View Full Version : [SOLVED] Alternative?

October 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I've always wondered, what exactly is the difference between alternate and desktop?

Example would be the ubuntu torrent downloads:

# ubuntu-10.10-alternate-amd64.iso.torrent
# ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.iso.torrent
# ubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent
# ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Is there any difference? I notice the alternate is a little smaller in size than the desktop ones.

October 11th, 2010, 08:16 PM
The alternate installer lets you install Ubuntu on a computer using a text-based interface, rather than the pretty graphical one that you get with the standard desktop version.

It is useful especially for installing on machines that don't have enough memory to run the graphical installer, but do have enough memory to run Ubuntu once installed. I think there are a couple other cases where the alternate installer is useful, but that's one case.

EDIT: To be more clear, the Ubuntu that is installed in both cases is the same Ubuntu version, with all the pretty graphics. The only difference is in the installer.

October 11th, 2010, 08:52 PM
The Alternate CD also allows more advanced installation: CLI only system, expert mode, OEM installation, software and fake RAID, LVM, encryption, etc.

October 11th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info, they should probably explain in detail a little bit more on the ubuntu website (right now they don't mention the differences at all).

@sisco: I'm not clicking through your link drop, sorry. :)