PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install at all; doesn't go past first installation screen

Pott
October 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
My system is self built:

ASUS P7P55D mobo
Core i3-540
MSI GTX460
4GB Corsair RAM

I tried both 64 and 32 bits.

First, the live session is constrained to 600 x 800... on a 22" screen. This is not that bad, I just can install the restricted drivers when I get this installed for good.

So I go to install it and nothing. I select my language, go to Forward, chose not to install the MP3 drivers and press next. And it stops. Says it keeps on loading and nothing happens.

Irony is... I have an old laptop which runs 9.10 just fine (except that it doesn't like my 22" HDMI screen). But 10.04 wouldn't install (freezes after choosing the keyboard). I finished this new desktop just in time to try 10.10 and same thing... wouldn't install :confused:

I am totally at loss here... any ideas..? Thanks!

Mark Phelps
October 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
First, the live session is constrained to 600 x 800... on a 22" screen. This is not that bad, I just can install the restricted drivers when I get this installed for good.
Maybe not ... What's the make and model of your graphics card?

So I go to install it and nothing. I select my language, go to Forward, chose not to install the MP3 drivers and press next. And it stops. Says it keeps on loading and nothing happens.
Is anything on your hard drive already? Or is it a blank, unformatted drive?

Pott
October 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Maybe not ... What's the make and model of your graphics card?

Is anything on your hard drive already? Or is it a blank, unformatted drive?

It's a MSI GTX460 Cyclone.
It's got Windows 7 64bits installed.
I freed up a 20GB partition for Ubuntu on it that's not yet formatted. I don't even get to the screen where I can chose which partition to install on however.

hurtlocker
October 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hi! I've got the same problem. I've been waiting about 20 minutes after clicking on "forward" button and nothing happens. I've got a notebook with 3 partishions: active SYSTEM_DRV (1gb), "c" with windows system on it and "d" with all files on it (all ntfs).
No one thought to solve this problem.

Pott
October 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Any ideas..?