PDA

View Full Version : How many friends have you swapped to linux?

Dustin2128
October 12th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Just wondering; most of my friends have been rather uninterested but there are two hopefuls I'm giving some lucid disks tomorrow. Unfortunately the only one I've ever swapped is my grandma (ironically).

_outlawed_
October 12th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I don't have any friends.

Where the option for that?

NightwishFan
October 12th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Between 5-15. Closer to 5. A lot of my acquaintances really like linux. Most of my family uses it.

Frogs Hair
October 12th, 2010, 01:40 AM

Yes you do . I have friends that use Wubi installations , that is how I stated , but I still need to dual boot. I had to mark not for lack of trying.

_outlawed_
October 12th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Yes you do

Actually I really don't. I've learned the hard way that "friends" like to screw people over in todays world.

TriBlox6432
October 12th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I refuse to associate with those who don't use Linux. It's just the way I am.

And since this is true, it's impossible for me to convert anyone.

Linye
October 12th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I've converted two people. One is my girlfriend who like to mess around with technology and the other is a computer illiterate friend who received a netbook as a gift that came with some type of demo of Windows7 that you couldn't even change the wallpaper. I installed 10.04 netbook edition and he's loving it.

Actually I really don't. I've learned the hard way that "friends" like to screw people over in todays world.

lol, maybe where you live.

Arex Bawrin
October 12th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I got my parents, lol, does that count?

Dustin2128
October 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I got my parents, lol, does that count?
anybody counts really.

And something that just blows my mind is why anybody would run a netbook with windows 7 aero. Seriously. All the school netbooks do, they have a screen refresh rate of something like 1 FPM

23dornot23d
October 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I have swapped some friends across in the past ...... and they go back to windows for
things that I would not think would make much of a difference .....

The MSN messenger is one thing they miss all the little smilies and pop up animations it has.

Linux has a cut down version of it ...... Amsn ..... its almost the same .... but they are not happy with it :confused:

Dustin2128
October 12th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I have swapped some friends across in the past ...... and they go back to windows for
things that I would not think would make much of a difference .....

The MSN messenger is one thing they miss all the little smilies and pop up animations it has.

Linux has a cut down version of it ...... Amsn ..... its almost the same .... but they are not happy with it :confused:
augh, ... abuse!
But yeah, windows users can swap for highly trivial reasons in my opinion.

WRDN
October 12th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I don't believe "swapped" is the correct term, as it implies a complete transition to Ubuntu from an alternative Operating System.

I have recommended Linux to some people (perhaps around 6 to 8,) and many in my family use it. In the cases where it has been installed on family machines (by me), I have created a dual boot setup, with Windows, as I believe it is always useful to have at least 1 backup OS installed on the disk.
As for my friends, I think 1/2 may have installed it, some have just ignored any recommendations I may have provided (with eyes glazing over), and some have found Linux LiveCDs useful, for, for example, troubleshooting. Linux LiveCDs are brilliant when you can't boot any OS from the HDD :)

sisco311
October 12th, 2010, 02:15 AM
None, I'm lazy & don't care what OS they use; anyway they are mostly imaginary and/or inexistent. :)

My brother uses Xubuntu with no major issues. I usually just upgrade his computer every now and then (read it as yearly or when I'm bored).

XubuRoxMySox
October 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I have an ultralight Xfce Debian mixture on an ancient old dinosaur which I keep at the dance studio for all the kids to use between classes (they do homework, check their facebook pages, listen to music, stuff like that). Most have no idea they're using Linux. And it's so simple even the little kids there use it effortlessly without any coaching. I frequently get asked "how do you keep this old 'puter running so fast?"

That's when I tell them it's Linux and they're like, "No way! It's too easy!" So I offer a LiveCD, chat about the advantages of 'nix over Windows, and leave it at that.

Several dancers and their families tell me they have switched because their Windows machines were going reeeeeeally slow, or got b0rked by a virus, or they couldn't afford a new 'puter but saw how Linux gave new life to their old ones.

One very enthusiastic dancer even wrote this article (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html) about her switch from Vista to Linux. Very cool.

-Robin

Spice Weasel
October 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Have you posted that article before? I swear I've already read it. :P

undecim
October 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Well, that means all your friends use Linux, right?

XubuRoxMySox
October 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Have you posted that article before? I swear I've already read it. :P

Yup, in another thread about the same subject ("converting" people to Linux), because her article is relevant, offers good "conversion" tips, and of course, because her article flatters me. :)

-Robin

whoop
October 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I don't want more people to use linux. It has to much users as it is now.
Things used to be much better. I always tell people how crappy it is :-D

Simian Man
October 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I convinced one person that Linux would be a good choice for them. Last week, though I convinced someone to switch back to Windows.

People have different needs and trying to blindly push your views on them is just stupid.

98cwitr
October 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
2-5...several already used linux though :p

Bapun007
October 12th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Only one

irv
October 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM
One very enthusiastic dancer even wrote this article (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html) about her switch from Vista to Linux. Very cool.

-Robin
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a laptop for one of the gals in the church, and I just sent her the link your posted link. I read it and thought it was great.
As far as how many I got to switch to Ubuntu Linux, I have lost count. Three years ago I got about 15 old computers from a local business who upgrade all there systems. So I loaded Ubuntu on them and shipped them to Africa to a place called "Haven of Hope". It is a school/clinic. And then I have put Ubuntu Linux and other PC's since 2005. I just installed it 4 PC this past week. So you can see I lost count.

Spr0k3t
October 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I couldn't select multiple companies converted to linux... so I chose the best option.

I know more Linux users than I know people who have iphones.

whoop
October 12th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I know more Linux users than I know people who have iphones.

This is good :-)

scouser73
October 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I've swapped three people to Ubuntu and they all love it.

Tristam Green
October 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I refuse to associate with those who don't use Linux. It's just the way I am.

And since this is true, it's impossible for me to convert anyone.

lol. sure you do.

Hi TriBlox, I'm Tristam Green.and I don't use Linux anymore.

Now, you've associated with me. Joke's on you.

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Before I sold my Company I converted many individuals and severals SME's for desktop. I convert several SME's and Education Institutions Servers to Linux.

Now I do not actively try to convert/push , if someone is keen to try I will help. I still get at least 2 to 3 requests per month from my old contacts.

Giant Speck
October 13th, 2010, 03:40 AM
What an odd poll.

My answer would be "zero, because I don't care what other people install on their computers".

Dustin2128
October 13th, 2010, 03:48 AM
What an odd poll.

My answer would be "zero, because I don't care what other people install on their computers".
maximum 10 options, felt I covered most everyone.

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Just wondering; most of my friends have been rather uninterested but there are two hopefuls I'm giving some lucid disks tomorrow. Unfortunately the only one I've ever swapped is my grandma (ironically).

I didn't convert him but my nephew really likes ubuntu...

I think the ubuntu art team deserve the credit, he likes it because of the 'purple wallpaper' :confused:

Dustin2128
October 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I didn't convert him but my nephew really likes ubuntu...

I think the ubuntu art team deserve the credit, he likes it because of the 'purple wallpaper' :confused:
that's odd- I always hated the purple wallpaper. Meh, *shrug*.

Tristam Green
October 13th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I don't know why anyone would *seriously* consider himself "too elite for that kind of stuff", but I voted for that because I'm awesome and felt like I should force everyone else to bask in my awesomesauce.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
As long as theres no ketchup in it. >_<

Oxwivi
October 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM
i don't have any friends.

+1

cprofitt
October 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I have convinced 22 people to try it and of those 14 have converted to Ubuntu only as their OS.

gintovan
October 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
"None, I'm too elite for that kind of stuff."

Not really, but it's the option that was closest.

I simply don't have any friends that would care about Linux. They are all gamers or very causal users that just don't care for anything Linux would have to offer.

And to be honest I have never in the 7 years I have used Linux actively tried to convert anyone. Sure when people have asked about Linux, I answer and give recommendations (also to whether Linux is the right choice for them), and I might have gotten a few people to try Linux this way.

But all in all, I simply don't care if my neighbor uses GNU/Linux or not.

ubunterooster
October 13th, 2010, 06:38 PM
+1
"None, I'm too elite for that kind of stuff."

ubunterooster
October 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM
As long as theres no ketchup in it. >_<
Almost empty ketchup bottle????

I have "converted" a few; 4. Add the number have helped fix problems in moving to Linux and it is a lot more

Spice Weasel
October 14th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Four friends, my mum and my aunt. :)

Giant Speck
October 15th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Almost empty ketchup bottle????
That sounds incredibly pessimistic.

matthew.ball
October 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM
None. GNU/Linux isn't ready for the average user yet.

NightwishFan
October 15th, 2010, 10:14 AM

I lol'd :P

poodoopealeoaph
October 15th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Well, I have been using ubuntu for only about 4 or 5 months now and I have converted my dad. This doesn't seem like much but he runs a computer repair shop and he is pushing ubuntu to everyone he helps. So, slowly but surely, we will be helping to convert as many people as we can. Also, you could say that my girlfriend is converted too. I only say this because she uses my desktop with ubuntu 10.10 while I use my laptop with kubuntu 10.10

Spice Weasel
October 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM

http://www.xandros.com/images/products/p900_asus_500x397.gif

drawkcab
October 16th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Last week, I impressed the hell out of one my students by recovering her data with a linux live cd. After, I asked if she wanted to install Linux Mint and, afer a little work on my part, she's a happy Linux convert.

Dustin2128
October 16th, 2010, 03:50 AM
+1
Oxwivi meet _outlawed_, vice versa, your first friends!

Giant Speck
October 16th, 2010, 04:04 AM
http://www.xandros.com/images/products/p900_asus_500x397.gif

Dumbing down the interface doesn't make it any more "ready for the average user."

earthpigg
October 16th, 2010, 04:18 AM
my sister, a non-nerd, actually spends more time each day with Linux than I do.

I assembled her Ubuntu desktop from parts, and she tethers her cell phone to it for the internet. She uses Google's distribution of Linux on her cell phone, and between the two she has Linux within arms reach of her person nearly 24 hours a day.

a few friends and most of the older folks in my family are also non-dual-boot linux users, and none are nerds.

ctyc
October 16th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I maintain that it is not my burden to show the peasants the way of gnu/linux. So that would be a zero count.

Spice Weasel
October 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Dumbing down the interface doesn't make it any more "ready for the average user."

I beg to differ. The "average user" uses their computer as a media player, for browsing the internet, chatting online and writing documents. That lets then do all of those things.

blueturtl
October 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Such vulgar wording... "swapped".

How about introduced? :P

I've mostly tried to avoid door-to-door conversion of people and have instead opted for a more subtle approach: show Linux off when you get a chance to use it in a normal situation.

Due to this, my sister uses Linux (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=879562), my brother uses Linux, my parents have an Ubuntu server for automated backups and one of my neighbors dual-boots to have a working mouse (http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/919120-cant-use-any-mouse-vista.html).

All these "conversions" happened completely naturally as a consequence of my Linux literacy, rather than advocacy.

Random_Dude
October 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I've installed Ubuntu using Wubi in some of my friends' computers when they asked me to. But they just play around with it occasionally.
Even I have to dual boot, so I'm not 100% converted to Linux.

Cheers :cool:

khelben1979
October 24th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Only my younger brother. It pleases me that he has decided to throw out Windows. Apparently Wine 1.3.5 works good with World of Warcraft. 8-)

ctrlmd
October 24th, 2010, 01:03 PM
none i don't try to convince anyone to use anything
they use what they like
some of them prefer windows and others prefer mac and im the only one who use windows and linux

stuarttanner
October 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I have swapped a few guys over to Ubuntu in the 3 years i have been using this OS, they all seem to go back to windows for things that i feel would not bother me.
i.e i tunes ???? but you can work around these things in Ubuntu.
people seem to enjoy the fact that they are Microsoft's meal ticket!
i stand in shops like the other day looking at Microsoft office up for 129 in my local asda a man was looking at it and i muttered under my breath that you can get a better package with open office lol.
I personally only use Ubuntu and will not allow anything Microsoft in my house full stop, my 2 teenage daughters use it and love it.
even my 8 year old son uses it on his laptop.
so for me i think we will never be going back.. :)

Rasa1111
October 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM
5-15 option.

Ive gotten my whole family to switch, young and old.
Ive also switched over everyone i call 'friend'..
which is about 5-6 people. lol
All but one that is, he still uses windows because he 'needs it to dj' he says. (he's a member here to, hope you see this) :lol:

Ive also gotten a number of people from the observatory to switch to
Ubuntu.

I think ive 'converted' apprx 30 or so computers from windows to fully Ubuntu, completely removing windows.

And out of all these people/computers..
none of them have had any real issues yet.

Ive been using Ubuntu for like 10-11 maybe months,
and after I was using it for about 3 months, is when i started getting other people 'hooked up'.

So its been a number of months all these computers/users were switched to ubuntu..
and they are all doing great with it.
Everyone is very impressed and happy.

and I am constantly on the look out for other unhappy windows users,
Ilove the feeling of clicking that "use the entire disk" button in an Ubuntu install..

it makes me feel that somewhere, there is a bill gates who dies a little inside each time. haha

Whenever I go to visit my dad now, he tells me he is going to get me a custom made "windows destroyer" t shirt. :lol: lol

t.rei
October 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I don't convert people. Especially not friends. It's weird to see them stand there, seeing me using linux and not trying talk them into using it, too.

However, if they have their usual "my printer doesn't work" problems, or "I cannot find a driver for my scanner." or "how do I change the language?" issues. I usually help them by letting them print from my computer, or scan on my computer or tell them "you need to buy a version of windows that can change language, and then reinstall all software in that new language." ... or smile and shrug.

Honestly. Let them use what they like, thats what the freedom of choice is all about!

And it's not costing ME anything and makes living with anyone alot easier if you skip the conversion-speeches.

I know why I use ubuntu linux for my everyday work and play. ;)

doorknob60
October 24th, 2010, 05:50 PM
2. One of them uses it occasionally, but still prefers Windows. The other, I haven't heard from him about it in ages, I guess he still uses it maybe. Or maybe he got a new computer since then, not sure really. Also my brothers and parents use it full time, so that has to count for something :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 24th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I make them install it themselves. They will have to do it themselves eventually so why not get them started off right. Therefore, I have swapped zero.

Schrute Farms
October 25th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I can't take credit for the switch but...
My sister in law just had a computer given to her. I guess it was one that a friend of hers fixed up. Anyway, I saw her using it for the first time today, and I was pretty surprised/happy to see her using Ubuntu 10.??. She said she was pretty happy with it, and since it was her first computer since the stone ages, she doesn't know anything about Windows, so there is no learning curve/bad habits to overcome.
Her son has been using Windows for years, but he is talking about making the switch because he's so impressed with what he sees.

I think this helps to show that the biggest problem with the acceptance of Ubuntu is pre-conceived notions about how hard Linux/Ubuntu is to use. And that some people don't want to try to learn a new way to use their computer, even if it isn't that difficult, just because they are used to Windows.

Rasa1111
October 25th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I think this helps to show that the biggest problem with the acceptance of Ubuntu is pre-conceived notions about how hard Linux/Ubuntu is to use. And that some people don't want to try to learn a new way to use their computer, even if it isn't that difficult, just because they are used to Windows.

Most definitely.

That was always my "main issue" about switching to Linux.
Then i actually tried Ubuntu... and was dumbfounded how easy it was. lol

All those years, not using it because of old useless FUD.

My dad said the same thing when I helped him switch.
"I can't believe it is so easy and soo good!" lol

Well said mate. :D <3

Old *ix Geek
October 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Do online people I've never met count? In real life, I've converted several people, but online I've converted a LOT. Most recently, a blog post I wrote about things Linux can do that windoze can't [see link in my sig] has convinced numerous people to switch. I've had so much good feedback from that post, with people thanking me for telling them how TODAY'S Linux really is and giving them the push they needed to switch.

Then i actually tried Ubuntu... and was dumbfounded how easy it was. lol

All those years, not using it because of old useless FUD.

My dad said the same thing when I helped him switch.
"I can't believe it is so easy and soo good!" lolEvery person I've converted to (K)Ubuntu makes a similar statement within a week or so of dumping windoze.

It really annoys me that there's still so much misinformation out there about how "difficult" and "non-user friendly" Linux is. :rolleyes:

Like I've said before, if my mother can use Linux with ease, ANYONE can. I switched her from windows and she had absolutely no major issues getting used to Kubuntu. Some time later I asked her if she missed windows and she said, "ARE YOU KIDDING?!" :lolflag:

yesrno
October 25th, 2010, 08:48 AM
1, which is my 9 year old sister using her Pentium 3 haha. 1 sunday I decided to boost up the thing by installing some small linux distro (Slax). And now shes actually able to use her computer again :) msn and firefox are good enough.
I'll get my parents to switch over aswell... Some day :evil:

NightwishFan
October 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I have heard my own mother advocate it during holidays. :) "It does what you want, no more waiting, and I have had it for 2 years without any of those popups".