PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What is the minimum partition size need it for Ubuntu netbook

alqin
October 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I want to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my EEE PC 901.
I want to make a partition for that on the 16 gb hdd.
What is the minimum size required by the Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a fresh install?

mörgæs
October 12th, 2010, 08:17 AM
There should be plenty of space within 16 GB. Here is an example:

Root: 4 GB
Swap: Double the amount of memory, but not more than 4 GB
Home: What you feel is necessary

alqin
October 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
So the minimum required space for Ubuntu Netbook is 4 GB?

I remember reading somewhere that the swap partition is not even necessary with a lot of memory. Is this true?. I have 1 GB RAM.

mikechant
October 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I have nearly the same hardware (EEE PC 1000, 1Gb RAM) and it runs quite happily without a swap partition, but it's only used for fairly light duties (e.g. Browser+video player).

There are some recommendations not to have a swap partition on an SSD (particularly a small one) since it may help wear the disk out faster, but I think it's more likely that the space would generally just go unused and be wasted.

Note you must have a 1Gb minimum swap space if you want to be able to hibernate though.

As far as root size is concerned I would say 3Gb is the bare minimum, 4Gb should be OK for most people and 5Gb would cater for installing a larger number of big software packages (not very likely on a small netbook).

mörgæs
October 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM
There is no clear definition of how much space is necessary. A hard drive should not be filled more than 3/4, so 4 GB is a good rule of thumb.

If you are low on space, remember to clean up with

sudo apt-get clean
once in a while.

If you plan to use suspend/resume, swap is needed. Go for 2 GB.

In general, just try something and see how it works. You can always change the partitions later using Gparted.

alqin
October 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Thank you guys for helping me get start it.

mikechant
October 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
mörgæs said:

If you plan to use suspend/resume, swap is needed. Go for 2 GB.

Sorry, this is wrong. You only need swap for hibernate. Suspend/resume is a low power state where your RAM contents are retained. Hibernate is a 'non-power' state where your RAM contents are written to swap and the machine then powers off.

I use suspend/resume constantly on my eeePC with *no* swap defined.

hecatae
October 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
depends what you need, I have previously slimmed Ubuntu down to 1.6 GB for my eeepc701 4G

mörgæs
October 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Sorry, this is wrong. You only need swap for hibernate. Suspend/resume is a low power state where your RAM contents are retained. Hibernate is a 'non-power' state where your RAM contents are written to swap and the machine then powers off.

I use suspend/resume constantly on my eeePC with *no* swap defined.

Thanks for correcting.