PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 10.10 - Can't start Gnome

mrteatime
October 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I've just upgraded my PC from 10.04 to 10.10 using the update manager. After the system asked me to restart it rebooted into a command line login, and any command I type to start Gnome brings up errors.

Any version of gdm comes up with 'Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager'

startx seems to have a problem with the Nvidia drivers ie 'Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so'

When I restart the computer the Gnome loading screen starts and then it gives a list of errors the only one I can make out being 'no usable aperture found' then loads the command line login.

Im sure Im missing something simple so any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

gatorbrit
October 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I've just upgraded my PC from 10.04 to 10.10 using the update manager. After the system asked me to restart it rebooted into a command line login, and any command I type to start Gnome brings up errors.

Any version of gdm comes up with 'Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager'

startx seems to have a problem with the Nvidia drivers ie 'Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so'

When I restart the computer the Gnome loading screen starts and then it gives a list of errors the only one I can make out being 'no usable aperture found' then loads the command line login.

Im sure Im missing something simple so any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

I have the same problem. 10.10 is not loading the correct nvidia drivers (I think).
Any ideas?

mrteatime
October 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I managed to solve it by deleting the nvidia drivers from the command line. It works ok although there are some occasional minor graphics glitches. There is no longer a driver for my card in the drivers option, and I cant get nvidias legacy driver to install. I think I just have to accept the fact that my (8 year old) graphics card is too old.

To be far windows 7 wont run at all with it so I cant really complain.

gatorbrit
October 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Solution is here...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9949419&postcount=9