PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My Compaq keeps disabling wireless

Torrino
October 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I have Ubuntu 10.10, and it's keeps turning off the wireless when I'm on hotmail, or watching a video. :-| Please help!

Ruebus
January 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I've got the same problem, seems to be at random though. I use an acer. I've never had- actually that's not true - I have not had recent trouble with wireless before installing ubuntu.

xtacease
January 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM
I too am having this issue. I'm intending to use the machine as a gateway for a small LAN and this is kind of a deal breaker.

From a LAN-side device i can always ping to the WAN interface of the gateway. Problem is, my wireless NIC (WAN interface) seems to lose layer 2 connectivity at random intervals preventing any kind of traffic from traversing out to the interwebs.

I've run both tcpdump and ping commands and caught the failure, but neither provide relevant info.

tcpdump just shows arp requests (hence layer 2 problem) and ping starts getting destination unreachable.

Perhaps this is a new issue in 10.10?

Any help is appreciated!

Update:

unplugging and hot-plugging the adapter is enough to get it working again for a short while.

ravengangrel
January 23rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Please, check this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10388907#post10388907

If my workaround works for you, please, answer to my thread stating your hardware. I would like to know if this is related to some particular hardware.