PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Problem with installing Ubuntu on old Old OLD laptop

Andy45
October 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I got an old old computer and I have been trying to fix it for a year almost.:confused: I am trying to do it for free so I checked out Ubuntu (and all the other*buntus:)) and made a pendrive w/universal linux pendrive (is that what it's called?). When I set up my BIOS to boot from removable devices first and plugged in the pendrive, it brought up the boot detector but said it didn't get anything. It did that with all the linux distros i tried.

P.S. The Computer always has a mouse pluged into the USB as well.
P.S.P.S. The computer is an HP ze4400 with 190 MB of RAM and a broken touchpad.:(

Thanks

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Have you tried burning the iso to cd/dvd instead?

pricetech
October 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Give us specs that matter, such as processor type and speed as well as hard drive size, etc.

Try another distro, like Puppy or DSL, specifically for older, less capable hardware.

celticbhoy
October 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Check & see whether the bios sees the pendrive as a hard disk.

Look in boot order in the bios settings, if the pendrive is listed, make it the first boot from device.

danbuter
October 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Ubuntu won't run on 190 MB RAM. Try Puppy.

celticbhoy
October 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Ubuntu won't run on 190 MB RAM. Try Puppy.
True, but Xubuntu, or Lubuntu might.

Andy45
October 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
OK, I'll Try Xubuntu. Oh, and hard drive has 5-10 GB space (can't remember exactly), Processor is AMD Athlon XP, OS is Win XP Home Edition, Made in China, and the exact model is ze4420us. Whew! :rolleyes: Anything else?

Andy45
October 11th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Have you tried burning the iso to cd/dvd instead?
Will try.

cascade9
October 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Xubuntu might install, but with 190MB of RAM its borderline

Minimum system requirements

You need 192 MB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte) RAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM) to run the Live CD or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install time.

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

I've run xubuntu on 192MB, and its like pulling teeth- slow, and painful. Lubuntu might be better, but IMO you would be much better of going to a 'lighter' distro, or upgrading your RAM.

If you really want to run xubuntu, use the 'alternate install' CD, not the standard xubuntu installer.

Andy45
October 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Xubuntu might install, but with 190MB of RAM its borderline

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

I've run xubuntu on 192MB, and its like pulling teeth- slow, and painful. Lubuntu might be better, but IMO you would be much better of going to a 'lighter' distro, or upgrading your RAM.

If you really want to run xubuntu, use the 'alternate install' CD, not the standard xubuntu installer.

I am trying alternate install. I'm waiting for my sister to finish using the computer with a burner so I can burn he iso. Oh, and would xubuntu on 190 MB (alternate) be faster than Win XP on the same RAM?

celticbhoy
October 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
To be honest, everything will be slow on it. I use a V V old compaq laptop with 128MB ram and Lubuntu 9.10 as a print server. It works, but as said it is slow.

XP will not be any quicker.

Puppy and such will seem a little quicker, but it is really all about the apps you use, and what you expect to be able to achieve with it.

Jerry N
October 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I am trying alternate install. I'm waiting for my sister to finish using the computer with a burner so I can burn he iso. Oh, and would xubuntu on 190 MB (alternate) be faster than Win XP on the same RAM?

Win2000 works quite well with that much RAM but I would think that XP would be a real slug, along with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu. Maybe Lubuntu or Mint 9 LXDE or Fluxbox? Puppy 5.1 should do OK.

Jerry

Andy45
October 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM
:guitar::KS Hey, Thanks for your help! I've finally gotten the install. I'll tell you how it went when it finishes.

Thanks

Andy45

P.S. The CD trick worked.

zerin
October 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
lol CD trick. yeah it always works best for old hardware. Even if it supports usb boot due to the fact that it will probably be 1.1 USB and very slow to load OS on it. Cd much faster, but like others mentioned, Xubuntu might be slow on older laptop. "might" only you can tell. But i would recommend Puppy too. Just like others mentioned, try this one out if you don't like Xubuntu. http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

cascade9
October 12th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Depends.

XP SP3 + full, scanning antivirus + lots of install programs vs a (very) minimal xubuntu, xubuntu would be faster.

nLited XP SP3 with no antivirus + minimal install programs vs mimimal xubuntu with lots of stuff added, to the point where its more like 'full' xubuntu than a minimal install.....XP would be a bit quicker.