PDA

View Full Version : Unity Sidebar - How to add items to it?

JMWIV
October 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Deleting unwanted items from the Unity Sidebar is easy.

but how do you add to it? I'd like to add Terminal, Calibre and some other things to the sidebar for easier access.

I would also like to move Google Chrome to the top of the bar, instead of the middle.

So how does one customize this side bar in Unity?

other than not knowing how to customize my applications in the sidebar, Unity is pretty awesome.

ankspo71
October 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hi,
To add items to the sidebar, you have to launch the applications first. When the application starts, you will see an icon appear in the sidebar. Right click on that icon in the sidebar, and choose "Keep in panel"** (or something like that).
**Edit: The correct term is "Keep In Launcher"

ankspo71
October 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
hi again,

I just figured out how to move items. Left click on the icon that you want to move and drag it towards the middle of the screen. When the icon gets far enough away from the panel a white line will appear in the panel indicating where the icon can be placed. Move that line up and down while still dragging the icon. Let go of the icon and it will get placed into the new location.

Hope this helps.

JMWIV
October 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Awesome, thanks!

worked like a charm.

forces-before
October 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Well, i have the problem with adding Knotes to sidebar - In knotes, i set "show note in taskbar", and i see it, but i can't lock it in the sidebar...
EDIT:
figured it out - i just didn't realise, that there's a traybar icon for KNotes.

Seb1982
October 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
This doesn't seem to work with every application. Or does anyone know how to add miro to the sidebar?

gregconquest
December 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I'd like one enhancement to unity's sidebar, and I've noticed one bug, which another enhancement would do for now as a workaround.

First, the bug. The sidebar obscures the left side of some web pages:
example page (http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/the-strange-unpredictable-pricing-3g-data-plans-485)
I've noticed this before as well. It seems the browser is reporting the screen width to the server, not the area the browser is actually displaying (Chromium in this case; same effect on Firefox and Epiphany, though).

Auto-hide would be a decent workaround for this. If the sidebar shrunk to 2 or 3 pixels running down the left side of the screen, it would be much less of a problem in terms of obscuring pages, and it would give us more screen real estate to use.

The other problem has to do with the number of icons in the sidebar and the problem of finding other apps. I'd like to put a meta-icon / folder in the sidebar for "Browsers" and add Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Firefox, and Epiphany all there. Ditto for "Utils" holding the terminal, system monitor, etc. As it is now, there are too many icons to see, and they are too unresponsive on my standard 2GB 1.7GHz netbook.

Also navigating to specific apps is onerous.

Why was Unity adopted as the default for 10.10? It is not ready.