I upgraded with 1 or 2 problems
I Upgraded with 3 or more problems
I tried to upgrade but it failed and died

I fresh installed without any problems
I fresh installed with 1 or 2 problems
I fresh installed with 3 or more problems
I tried to fresh install but it failed and died

Something else happened when I installed

For my own one, I only had 1 problem I don't believe was not my hardwares fault (I have a non Linux piece of hardware). The forward button on the 'Who are you?' part of the install stayed blanked out and unclickable.

scouser73
October 11th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I upgraded without any problems, nice and easy installation just the way it should be. :)

andymorton
October 11th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I voted for ''Fresh install without any problems'' but I've also upgraded without any problems on my netbook. I have to say I think the new installer is a massive improvement on the previous one. It's a lot more straight-forward and accessible, especially if someone is using it for the first time.

andy

P.S. Is there any cake?

Naiki Muliaina
October 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I voted for ''Fresh install without any problems'' but I've also upgraded without any problems on my netbook.

Hmmm I should have allowed multiple options... My first ever poll I think, to late to edit now :D

P.S. Is there any cake?

Sorry sir. The cake is a lie. :(

NCLI
October 11th, 2010, 10:45 PM
One of these posts.

I Upgraded without any problems
I upgraded with 1 or 2 problems
I Upgraded with 3 or more problems
I tried to upgrade but it failed and died

I fresh installed without any problems
I fresh installed with 1 or 2 problems
I tried to fresh install but it failed and died

Something else happened when I installed

For my own one, I only had 1 problem I don't believe was not my hardwares fault (I have a non Linux piece of hardware). The forward button on the 'Who are you?' part of the install stayed blanked out and unclickable.
It might interest you to know that the official poll will open in Installations and Upgrades in a few days :)

Lucradia
October 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I fresh installed without any problems except the glitchy random flash noises.

Naiki Muliaina
October 11th, 2010, 10:48 PM
It might interest you to know that the official poll will open in Installations and Upgrades in a few days :)

Ooops! I never look in that sub forum :roll:

Feel free to poof this poll! Lock it, delete it, let it drop off or something else :D

Frogs Hair
October 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Clean installation , problem free .

NCLI
October 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Ooops! I never look in that sub forum :roll:

Feel free to poof this poll! Lock it, delete it, let it drop off or something else :D
Why? It's not up yet, there is nothing wrong with unofficial polls.

Anyway, as you can see in my sig, I voted for "I tried to upgrade but it failed and died". It should have been "I tried to install", but I misread.

Lupi
October 12th, 2010, 12:59 AM
... where's the cake?

_outlawed_
October 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Fresh installation. 0 problems.

Smooth sailing baby.

AoSteve
October 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I first attempted a network install on my 10.4 install.. It worked but boy that turned into a mistake... The system became pretty slow and bootup; ouch.

I ended up removing all of gnome and X and reinstalling the whole lot from the command line with he newer repo's. Also ended up removing some other, less required software. Boot times are a lot better now and I don't really see much improvement in performance. However; I guess it would be rather difficult for me since I like running a at a low amount of resources being used!

By the way, someone said there was cake?

annoyingrob
October 12th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I ended up zeroing all my drives and installing 10.10 from scratch (trying to get rid of some legacy raid superblocks). The installation went without issue, however grub never installed onto the MBR. I had to manually install it.

The biggest issue I'm having is with my graphics card and multiple monitors. It's an ATI Radeon x850xt, with one monitor running 1600x1200, and another running 1024x768.
For some reason, the background image only stretches half way onto the 2nd monitor (the smaller one), leaving a big void which shows whatever was last on top of it. Applications work fine on the 2nd monitor, it's just that the background doesn't. Never had this issue with Lucid.

Edit: I also selected the poll option "Upgraded with 1 or 2 problems", but meant to chose "Installed with 1 or 2 problems" oops.

Rasa1111
October 12th, 2010, 01:10 AM
damn,
I chose "upgraded without any problems",
But I actually did a fresh install without any problems. lol
mybad.

jcolyn
October 12th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Clean Kubuntu install. Went without a hitch.

Gnome won't run on this computer but installed and ran fine on my laptop..

qyot27
October 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM

However, those problems weren't actually because of Maverick itself - since I found I suddenly couldn't boot from CD*, I was attempting some exotic stuff (booting the ISO from Grub2; I should have known I couldn't do an install that way...on the plus side, though, it did actually get into the Live environment without issue - something I tried and failed at with either Karmic or Lucid) and had to finally open up my case and switch power cables on my optical drives to get the LiveCD to boot...and then switch them back after I was finished. Once that was done, it was pretty much smooth sailing. Still took most of the day because I was trying to get the ISO booting to work and XP's Checkdisk ended up throwing a fit for a reason I have no answer to.

*long story; I had to replace the PSU in June (thus after I'd already installed Lucid), can only hook up one optical drive at a time now, no choice but to use the slave drive as the dedicated one. Seems if a drive is slave, you can't boot from it unless the master has power running to it too, even if the OS doesn't care.

I just have to realign all my settings and installed programs - a separate /home makes this easier, but it's still kind of a pain. Considering I go through this realignment process every time, though, it's a pain I expect.

Ubiquity's new look is nice, very slick. The only nitpick I had is that there was no option to do the traditional 'resize existing OS partition and install Ubuntu in the free space' tactic unless you went and manually edited the partitions (which I'd have to do anyway since I use a separate /home, but it was a tad jarring to see only two options - 'Erase entire drive' and 'Manual edit').

On a secondary note, my birthday happens to be October 10th, so I was rather amused ever since that was announced as Maverick's release date.

cariboo
October 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I've been using Maverick since the toolchain upload, there were quite a few problems along the way, but everything ended well.

Where's the cake? :)

Aetixintro
October 12th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks for making this thread!! :)

My upgrade went without any problems as well! So fine a system...

Cheers! \\:D/

Spice Weasel
October 12th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I don't plan to upgrade, and haven't.

Also, where's my cake? :P

lecterror
October 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Upgraded Lucid on laptop, went smooth except for this issue (http://askubuntu.com/questions/5794/lost-audio-after-upgrading-from-10-04-to-10-10).

Upgraded Lucid on my primary desktop PC, zero issues so far.

Seems like a really nice release, didn't see any reason not to update.

Ubuntu 10.10 - =D>

Edit:

Cake is a lie.

Elfy
October 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Closed due to this ^^, the absolutely awful cake lie and this Sticky : Poll: Share with the community your Maverick Meerkat install/upgrade experience (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1595311)