PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] virt-manager won't start after upgrade 10.04 to 10.10

Bow rat
October 12th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I just upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 and now virt-manager won't start. If I try from the menu, nothing happens. If I try and start it from the command line (as root) it give the error:

GLib-GIO:ERROR:/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.26.0/gio/gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Aborted

I've tried searching and can't seem to find anything related, but was hoping this might make some sense to someone.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Bow rat
October 12th, 2010, 07:25 AM
OK - PEBCAK

I still don't know why I get that error when trying to start virt-manager, but I seem to have got things running again.

What I did:

I double checked that my user account was a member of both libvirtd and kvm. I had dropped out of kvm group for some reason, so I added myself back in.

I double checked permissions on the image files in /var/lib/libvirt. They had got changed as well, so I chgrp'd them to kvm again and chmod of 660.

I tried starting / stopping VMs through virsh (as both myself and as root) and that seemed to work now.

virt-manager also started to work (must have been some permissions thing) and I could now change the (default) usermode connection to the proper QEMU/KVM connection on my machine and hey presto - it all started playing nicely again.

Hope this might help someone else seeing a similar issue.