PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Emulate Win+Left and Win+Right Windows 7 Behavior

extremelycool
October 12th, 2010, 12:06 AM
These are 2 cool shortcuts in Windows 7:

[Windows+Left] – Dock window to the left side
[Windows+Right] – Dock window to the right side

When you press Windows + left arrow the active window occupies 50% of the screen (on the left), and when you press Windows + right arrow the active window occupies 50% of the screen on the right.

I have tried to set this up with gnome on Ubuntu but have't managed it so far.

I am sure this can be setup in gnome. How can it be done?

In summary this splits two windows on the screen so one window occupies 50% of screen on left and the other on the right, how can this be setup and executed pronto on ubuntu?

Dyegov
October 12th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I'd like to know the exact same thing, if someone can help please. Thanks.

michaelzap
October 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
The easiest way is just to enable the Grid plugin in Compiz. That's what I do, and it works perfectly. But if you prefer to use your mouse to "aero snap", you can try this tutorial:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/get-aero-snap-in-ubuntu/

Be aware that if you use multiple desktops, you won't be able to drag windows from one to another if you use the mouse method.

extremelycool
October 12th, 2010, 03:08 PM
WOW!

Thanks.

Awesome.

I installed the grid using:

"sudo aptitude install compiz-fusion-plugins-extra"

and then set the keyboard shortcuts.

then after restarting i was off to the races.

Limeni
October 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Compiz Grid plugin rules!!!
You can even set to move windows in the corners or top-left and like that...
Way more powerful then Windows 7 :P

michaelzap
October 12th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Yep. I agree. Anything that Windows can do, Linux already does better.

Please don't forget to mark your thread as SOLVED so that others searching for the same answer will know where to look.

extremelycool
October 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Done. Sorry for neglecting that, this was my first thread. Thanks for the polite reprimand!

michaelzap
October 13th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Done. Sorry for neglecting that, this was my first thread. Thanks for the polite reprimand!

That wasn't a reprimand. Lots of people don't even know that there's a "Mark as Solved" link up there in the thread tools for threads you create. I didn't know either until I happened upon a thread where someone else politely pointed it out to the poster.

Welcome to the forums!

kfoege
January 30th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Exactly the feature I have been looking for!
But how do you define the keyboard shortcuts. After installing the compiz, I ran the ccsm. But I have no clue what I should write as the commands to accomplish the win-left and right behavior. Can anyone help me, please?
Thanks, Kristian