Install googleearth-package (apt://googleearth-package) or run this command to install.

sudo apt-get install googleearth-package

Then just run this to figure it out:

man googleearth-package

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2010, 10:29 AM
You can build google earth deb for yourself. (Very easy). Install this package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/googleearth-package

You can either click: Install googleearth-package (apt://googleearth-package) or run this command to install.

sudo apt-get install googleearth-package

Then just run this to figure it out:

man googleearth-package

Already did that. Crash signal 6 immediately after the googleearth splash screen appears. Same deal with the latest download direct from google. I'm hoping medibuntu might work some magic with their version but I have a horrible feeling that the AMD blob (Catalyst 10.10) is the cause. Trouble is I can't live without the GPU power management that the blob gives me on my laptop.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Edit: man googleearth-package might not be the right command. I am surprised it does not work for you though. Might be gpu releated I will try it on mine.

Edit edit: it is "man make-googleearth-package"

Edit edit edit: From the man page. You can use make-googleearth-package to install an older version I believe.

--file file
Use file instead of GoogleEarthLinux.bin

--force
Attempt to build an unsupported version

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah. You run make and then install the deb. Doesn't matter which method I use, I get a crashlog like this:

Crash Signal 6
Crash Time 1286798958
Up Time 0.393897

Stacktrace from glibc:
./libgoogleearth_free.so(+0xd090b)[0xf771790b]
[0xf7770400]
/lib32/libc.so.6(abort+0x182)[0xf5a47e42]
/lib32/libc.so.6(__assert_fail+0xf8)[0xf5a3d878]
/usr/lib32/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0x352)[0xf4e75282]
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1(AtiCallFGLComposite+0xf5)[0xf4d8588b]

Maybe I will deinstall the blob and try the OSS driver as a test.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Just tested this myself and it works fine. It says "unsupported version of google earth, try using force" I did so and the deb installs and performs well. Note I used the google earth that the program downloaded not a custom one. Perhaps it is a new error due to Xorg 1.9 and your graphics drivers. Try researching parts of the error output.

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Just tested this myself and it works fine. It says "unsupported version of google earth, try using force" I did so and the deb installs and performs well. Note I used the google earth that the program downloaded not a custom one. Perhaps it is a new error due to Xorg 1.9 and your graphics drivers. Try researching parts of the error output.

No joy for me. I eliminated fglrx and OpenGL is now being provided by Mesa. Now googleearth doesn't crash but I get this instead:

laptop:~$ googleearth
/usr/lib/googleearth/googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libatiuki.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 12:06 PM
That is getting closer. You might just need to reinstall GE from the bin file or make a new package.

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
That is getting closer. You might just need to reinstall GE from the bin file or make a new package.

Yeah. I wondered about that. I removed googleearth via apt-get and then did the make-googleearth-package --force bit and installed the resulting deb. Back to the original signal 6 crash :confused:. So it looks like fglrx is in the clear on this one so I have reinstalled it. The only other thing I can think of is that I am running 64 bit and it looks like googleearth is a 32 bit app. I am running some other OpenGL apps that are working perfectly but they are proper 64 bit apps.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I am running 64-bit as well, though that might be part of it. Do you have ia32-libs installed? Though I doubt that will help.

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I am running 64-bit as well, though that might be part of it. Do you have ia32-libs installed? Though I doubt that will help.

Yeah I do. I just tried reinstalling it but no help. Ah well.

DougieFresh4U
October 13th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I installed the Lucid GE in my Maverick install and all went well on my 64bit ATI Radeon HD3200

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I installed the Lucid GE and all went well on my 64bit ATI Radeon HD3200

Yeah it used to work for me on Lucid 64 too. Not sure exactly what is causing it yet.

scouser73
October 13th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I installed the Lucid version of Google Earth on Maverick from the Medibuntu site and have had no problems.

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Well is looks like the problem I am having is something to do with the version of the ia32-libs I have installed. I tried installing a much newer version from the debian repos and that fixed googleearth but broke skype so I have backed out to the Ubuntu one. Oh for all native 64 bit apps.

Lenny212
October 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I am running 32bit Maverick and installed the Lucid version and it worked.
Click here (http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/g/googleearth/googleearth_5.1.3533.1731-0medibuntu1_i386.deb) and it will download the .deb file for you.
You then double click the file to install.

disastrophe
October 15th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I ran the make and two thirds of the output was dependency warnings. I suspect I have one nasty little deb setting there so I sent it to the round file cabinet. No biggie I guess, I already have it installed on Squeeze anyway.(PCLOS too I think) But as soon as I ran the make I was like WTF?

cg0191
October 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info.
Can someone explain if this is still necessary when one has elected to click the checkbox to install multimedia support during the 10.10 (Meerkat) install.

Do I already have libdvdcss2 & all the codecs already or not??
This is so typically 'Linuxish'... Dear god could someone bother to document things properly for a change???

NightwishFan
October 15th, 2010, 10:07 AM
It is documented. Libdvdcss will likely never be included in the Ubuntu repos due to legal issues. You can simply run this command to install libdvdcss:

sudo sh '/usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh'

Much of the other stuff in Medibuntu I would never need, you can judge if you do or not.

hneto
October 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Definitely no more googleearth from Medibuntu:

https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/+announcement/6939

thewolfman
October 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Hi chaps, I didn't read every post in this thread but I am having a problem with the "Public Key", I keep getting the message that it isn't available. Anyone having the same problem?????.

Thanks in advance.:(