PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] *ABOUT THE DRIVER (rt2870) D -LINK 125 USB ADAPTER CHANGED TO RAWLINK RT3070 DRIVER

johnsuffer
October 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
MANY TKS TO *PYTHEAS22* HELPING ME NOT GETTING ME the newbe too DISCOURAGED**

Here comes my problems

step 1/ When i downloaded the new Ubuntu 10.04 lucid release end of sept 2010 I installed duel on a pentium 133 with 512 mg ram machine choosing either XP family or Ubuntu platform at start. So far so good ! BUT WHEN WAS THE TIME TO CONNECT MY USB ADAPTER D-LINK DWA 125 N ( id 07D1 :3C0D ) DRIVER DTR 2870. CONNECTION WENT ON RIGHT AWAY ??? BUT WAS UNABLE TO CONNECT PROPPERLY ON INTERNET ??
tHE NETWORK MANAGER SHOWED ME A SOME TYPE OF LOOPBACK WITH A DEFAULT DRIVER(RT2800USB) Already installed as *Default* ??

step2/ Following instructions from the Ubuntu forum after lots of searching i found finally some commands that make senses.

step3/ Doing this command to put away the rt2800usb driver (the default one installed in the ubuntu 10.04 lucid release) So even though I performed the ndiswrapper installed and the ndisgtk software performing all steps at start to installed with windows drivers in *system admistration* the windows drivers screen helped me to install the drt2870.inf file With confirmation of *DRT2870* INSTALLED AND PRESENT* Anyway i was still getting a message from the network manager*Connection information* with a live connection
That i was using rt2800usb with wrong IP adddreses etc etc
SO i had to eliminate rt2800usb by doing this :

STEP 4/ COMMANDS IN TERMINAL

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

adding thoses lines

blacklist rt2800usbblacklist rt2x00usb
blacklist rt2x00lib

STEP 5/
SO I DECIDED TO PURGE NDISWRAPPER AND NDISGTK ALSO MY DTR 2870 DRIVER !! and try to install a new *Replacement my adapter usb driver* dtr2870 which was not *compatible* with the ubuntu 10.04 lucid platform
So by putting on google my usb id dwa125 usb adapter( id 07D1 :3C0D ) i got a site to go at *rawlink* they build the *chipset* for d-link so they gave me a download site to download the replacement driver for my rt2870 it was a TAR.bz2 file *DPO_RT3070_STA_V2....FILE. i EXTRACTED INTO MY * DOWNLOAD LINUX PLATFORM FILE* ALSO A COPY ON MY LINUX PLATFORM

Than i did these command to purge my ndiswrapper and ndisgtk (before i removed my drt2870 with the windowsdriver help screen)

BY DOING THIS : command

sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper*

STEP 5/ I reboot , my rt2870 is gone, the stupid default rt2800usb is gone ok

I M REALLY *STUCK* NO INTERNET AT ALL AND *NO WAYS* TO INSTALL THE NEW DRIVER *DPO_RT3070_STA_V2... * FILE THAT I HAVE ON MY UBUNTU PLATFORM MACHINE IN DOWNLOADS FILES ALSO A COPY ON MY DESKTOP

*HOW CAN I INSTALL THIS NEW DRIVER NOW **STEP BY STEP** PLEASE HELP ME?

THANK U ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND SPECIALY TO *PHYTHEAS22* the linux *Gouru*
Kindly yours

John the Newbe :-)

No problem for emails

at Johnc_del AT hotmail.com

flash63
October 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hi,
i think you can use the rt2870sta module. Test it.

Add the ID (command in one line):

echo 'install rt2870sta modprobe --ignore-install rt2870sta ; /bin/echo "07d1 3c0d" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2870sta.conf
Load the Module

sudo modprobe rt2870sta
iwconfig
Interface available? Try to connect!

The solution works? Ok, automatic driver load if the stick was plugged in:

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/10-d_link.rules
contents:

# UDEV-Rule for D-LINK DWA-125N ID 07D1 :3C0D
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="07d1", SYSFS{idProduct}=="3c0d", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe rt2870sta"
make it ready to work

sudo service udev reload
.. or restart

pytheas22
October 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Please try flash63's suggestion above. If that doesn't work, I can write out instructions for downloading, compiling and installing the RT3070 driver from Ralink's website.

johnsuffer
October 11th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Hi,

echo 'install rt2870sta modprobe --ignore-install rt2870sta ; /bin/echo "07d1 3c0d" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2870sta.confLoad the Module

sudo modprobe rt2870sta
iwconfigInterface available? Try to connect!

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/10-d_link.rulescontents:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="07d1", SYSFS{idProduct}=="3c0d", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe rt2870sta"make it ready to work

sudo service udev reload.. or restart

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI FLASH 63 TKS FOR YOUR HELP ! HERE WHAT HAPPEN AFTER I DID YOUR COMMANDS
YOUR 1ST COMMAND

echo 'install rt2870sta modprobe --ignore-install rt2870sta ; /bin/echo "07d1 3c0d" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2870sta.conf

Load the Module
Code:
sudo modprobe rt2870sta iwconfig

STEP 1 -Flash 63 !!here what i get after doing the echo command* line above and loading the module after iwconfig !!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sudo] password for john:
install rt2870sta modprobe --ignore-install rt2870sta ; /bin/echo "07d1 3c0d" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id
john@john:~$ sudo modprobe rt2870sta
john@john:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Belkin_N_Wireless_49F167"
Mode:Ad-Hoc Frequency:2.412 GHz Cell: D6:16:4F:BE:FF:3E
Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Power Managementn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 2/

Code:

Rule for D-LINK DWA-125N ID 07D1 :3C0D SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="07d1", SYSFS{idProduct}=="3c0d", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe rt2870sta"
-------------------------------------------------------

john@john:~$ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/10-d_link.rules
john@john:~$ ** RULES WERE SAVE TWICE IN RULES FOLDER .D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STEP 3/

sudo service udev reload
i did this an reboot ? nothing happen ?

Why do you suggest replacing drt2870 d-link driver by rt2870sta ? EXPLAIN ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

step 4/

ANOTHER COMMAND AGAIN (AFTER I REBOOT)

iwconfig

**ANSWERS*

john@john:~$ iwconfig
Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Power Managementn

tks for your help ! anymore suggestions !!

Regards

John

johnsuffer
October 12th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Please try flash63's suggestion above. If that doesn't work, I can write out instructions for downloading, compiling and installing the RT3070 driver from Ralink's website.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Pitheas22 Has you can see (Below) i dis try every step of FLASH63 Look of what happen on step1/2/3/4 ???

So id love having Your INSTRUCTIONS Now ! I have already the full DPO_rt3070sta bz2 file download from The rawlink site Its in my linux machine on my desktop But I cannot install it I tried everything The linux (Archive installer) doesnt recongnize this type of file maybe
Tks for your help anyway
John
Merci encore une fois :-)

flash63
October 12th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Hi,
the device was switched to Ad-Hoc Mode. That's wrong.

You probably build a "New Network" with the Network-Manager or there exist a manual configuration, but that's improbably. Delete this configuration. I think ist under System > Configuration > Network Configuration > Register WiFi or Wireless (I'm sorry, but i use a german localised Desktop).

For a trouble free and save connection with the Network-Manager You previously switch your Router security configuration to pure WPA2-AES (CCMP) Encryption.

Try to connect again now. Klick left on the NM Icon in the upper panel and then onto your desired network name. Enter the password (PSK - Pre-Shared-Key). The connection should be established automatically.

Why do you suggest replacing drt2870 d-link driver by rt2870sta ? EXPLAIN ?
The rt2870sta supports both Chipset-Variants (rt3070 works only with 2,4GHz not 5Ghz and reduced bandwith).

pytheas22
October 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM
So id love having Your INSTRUCTIONS Now ! I have already the full DPO_rt3070sta bz2 file download from The rawlink site Its in my linux machine on my desktop But I cannot install it I tried everything The linux (Archive installer) doesnt recongnize this type of file maybe
Tks for your help anyway
John

It looks like flash63's instructions worked for you, since when you type "iwconfig" you now see a wireless interface. So I don't think it should be necessary to compile the driver from source.

As an explanation of what flash63's directions did, they told your computer that the rt2870sta module should be used to drive your wireless card. Previously your computer would not have done this because it would have looked at the IDs of the devices that the rt2870sta driver says it should support, which did not include your particular wireless card. However, it seems (and I've read this recently on another website) that the rt2870sta is actually capable of driving your device. This is therefore an alternative solution to compiling the rt3070 module yourself. It's preferable to avoid compiling that module manually, because it can cause frustrations whenever you upgrade your kernel.

As flash63 points out, your interface is shown in ad-hoc mode now, probably because you tried to create a network rather than joining one. Unless you have non-traditional settings on your wireless network, you won't be able to connect to your wireless router in ad-hoc mode.

Are you able to connect to your network by left-clicking on the NetworkManager icon in the top-right corner of your screen and then clicking on the name of your network? This should work. If it doesn't, please post the output of:

dmesg | grep -e wlan -e rt2 -e rt3
sudo iwlist scan
iwconfig
lshw -C Network

johnsuffer
October 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
It looks like flash63's instructions worked for you, since when you type "iwconfig" you now see a wireless interface. So I don't think it should be necessary to compile the driver from source.

As an explanation of what flash63's directions did, they told your computer that the rt2870sta module should be used to drive your wireless card. Previously your computer would not have done this because it would have looked at the IDs of the devices that the rt2870sta driver says it should support, which did not include your particular wireless card. However, it seems (and I've read this recently on another website) that the rt2870sta is actually capable of driving your device. This is therefore an alternative solution to compiling the rt3070 module yourself. It's preferable to avoid compiling that module manually, because it can cause frustrations whenever you upgrade your kernel.

As flash63 points out, your interface is shown in ad-hoc mode now, probably because you tried to create a network rather than joining one. Unless you have non-traditional settings on your wireless network, you won't be able to connect to your wireless router in ad-hoc mode.

Are you able to connect to your network by left-clicking on the NetworkManager icon in the top-right corner of your screen and then clicking on the name of your network? This should work. If it doesn't, please post the output of:

dmesg | grep -e wlan -e rt2 -e rt3
sudo iwlist scan
iwconfig
lshw -C Network
----------------------------------------------------
Tks i will try those commands ! But good news I AM CONNECTED NOW
yes i am CONNECTED no problems there ! But i had to disabled the *Security* wpa/WPA2 * in my router (Otherwise I cannot connect) so i have to find ways to get around this ? I really cannot go online on an unsecured Router ?? Bcz We have 6 differents computers In my *Condo* Building using this network and now they are all UNSECURED I control the router anyway but If IM not using Linux platform I will automaticaly reinstall the security on the network You see ! But so far I was able to use Updates manager to update apx 165 new updates from my 10.04 lucid lynx platform So so far so good!

If u have time a little help on *Commands* to install wpa/wpa2 on my linux line connection
Even if i try pwa/wpa2 on the NM it doent work ?? I tried many ways It doesnt want to connect ??

psssit (Comment est la temperature a Paris Ici c'est le printemps a Montreal Canada)
See you aroud ok
Bye
John

Psssit merci pour ton aide 0

flash63
October 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM
But i had to disabled the *Security* wpa/WPA2 * in my router (Otherwise I cannot connect)
That's exactly what i wrote:

For a trouble free and save connection with the Network-Manager You previously switch your Router security configuration to pure WPA2-AES (CCMP) Encryption.

Don't use mixed encryption WPA1/WPA2!

edm00se
October 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hi,

Load the Module

sudo modprobe rt2870sta
iwconfig

contents:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="07d1", SYSFS{idProduct}=="3c0d", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe rt2870sta"
make it ready to work

sudo service udev reload
.. or restart

This worked perfectly for me in Ubuntu v10.10 "Maverick Meerkat". My device id was 07d1:3c16 with a D-Link DWA-125 H/W Rev. A2. Thanks for the help and glad to confirm it working on 10.10!

flash63
October 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
This worked perfectly for me in Ubuntu v10.10 "Maverick Meerkat". My device id was 07d1:3c16 with a D-Link DWA-125 H/W Rev. A2. Thanks for the help and glad to confirm it working on 10.10!
Hello,
in this case you must probably block the module rt2800usb permanently to avoid a collision between this driver modules.

Check the loaded modules:

lsmod | grep rt2
If rt2800usb was listed add the module to the blacklist file:

echo 'blacklist rt2800usb' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Remove the Stick and unload the Module:

sudo modprobe -r rt2800usb
Reconnect the Stick.

johnsuffer
October 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM
That's exactly what i wrote:

Don't use mixed encryption WPA1/WPA2!

HEY FLASH63 TKS FOR U,R HELP
But since I am connected now OK ! And I can surf the web ok
But I still have a little *Glitch* in the connection ? As you suggest I disambled the wpa/wpa2 encription in my router to surf the web but that leaves out all my network UNSECURED ? We are 7 differents workstation in my builing ! Now to let me use Linux platform They all would have to leave the network *working* unsecured just for me ? I am the only one assigned to control the *Router* But ethiquely talking I cannot let the network UNSECURED just for my pleasure to surf with linux Unbutu 10.04 lucid lyxn platform So I need solutions with the*Right*commands to get around this. Any suggestions would be appreciate !
Regards
Johnsuffer :-)

flash63
October 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
As you suggest I disambled the wpa/wpa2 encription in my router to surf the web but that leaves out all my network UNSECURED ?
Take a look at the security configuration at your Router. Don't switch off the encrytion, change it to pure WPA2-AES (CCMP).

WEP - old an very unsave, cracked in minutes
WPA (WPA1) TKIP - based on WEP with automatich security key change (unsave)
WPA2-AES (CCMP) - the best 128bit key encryption for private networks (use this)

You use WPA1/WPA2-Mixed Mode. Many routers offer this option for older WiFi-Equipment that do not support WPA2, but the Network-Manager has some trouble to connect with this type of encryption.

If ...
* your Router does not allow to set WPA2 only
* one of the other workstations supports only WPA(1)
... deinstall the NM and use Wicd instead.

sudo apt-get install wicd
sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager network-manager-gnome
Restart.

What kind of router do you use (Manufacturer and type/model)?

johnsuffer
October 17th, 2010, 03:13 AM
PROBLEM (SOLVED) IM FINALLY CONNECTED TO MY NETWORK 192.168.2.1

Here a short resume of what i did With helps from Pytheas22 (Ndiswrapper guide)
and help of Flash63 To install easy commands.and resolved once for all the installation of the (DLINK_DWA DRT 2870) driver who will become (rt2870sta.inf)
(For the newbees like me)

To join those masters of Ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx Just type
in The forum 1/ Wireless networking and search by Users names Pytheas22 and Flash63 in the Networking and wireless department.

Step1 / Making sure you removed once for all the default driver by doing the blacklist commands

blacklist rt2x00usb
blacklist rt2x00lib
blacklist rt2800usb

commands :

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ blacklist.conf blacklist rt2800usb blacklist rt2x00usb

clacklist rt200lib

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAVED TWICE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE GONE

** NOTE Those are the 3 modules attached to the default driver * rt2800usb * when you dowloaded and install ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx This is the driver always showing up after you install your .inf file from the CD d-link driver file( Of course You did this installation with ndiswrapper 9.1 and ndiswrapper common 1.50 and ndisgtk 1.8) All the complete installation is describe by Phytheas22 Nice GUIDE ** yOU REALLY HAVE TO INSTALL THOSE 3 PROGRAMS CORRECTLY IF YOU WANT TO USE A WINDOWS BASE DRIVER. At the top menu pressing administration go menu down up to Windows Drivers installation **

STEP 2/ Now the trick is to first removed the dtr2870.inf file installed withe the windows drivers window install

Why ! Finally i found out this with helps from Flash63 That .inf file is NOT GOOD !

So i copy it on my linux desktop and changed the name for this (Pls exactly like this)

drt2870sta.inf

STEP 3/ Redo the procedure to install using the (Windows driver install) in admistration menu and install the new file = drt2870sta.inf

A screen will pop up stating driver install but not sure if present ? Don't worry about this ok

Step 4/

command :

sudo ls -C network

answer

Finally it will show *USB* as driver instead of the rt2800usb

So you are close to connect now !

Follow instructions from Flash63 and reboot and you will be connected right away.

here they are :: Tks to Flash63 and its working ! WOW

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593480

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE !

EmreSevinc
October 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to connect to my wireless connection using my D-Link DWA-125 (N 150) Wireless USB Adapter. So far I was able to download, compile and install the driver provided by RALINK. The current situation is:

$ iwconfig

eth0 no wireless extensions.

ra0 Ralink STA ESSID:"11n-AP" Nickname:"RT2870STA"
Mode:Auto Frequency=2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality=10/100 Signal level:0 dBm Noise level:0 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
I assume that I'm using the correct driver, right?:

$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07d1:3c16 D-Link System
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I'm trying to up the ra0 interface and then do a scan, but I cannot see any networks:

$ sudo ifconfig ra0 up

$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2f:e9:81:08
inet addr:192.168.1.12 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::211:2fff:fee9:8108/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5465 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4933 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:5241984 (5.2 MB) TX bytes:886749 (886.7 KB)
Interrupt:19 Base address:0xe400

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:480 (480.0 B) TX bytes:480 (480.0 B)

ra0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr f0:7d:68:14:19:b0
inet6 addr: fe80::f27d:68ff:fe14:19b0/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10802 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:858032 (858.0 KB)

ra0:avahi Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr f0:7d:68:14:19:b0
inet addr:169.254.6.94 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
$ sudo iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

ra0 No scan resultsI also tried to "down" the eth0, again no list scan result. I even tried from the Network Manager to connect to a hidden network (even though it is not hidden, e.g. I can see my network when I click on the Network Manager applet running on another laptop, it lists my network among available networks and I can easily connect) but without success. The point is this: I cannot see any wireless networks when I click on the NM applet, I only see Wired Network Auto eth0 and then Wireless networks disconnected and no list of networks :(

Here's some probably relevant output from $ sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i network:

Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> Config: added 'ssid' value 'emretanya'
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'WPA-PSK'
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> Config: added 'psk' value '<omitted>'
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: nm_setting_802_1x_get_pkcs11_engine_path: assertion `NM_IS_SETTING_802_1X (setting)' failed
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: nm_setting_802_1x_get_pkcs11_module_path: assertion `NM_IS_SETTING_802_1X (setting)' failed
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> Activation (ra0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> Config: set interface ap_scan to 2
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> (ra0): supplicant connection state: disconnected -> scanning
Oct 17 01:50:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> (ra0): supplicant connection state: scanning -> associating
Oct 17 01:51:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> (ra0): supplicant connection state: associating -> disconnected
Oct 17 01:51:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> (ra0): supplicant connection state: disconnected -> scanning
Oct 17 01:51:14 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> (ra0): supplicant connection state: scanning -> associating
Oct 17 01:51:15 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <warn> Activation (ra0/wireless): association took too long.
Oct 17 01:51:15 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> (ra0): device state change: 5 -> 6 (reason 0)
Oct 17 01:51:15 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <warn> Activation (ra0/wireless): asking for new secrets
Oct 17 01:51:15 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> (ra0): supplicant connection state: associating -> disconnected
Oct 17 01:51:30 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <warn> (ra0): link timed out.
Oct 17 01:51:57 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> (ra0): device state change: 6 -> 9 (reason 7)
Oct 17 01:51:57 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <warn> Activation (ra0) failed for access point (emretanya)
Oct 17 01:51:57 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <info> Marking connection 'emretanya' invalid.
Oct 17 01:51:57 yusuf-desktop NetworkManager[1694]: <warn> Activation (ra0) failed.Am I missing something, or doing something wrong?

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 with latest updates and:

$ uname -a
Linux yusuf-desktop 2.6.35-22-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Sun Oct 10 09:24:00 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Also the led light on my adapter is flashing constantly (I take this as a sign that is somehow active because before I installed the driver correctly it was not flashing).

I also copied RT2870STA.dat to /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/ and did not change it, so it is as below:

#The word of "Default" must not be removed
CountryRegion=5
CountryRegionABand=7
CountryCode=
ChannelGeography=1
SSID=11n-AP
NetworkType=Infra
WirelessMode=5
Channel=0
BeaconPeriod=100
TxPower=100
BGProtection=0
TxPreamble=0
RTSThreshold=2347
FragThreshold=2346
TxBurst=1
PktAggregate=0
WmmCapable=1
AckPolicy=0;0;0;0
AuthMode=OPEN
EncrypType=NONE
WPAPSK=
DefaultKeyID=1
Key1Type=0
Key1Str=
Key2Type=0
Key2Str=
Key3Type=0
Key3Str=
Key4Type=0
Key4Str=
PSMode=CAM
AutoRoaming=0
RoamThreshold=70
APSDCapable=0
APSDAC=0;0;0;0
HT_RDG=1
HT_EXTCHA=0
HT_OpMode=0
HT_MpduDensity=4
HT_BW=1
HT_BADecline=0
HT_AutoBA=1
HT_AMSDU=0
HT_BAWinSize=64
HT_GI=1
HT_MCS=33
HT_MIMOPSMode=3
HT_DisallowTKIP=1
HT_STBC=0
IEEE80211H=0
TGnWifiTest=0
WirelessEvent=0
CarrierDetect=0
AntDiversity=0
BeaconLostTime=4
PSP_XLINK_MODE=0

pytheas22
October 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM
EmreSevinc: have you had a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1518043.html)? The solution there--which also comes courtesy of flash63--should apply to you, because it's the exact same hardware (your wireless chipset ID is "07d1:3c16", as indicated by the "lsusb" output; the chipset dealt with in that thread has the same ID).

The only reason that thread might not work for you is that you downloaded and compiled the driver from Ralink's site, which apparently is not working. To get back to the version of the driver that ships with Ubuntu, and which should work once you run the commands given in that thread, you have a couple options. First, of course, you could simply reinstall Ubuntu from scratch. A second, less dramatic option would be to reinstall just your kernel by running:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r)

Reinstalling the kernel should replace your custom version the rt2870sta module with the default Ubuntu version.

Once you have the default version, run flash63's commands from the other thread and you should be good to go.

johnsuffer: so I assume you're all set now and are able to connect to your secured network?

grasiatty
March 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
<a href="http://www.viziotvs.net">vizio tvs</a> That You Must Read or Be Left Out