PDA

View Full Version : USA turbo tax alternative

chicoharv
October 11th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I want to forget windows completely but need to keep duel boot unless I can find alternative software or if Turbo tax deluxe will work with WINE;does anybody have answers?

techunit
October 11th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Paper, Pen, And Calculator. I don't believe so. I do my taxes by hand (auditing and security reasons). As for an alternative I can't thing of any that are going to work that well or even work at all. I know that you can do your taxes in OOO spreadsheet...

DavePlummer
October 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Most online services work nicely in Firefox on Ubuntu. I use TaxACT.

sgosnell
October 12th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I've been using TurboTax Online for a couple or 3 years, and it works well with Ubuntu. Using the online edition, it doesn't matter what your OS is. Plus you don't have to install the software.

efflandt
October 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I also use TaxAct, which is free on-line (any income) if you want to, but I pay $9.95, so they retain data to make the following year easier. But first I download the PDF tax forms and instructions and do those. If everything matches I am good to e-file, if not, I figure out what "I" did wrong.

Once you finish with TaxAct on-line, you can print/save as PDF the forms that will be e-filed (or that you can mail in).

My state has their own free on-line e-file.

None of that on-line requires any particular OS.

oldwismn
January 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I want to forget windows completely but need to keep duel boot unless I can find alternative software or if Turbo tax deluxe will work with WINE;does anybody have answers?

I attempted to run the 2010 version of H&R Block at Home Deluxe under Crossover. I installed IE7 and then H&R Block. The install worked fine and the program appeared to work fine. However, I have not been able to install the updates, and without the updates H&R Block will not allow me to file the return or even enter information for the state return. So I am stuck with running it under Windows.

I know that there are several online tax programs that work under Ubuntu, but that it not a cost effective solution for a family with several taxpayers.

dnguyen1963
January 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
www.taxslayer.com is the best for doing taxes. It is an online software so it does not matter which OS you are running.

j1mc
January 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I was able to use TurboTax online, but had to use the Arora browser with the user agent set to Safari 4.0.4 (Mac). I also set it to allow all cookies while using the site, as Arora kept warning me about a tracking cookie being used by the site (!!).

sgosnell
January 31st, 2011, 08:04 AM
I've been doing it online with Firefox in Linux for several years, never a problem.