PDA

View Full Version : Windows Phone 7

TheNerdAL
October 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM
So today is the launch date of Windows Phone 7 and I love how it looks. It doesn't support Flash or Cut, Copy, and Paste yet.

On Engadget, their homepage is mostly about Windows Phone 7 phones. So many phones! I feel like they are invading!

I was wondering if any of you all would be getting one. ;)

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
No way! I hate windows phones.

TheNerdAL
October 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
No way! I hate windows phones.

Why? I love the GUI...that's basically it, lol. I think it's sexier than the iPhone's.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
For one thing I hate the UI. Metro UI or whatever they're calling it has got to be the worst one yet. Next, they are pushing microsoft products on you instead of their superior counterparts (e.g. Bing). Limited multitasking, the inability to do something as simple as copy and paste...

I would easily buy an iPhone before a Windows 7 phone and iPhone's suffer from a lot of the same failures, but at least they have a good ui.

Android ftw.

KiwiNZ
October 11th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Short answer ... No

* My iPhone 4 is only a few weeks old and its awesome.
* My previous experience with Windows phones was less than inspiring.
* If I were to replace my iPhone now it would be with a Samsung Galaxy S

simpleblue
October 11th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I'd prefer Meego because it isn't run by a company that wants to dominate and control the entire world.

Lets put it this way:

Windows is just not cool. Not ethical. Not into sharing. All about the money.

So perhaps a nice phone, but costs us all in so many ways.

fatality_uk
October 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM
No

walkerk
October 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hmm. I like the UI of my Zune HD very much. I will be buying a 7 phone to see what it offers. I have an iPhone 4G and a Droid X... I do not discriminate.

Current fav: Droid X

juancarlospaco
October 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
OMG you will need the phone to call emergency, it need to be reliable,
or train a pingeon just in case

zekopeko
October 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'd prefer Meego because it isn't run by a company that wants to dominate and control the entire world.

Lets put it this way:

Windows is just not cool. Not ethical. Not into sharing. All about the money.

So perhaps a nice phone, but costs us all in so many ways.

I seriously had to laugh out loud on this one.
You do realize that Meego is backed by Intel and Nokia. That Intel that controls some 75% of the CPU market and was fined for monopolistic tactics.
And seriously how are Intel or Nokia different then MS? They are all for profit companies.

pwnst*r
October 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Lol, Meego. You prefer something that's not yet been released? ROFLALERT.

t0p
October 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
My old 3G "dumbphone" is still working; but the thing is over 3 years old, and I know one day it's going to fail on me. So I will have to buy a new phone sooner or later, and it will definitely be a smart phone.

So will it be a Windows 7 phone. Er, probably not. And this isn't just because I hate giving Microsoft my money. I've never used a 7 phone (obviously), but I have played with a couple of other Windows phones and was less than impressed. The first iPhone kicked the heck out of the Windows phones I've tried, and I think we can all agree that the first iPhone wasn't very good at all.

When the day comes and I go looking for a new phone, I'm going to check out all the options; and that will include 7 phones. But I really do like Android, and its openness is a big plus. I don't want a phone that I have to "jail-break" to get full functionality. When I spend the kind of money we're talking about, I want to feel like I own the thing I've bought. Will a 7 phone do that for me? I don't know (obviously), but if I had to guess, I'd say "No".

pricetech
October 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
In my case, no. But then I also won't be buying an iphone or an android phone.

More bells and whistles than I need or want.

pwnst*r
October 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm not really understanding the comparisons to previous windows phones, since this is a completely different OS/UI.

t0p
October 11th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I'm not really understanding the comparisons to previous windows phones, since this is a completely different OS/UI.

You're right of course, which is why I will have a good look at 7 phones before I make a decision. I've just been vocalizing my prejudice against Microsoft products. We all have our little prejudices.

smellyman
October 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Reminds me of the Kin. i.e. not good

youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOB6U5skSk)

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
We all have our little prejudices.

I cannot disagree with this.

comeback-of-the-year
October 12th, 2010, 12:34 AM
If I had the money I'd buy an Android Dell Streak, had this iPhone for 4 months and its already the most boring thing I own. Damn this 24 month contract ..

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Reminds me of the Kin. i.e. not good

youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOB6U5skSk)

Other than being an MS product, it's nothing like the Kin, but nice try.

smellyman
October 12th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Other than being an MS product, it's nothing like the Kin, but nice try.

uhhhh....wha?

it reminds ME of the Kin

but nice try...

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Yep, they both have green colors in the UI.

NCLI
October 12th, 2010, 01:08 AM
After watching the live stream a few hours ago, I definitely think Microsoft has a good product on their hands, but I really don't see a game changer.

IOW: I'm gonna stick with Android for now. However, unless Gingerbread adds some awesome gaming features, I will certainly consider moving.

smellyman
October 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Yep, they both have green colors in the UI.

You're right it doesn't remind ME of the kin anymore.

I shall use your opinion to formulate mine from now on.

Giant Speck
October 12th, 2010, 02:17 AM
If I were to buy one, I think I'd have to get one from HTC. They've done wonders with Windows phones.

Zerocool Djx
October 12th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I hate phones period...

Mine broke over a year ago,.. I had a full warranty to replace it... but after the days, weeks, months and a year goes by,.. I am not missing it.

Think about it,... my boss would call me all the time to work extra hours.. Annoying people call you at the most difficult times... Arg,.. just a head ache all around. When I go out the the clubs,.. I go where I want now.. people wanna see me they know how to find me. I carry a crap one in the glove box that has no service, but I can call 911 if needed.

RiceMonster
October 12th, 2010, 02:26 AM
You're right it doesn't remind ME of the kin anymore.

I shall use your opinion to formulate mine from now on.

Hopefully nobody will ever disagree with YOUR opinion ever again.

smellyman
October 12th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Hopefully nobody will ever disagree with YOUR opinion ever again.

Hey, I am not the one who started this with the "but nice try". Like I am an idiot for thinking the way I do.

seemed a little jerkish to me for no apparent reason.

Slug71
October 12th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Microsoft just needs to bow out of the phone market.

betrunkenaffe
October 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Looked at the picture of the Kin and the phone, looks similar, what with both appearing to have a boxed layout grid in which you can interface with it.

I know nothing about either (except that video).

Also, I find it ugly, might just be the video that gives that impression.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Also, I find it ugly, might just be the video that gives that impression.

Or your sense for style. :KS

amitabhishek
October 12th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Lol, Meego. You prefer something that's not yet been released? ROFLALERT.

Says who?

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900

Colonel Kilkenny
October 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
And seriously how are Intel or Nokia different then MS? They are all for profit companies.

Just a quick answer: Intel & Nokia are both among the biggest contributors in open source. Have been for years and will be even more important in the future. Your lovely Ubuntu 10.10 wouldn't be as good as it is without Intel & Nokia. Kernel, x.org, Qt, GTK+, etc. are quite important stuff.

MS is not funding your desktop OS development with hundreds of millions (or billions). There's the difference.

Grenage
October 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Microsoft just needs to bow out of the phone market.

I hope they don't; competition is good.

Just a quick answer: Intel & Nokia are both among the biggest contributors in open source. Have been for years and will be even more important in the future. Your lovely Ubuntu 10.10 wouldn't be as good as it is without Intel & Nokia. Kernel, x.org, Qt, GTK+, etc. are quite important stuff.

MS is not funding your desktop OS development with hundreds of millions (or billions). There's the difference.

OSS has nothing to do with a company being (or not being) for profit - pretty much every company is for profit. Why would the ongoing development of new and improved Operating Systems be viewed poorly?

m4tic
October 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
My old 3G "dumbphone" is still working; but the thing is over 3 years old, and I know one day it's going to fail on me. So I will have to buy a new phone sooner or later, and it will definitely be a smart phone.

So will it be a Windows 7 phone. Er, probably not. And this isn't just because I hate giving Microsoft my money. I've never used a 7 phone (obviously), but I have played with a couple of other Windows phones and was less than impressed. The first iPhone kicked the heck out of the Windows phones I've tried, and I think we can all agree that the first iPhone wasn't very good at all.

When the day comes and I go looking for a new phone, I'm going to check out all the options; and that will include 7 phones. But I really do like Android, and its openness is a big plus. I don't want a phone that I have to "jail-break" to get full functionality. When I spend the kind of money we're talking about, I want to feel like I own the thing I've bought. Will a 7 phone do that for me? I don't know (obviously), but if I had to guess, I'd say "No".

Funny how you jailbreak/root Ubuntu to install software all the time.

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Says who?

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900

Stock on a manufacturer's phone, not a port. N900? Lol.

Giant Speck
October 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
OSS has nothing to do with a company being (or not being) for profit - pretty much every company is for profit. Why would the ongoing development of new and improved Operating Systems be viewed poorly?
Because Microsoft is "evil". Just because. Duh.

Grenage
October 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Because Microsoft is "evil". Just because. Duh.

Silly me. ;)

slackthumbz
October 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I prefer Maemo but I'll probably put MeeGo on my n900 when it matures enough as a platform.

Spr0k3t
October 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Being a consultant in the large technology sector, I can honestly say there isn't anything groundbreaking that isn't already available from other phones.

Now, from my personal perspective... the interface is a bit horrid for the on the go type of person. I can see more problems happening for those people who aren't supposed to be using their phones and driving at the same time but do it anyway. There are no unique icons if they are constantly changing. So for those interested in looking at one of these wp7 phones... if you already have an android based or iphone with 3G or better... wait at least a year before even thinking about it. We all know Microsoft will dump billions of development into a failed product to make it the center of the universe (see IE for an example of that). I don't think Microsoft is going to leave the phone game any time soon.

Microsoft's direct competition for this phone is going to be Blackberry in the corporate sector. I don't think they will be able to even scratch the dominant android or iphone private sector market. As for me, it's a Microsoft product... so I won't even consider purchasing one.

Shakz
October 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Fun fact...besides the Iphone...its the only other phone that supports netflix streaming.

Spr0k3t
October 12th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Fun fact...besides the Iphone...its the only other phone that supports netflix streaming.

Because we all want to watch movies on our phones... lol.

johnboy1313
October 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I forsee purple text message of death, its a good combo of red rings and blue screen

Gr3ghammett
October 12th, 2010, 10:01 PM
i rather have a DynaTAC than another win phone

Dustin2128
October 12th, 2010, 10:25 PM

ugh, I wish people would stop saying "x wouldn't be y without z". You cannot predict alternate realities. If adobe skipped a linux flash port, more people than just the free software zealots would be working on gnash right now. Also GTK+ is a community developed thing...

Zoot7
October 12th, 2010, 11:09 PM
No and TBH I don't really have any desire to purchase a smartphone, for me any old cheap brick that'll do basic calls and texts is enough.

Giant Speck
October 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM
<xkcd>But who uses that?</xkcd>

Colonel Kilkenny
October 13th, 2010, 10:52 AM
ugh, I wish people would stop saying "x wouldn't be y without z". You cannot predict alternate realities. If adobe skipped a linux flash port, more people than just the free software zealots would be working on gnash right now. Also GTK+ is a community developed thing...

Oh, right. So because someone else might have been doing all the kernel or x.org stuff and might have bought Trolltech and relicense Qt and etc. etc. nobody should pay any respect to those who actually DID it.

Also, GTK+, like almost all other major parts of Gnome software stack, is developed by communities. And companies like Nokia happen to be part of those communities. For an example Hildon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildon) is now part of Gnome and deeply connected with your "community developed" GTK+...