PDA

View Full Version : How's "The Perfect 10" treating us so far?

kaldor
October 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I haven't given it a go yet. How is it? What sorts of bugs, etc?

I'm not asking for a feature list or anything like that.. just wondering if it's better than the previous releases yet. Karmic and Lucid failed me horribly.

cgroza
October 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I did an Internet Upgrade and at the first impression its cool. New themes, new wallpapers, some GUI additions and the menus are a bit changed. And of course all the software with new features and versions. Its faster than Lucid here.

cra1g321
October 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah i noticed its a bit snapper than 10.04, Basically 10.04 polished up a good bit, and with features. Going to do a fresh install tomorrow or tonight if i can

Rasa1111
October 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
How is it?~ Amazing!

Bugs~ Currently non-existent here.
(and been that way for the last week or two) :)

Definitely better than the previous versions.

Well, to be fair, Ive only used 9.10, 10.04, and now 10.10..

But,
9.10 worked great for me, except that it would sometimes freeze up, and would not recover at all until I forced a reboot.

10.04, worked even better for me than 9.10, except that my graphics card had some issues (same issues as everyone with the old dells).
And as great as it worked, there were just a few minor things that would not work.
And my graphics issue was never fully ironed out, no matter what i did.
But for the most part, it was almost perfect. lol

10.10~ Not a single issue with anything!
(on an 8 year old dell dimension 2350)

I honestly cannot even think of one thing right now that is not exactly as it should be~ not a bug, not a glitch, nothing but pure awesomeness! lol

I am really amazed, very impressed, and super happy!!

The Devs. are freekin' amazing! <3

sanderd17
October 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
10.10 is not a big change to 10.04 for me. Everything worked out of the box in 10.04 and now again. This is a different story than the 9.xx releases or earlier. Maybe it's because my hardware is aging so there are better drivers for it.

anyway, 10.10 gives me no bugs (although I've seen bugs about switching keyboard layout) but it's not a big change compared to the 9.10->10.04 step. The change that interests me the most is the good software center. Although I always use aptitude, the new software center is a big + for people who just arrive at ubuntu.

beew
October 11th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Comparing to Lucid, smarter look, a faster and improved installation process(which is already very good in Lucid). Everything works out of the box at least on the laptop I have tested it on. Like Lucid it is very smooth.

But after all the praises I am not sure Maverick is that different from Lucid.I will be interested if someone can tell me any fundamentally new feature and enhancement in Maverick.

Since the differences seem to be very minor, for me it wouldn't worth the troubles and risks of upgrading. Another reason against upgrading is that I use PPAs for most of my apps and some only support LTR. I am keeping Lucid as my main OS but will have Maverick on an external hard disk.

P.S.
I had to reinstall twice but it was my own damn fault that I broke the system.

oedipuss
October 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
The installer was absolutely perfect :O

It's really a bit too soon to say if there are any bugs, but it seems promising so far.
Nice wallpaper, not perfect but it can stay for a while, the theme finally looks good enough, and the new font is just amazing. It's the first time I've stayed with the default font, even if I reduced it's size a little bit.
On that note, has something changed with font smoothing? It seems nicer overall, though that could well be my imagination.

The most obvious change for me is the software center. It takes a little bit getting used to, after synaptic, so mixed feelings so far. It was there before, yes, but it feels more mandatory now.

As for speed, well I hadn't any complaints about desktop lucid either, so I can't say I see a difference. Trying it on a netbook next, where lucid netbook remix booted fast but was horribly slow everywhere else. Also, I'm curious about unity, despite some very negative comments.

EDIT: Turns out unity is kind of disappointing. Died on me on the first 10 minutes, and locked up for several minutes when I tried to search for applications (which is the only apparent way to run something not on the dock). It's on a pretty low end netbook, just 512mb ram , but slow and too slow to use is a valid distinction still... Maybe it's a first use thing, building indexes and such, and it'll speed up, though..

TheNerdAL
October 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I love it. I think it is the perfect 10 so far. I can't wait for 11.04!

The only bugs I have is from Google Chrome because I test the unstable versions. :)

cloyd
October 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I installed it last night on my home machine. The installer threw me a bit . . . kept making me think it might use the whole drive when I wanted to keep my old Vista partition. Eventually, I used the advanced options, and I'll probably be glad I did. The only thing is, grub menu got one thing backwards. If I try to boot to Vista, I get the restore option. If I try to boot to the Vista restore option, I get the regular vista! Go figure? Since Vista is emergency only for me now, it is not much of a problem since no one but me uses the machine.

When I get home tonight, I'll probably work on it a bit. We'll see how it works. I had no problems setting up compiz last night. Audio and video worked. Processor did not overheat. So far, so good.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Processor did not overheat. So far, so good.
That's a big one lol.

It seems a little faster than 10.04 and I like the default background a lot--which surprised me because I am one of the vocal haters of the default 10.04 wallpaper!

fatality_uk
October 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Few bugs. managed to get em sorted. Looking good so far.

WRDN
October 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I haven't installed it yet, but have tried it in a live environment, booting from the LiveCD.

I didn't notice any major differences from 10.04 in the short time I used it (~2 hours). The new font is very swish, and it seems fast and stable.
Further, I tried gnome-shell which worked wonderfully - this was not the case in 10.04 for me.

One bug (or feature?) I noticed was that, if you configured the OS to list the users on the logon screen (as occurs in 10.04), it would still display a box to enter the username when you logged out.
This may have been due to the fact there was only 1 accessible user account on the machine (the default live environment account, "ubuntu"), it seems rather odd behaviour though.

lancest
October 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Faster USB performance.

Frogs Hair
October 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM
This the smoothest of three Ubuntu installations to date. I think it's a great extension of 10.04 .

undecim
October 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM
My Elantech touchpad gets treated like a real touchpad now, so I'm happy with it.

scouser73
October 11th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I agree with Lancest, there does seem to be an overall faster USB performance. It's the 'Perfect 10' for me.

_outlawed_
October 12th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Also notice with Maverick, my laptop runs alot cooler than it did on Karmic or Lucid.

giddyup306
October 12th, 2010, 04:04 AM
It's gurrreeeaaattt! Haven't found a flaw yet on my laptop, and it fixed the wireless issue on it! I somehow lost the wireless on my desktop, but it was still the beta version as of today, after a 1 MB upgrade it came back. Now the only thing I found to be a bug on the desktop is that when I go to something like places -> computer is tries to open all the files in VLC! Doesn't do that on the laptop tho...

MasterNetra
October 12th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I dunno if this was the case with 10.04 but you can now mount CD/DVD images by Right-Clicking and selecting Open with Archive Mounter. This is with .iso's at least dunno how others fair.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 12th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I dunno if this was the case with 10.04 but you can now mount CD/DVD images by Right-Clicking and selecting Open with Archive Mounter. This is with .iso's at least dunno how others fair.

Interesting. I don't know that I've ever used a cd to install anything in Ubuntu (beside the OS itself) but it's still a cool feature that some other Operating Systems don't have.

JoyousDeath
October 12th, 2010, 04:37 AM
10.10 is doing great for me. The 10.04 had terrible sound problems for my computer which is fixed now with the latest release. Though compiz still has to be removed to keep the compy from freezing it's an okay sacrifice since I don't really care about how good something looks as long as it has less bugs.\\:D/

Khakilang
October 12th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I have install in one of my hard disk without any issue. But than again I am not a heavy user. By the way Lucid is still good to me.

reptilezone2002
October 12th, 2010, 06:33 AM
well i installed it last night installation was good one bug is if u put the time & user date before it prompt i cannot get in it says authentication failed & no need to install usb switch for 3G dongles it detect mine perfectly & another thing i dont like is the net application centre i needed to install Limewire in 10.04 the additional packages was downloaded automatically but in 10.10 it wont do that i have to manually find the dependencies & install its a bit annoying but those r the only disliking i found so far its a bit fast i give 98% out of 100% Its GOOD

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
After using it for a bit, I decided that I liked 10.04 better. I can't give a reason specifically, except one, which is one of my favorite themes is rendered better in 10.04. Otherwise I just prefer the feel of 10.04 for reasons I can't really explain.

Giant Speck
October 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Meh. Most of the changes I notice are cosmetic. The new themes are nice, though. The default wallpaper is kind of meh, though.

The only hiccup I've experienced so far is that it installed the IceTea Java plugin instead of the Oracle one, which caused temporary havoc in Firefox.

Oh, and Software Center actually works. I was never able to get it to work properly in Lucid.

_outlawed_
October 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Oh, and Software Center actually works. I was never able to get it to work properly in Lucid.

Indeed, it doesn't lag like hell anymore and I can actually install/uninstall multiple items at once without it bugging out on me. :popcorn:

TBABill
October 12th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Works flawlessly for me:

1. Upgrade worked like a charm from 10.04 to 10.10
2. I can close the lid of my Dell laptop and it comes back from suspend nicely
3. Runs as fast as 10.04

I just like it. Seems a tad bit more polished than 10.04 to me and the new fonts are nice.

bug67
October 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
The perfect 10

10/10/10 @ 10:10:10

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/bug67/Miscellaneous/10s.jpg

I was at work and not playing with the new meerkat. I'm reserving that pleasure for my next off work episode.

Some job, eh? I get to sit around waiting for the second hand to reach the 10 second mark so I can take a screenshot! :lol:

I am really hoping the Meerkat fixes some problems this time that have kept me stuck on the Koala. Lucid was a no go for me from day one. :(

Patiently waiting for 11/11/11 @ 11:11:11

rg4w
October 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
So far it's the smoothest upgrade I've had. Installed on my netbook easily and runs really nice.

Now to do the Dell laptop...

Lisimelis
October 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Probably the best installation i've done so far!!!! I did not care really much for the netbook version so I just installed the regular one on my Asus AspireOne and now I am a really happy guy!!! Plus today in the streets of Kalamaria in Thessaloniki Greece I saw a guy with an Ubuntu briefcase on a bike!! I have the logo on my car and i am really happy to see other people promoting Ubuntu!!!

mattlach
October 12th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'm liking Ubuntu 10-10 a lot actually. The biggest improvement over 10-04 - IMHO - is the installer. Other operating systems and programs could learn from this installer. They are doing what I have complained about and asked for since my first Windows 95 install in the mid 90s.

As soon as you fire up the installer the first question is where you want to install Ubuntu. Once you have told it this information, it immediately starts copying files and downloading updates from the internet at the same time as you are filling in the other info (computer name, time zone, keyboard settings, user name and password, etc.). it's making great use of your time during the install, and I love it.

My only gripe with 10-10 thus far is that the maximize, minimize and close buttons are still on the wrong side of the window, just like in 10-04. I know this is easily fixed with gconf-editor but it still befuddles me why the developers would do something so idiotic.

The buttons have always been on the right, and this is what everyone is used to. The only OS that I am aware of that violates this standard is OSX, and I certainly hope Uuntu is not trying to become an OSX clone.

I've even spoken to people who have tried Ubuntu and uninstalled it because they hated that the buttons were on the wrong side, no knowing that they could move them.

The buttons being on the left by default do Ubuntu a huge disservice, and I'm hoping the dev team realize their mistake and fix it in the next release.

Oxwivi
October 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Loving the 10s, but it's not as perfect as I hoped to be. I can't sign in Ubuntu One, but that aside, everything's good. Oh, and there's another annoying 'papercut' bug that requires you to reboot the PC or (I think think) the nm-applet for the VPN connection I added to show up on the list.

DarkLilith
October 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I installed it last night as my only OS (so sick of Vista, and I was having issues with 9.1) and so far it's been great! It has a nice look and so far haven't found any bugs, though when we loaded it on my b/f's computer it went a little screwy when he installed the driver for his Nvidia video card, so we just re-installed and left that alone for now! Otherwise, it's been great, and very fast compared to what I'm used to with Vista and 9.1!

Oh, also didn't have any issues setting up my wireless, which I had a ton of trouble with in 9.1.

Canis familiaris
October 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Ubuntu 10.10 has been a great release for me so far. The upgrade from Lucid was smooth and I was surprised with the lack of problems.

Grenage
October 12th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I love the new default font (Ubuntu).

ikt
October 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I was expecting it to be packed full of test features and software that didn't make the cut for 10.04, but it seems like they're pulling out any software they're not 100% with in the betas and then continuing on next cycle, so it seems like a maturing of the development release cycle, which is good to see, but means I have to use the alphas and betas more :D

Ric_NYC
October 12th, 2010, 05:12 PM
"World of Goo" is not working properly after the latest updates.

Ric_NYC
October 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM
i love the new default font (ubuntu).

+1