PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install multiple desktop environments through DVD iso

Sonadow
October 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'll try to keep my question as direct and to the point as possible:

Does the Ubuntu DVD iso come with packages for alternative desktop environments? IOW, does the Ubuntu DVD have the files and packages needed to install another DE (eg: KDE) during the initial installation process?

This is because I usually run a huge mixture of QT and GTK apps concurrently. In many other distros like Debian, OpenSUSE and Fedora, the DVD installer disc will provide an option to select the desktop environment you want to install. And in my case, my usage patterns requires that both KDE and GNOME be installed, at the very minimum.

And i am not fond of downloading a huge chunk of packages from the internet just to install a DE, which is why I have always opted for DVD isos which supposedly come with everything.

So back to my original question: does the Ubuntu DVD iso come with packages needed for a KDE install, or will I have to waste even more time downloading both Kubuntu and Ubuntu isos in order to set up a multi-DE OS?