PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade failed, now system unuseable

IceblueGen3
October 12th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 a few hours ago using the alternate CD. I selected not to download files off the internet as I wanted to do that at a later stage. After running for close on an hour performing the update, as it reached the end it gave me a message saying the update had failed and the changes will now be restored (or something like that). I clicked ok, and the update window closed. I then restarted the pc and it stopped at the splash screen. Now I cannot get it to load the desktop environment. It Jst sits at the splash screen. Pressing the power button shuts it down normally, but alt-ctrl-f1 does not open a shell.

If i start up using recovery mode and then select fail safe graphics mode something comes up about a segmentation fault in xserver in I then end up at the shell where I can work from the command line, but can never get the graphical interface to work.

Can anybody help me? I'm still quite new to Linux and I need my pc urgently but am trying to avoid a clean install

mörgæs
October 12th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Does it work when booted with a live CD?

santosamaru
October 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
To upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '10.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.

To upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a server system: install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed; edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal; launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade -d; and follow the on-screen instructions.

To upgrade from Kubuntu 10.04 LTS follow the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MaverickUpgrades/Kubuntu

IceblueGen3
October 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Does it work when booted with a live CD?

I don't have a 10.10 live disc. Will get one in the next two hours and try it. But it boots fine using any of the older live discs.

roddie
October 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
To upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '10.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.

To upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a server system: install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed; edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal; launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade -d; and follow the on-screen instructions.

To upgrade from Kubuntu 10.04 LTS follow the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MaverickUpgrades/Kubuntu
He's already upgraded and now can't get past the splash screen.

garvinrick4
October 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Does

startxdo anything
If not are you missing

sudo apt-get install gdmIf you can get to a command line and startx does not work.

sudo apt-get install aptitude
aptitude show gdmIt will tell you if installed or not. You are missing something find out what?
Most likely is going to be the desktop envirment which is gdm or ubuntu-desktop is the whole ball of wax. But if you use aptitude show (package name)
you will find what is missing. Alternate cd does have installs without the GUI!!!

IceblueGen3
October 12th, 2010, 01:23 PM
startx
gives the following output:
(EE) failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
(EE) failed to load module "fglrx" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) No drivers available

Fatal Server error:
no screen found

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
giving up.
xinit: No such files or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error.

aptitude show gdm
says that gdn is installed.

Am I correct in saying that the ATI driver is not installed (based on the above output)? If so, how do I fix this?

I also tried renaming the the xorg.conf file as recommended in another thread I read. When I do this I get past the splash screen but then shows the text style login screen (non graphical).

If I then type startx I get a long text output which contains the following near the bottom:
8: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x1a191) [0x8062192]
Segmentation fault at address (nil)
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting.
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
giving up.
xinit: No such files or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error.

IceblueGen3
October 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM
oh and the live CD boots fine.

IceblueGen3
October 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Ok I managed to get it working. I removed fglrx and then reinstalled it all, so X starts fine now.

sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx*
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri fglrx-modaliases
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core
I'm still having some minor issues with the upgrade (it was only partial), but I should be able to sort that out.

Thanks though to all who tried to help!