PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Failed

franquoir
October 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

Total newbie to Ubuntu, trying to innstall it on an spare older laptop (dell D400). Bootinng from CD, get to the screen asking to try or install, click install and get followinng message:

"The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will be ru so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again"

I keep getting this error. Any advice?

Cheers

Peter09
October 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Initially suspect the CD that you burnt. If you can, select the check CD option on the boot menu. If it does not get that far burn another CD at the slowest speed that you can and try again.

If you still have problems post the specifications and model number of your machine here.

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
What are the specs of the laptop?

franquoir
October 11th, 2010, 07:49 PM
burnt it twice but not at slowest speed, will try that now. Cheers

franquoir
October 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM
What are the specs of the laptop?

Don't laugh - Pentium 1300Mhz with 256MB RAM - Wanted a machine to just brwose the internet

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
You might be better off with something lighter - I think Ubuntu (full) need 1gb RAM...maybe look into Lubuntu ot ubuntu minimal

franquoir
October 11th, 2010, 07:55 PM
You might be better off with something lighter - I think Ubuntu (full) need 1gb RAM...maybe look into Lubuntu ot ubuntu minimal

Perfect - thanks

Peter09
October 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
You could most probably install Ubuntu using the text only installer, however Ubuntu really needs around 512Mb to work properly. You might get away with it but as previous posters have said, there are lighter systems.