PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade or Reinstall???

dioxholster
October 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I want my personal files to remain and sstuff like Tomboy notes to be saved. I dont mind hours of installation or losing my customizations, all i care for are the files and a few softwares like VLC, chrome, transmission, celtx, etc. So should i upgrade or reinstall? i never tried either of them.

BingHeZhouKe
October 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I want my personal files to remain and sstuff like Tomboy notes to be saved. I dont mind hours of installation or losing my customizations, all i care for are the files and a few softwares like VLC, chrome, transmission, celtx, etc. So should i upgrade or reinstall? i never tried either of them.

upgrade,it is safe and easy and any of your personal files or settings will be saved.:guitar:

mrgs
October 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
- but if you nevertheless run into trouble, here is a solution:
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857

No matter what you do, best is to wait a few days.

dioxholster
October 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM
So what will happen if I chose to reinstall or clean install? I mean what do most ubuntu users do? In windows i never upgrade, but Ubuntu I don't what will happen.

dino99
October 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
cant give a good answer as we dont know how your installation is. Usually ubuntu is installed using 3 partitions:
- / : root partition bootable, ext4, about 12 gb
- swap: 2 gb
- /home: ext4, unlimited space, its where you store your data and settings

if your system is like that, then upgrading only happen into /, nothing change on /home (data are safe there)

If you want a fresh install, take care to install on the good partition: ie / (you need to know its name to select it, gparted give you this info, like /dev/sdx, x is from a to z), and use the "alternate" iso that let you choose the partition for a manual installation.