PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] startup malfunction

mrodent
October 11th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Dear all,

Can anyone make suggestions about this:
- I have 10.10 (beta) installed (NB pls don't tell me to use 10.04 or to upgrade to 10.10 alpha, when I did these it messed up my display - I have a problematic GPU, Intel GMA 500).

- The last few times I have booted up the Desktop gets displayed, the top, bar and the bottom bar... but the Desktop is empty (no icons)... and there is a dreaded "busy icon"/"spinning wheel". Which does not go away.

- Furthermore, in the bottom bar, there are innumerable vertical lines which suggest to me that somehow a vast number of apps (or instances of the same app) are being launched spuriously.

- Functionality is still there, although I cannot explore any of the disks etc. I have tried "top" and tried killing various PIDs... no joy on reboot. I have also got rid of *all* the "startup" apps. Again, no joy.

- Prior to this I had been doing things like experimenting with multiple work spaces, installing and using VirtualBox. And much besides.

I now intend to rewrite a Macrium image of this Linux partition of 2 days ago, i.e. to roll back.

But why would something like this happen? And why can't it set itself right when you shut down + reboot? It's experiences like this that make you wonder whether, still, Linux may not be adequately robustly designed to switch away from the vileware OS (MS).

ubunterooster
October 11th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I had a similar experience with Ubuntu's Betas that ended up with me using Linux Mint for a while. I am not sure why this is happening but am glad you remembered to keep backups.

Rolling back looks to be the thing to do