PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard shortcut for 'Workspaces' button?

weeix
October 11th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I'm trying the new 10.10-netbook and found a purple 'Workspaces' button in the sidebar. When pressed, it'll show every windows displaying in all 4 workspaces. I very very LOVE this button.

I'd like to know if there is any keyboard shortcut for this. :)

Note: Why couldn't I print screen while using this button. I have to use GIMP to do it instead. Is this normal?

rinaldow
October 13th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I appreciate this option very much as well!
Anyone?

kerry_s
October 13th, 2010, 11:21 PM
look under keyboard shortcuts & see what's set.

Hariama
October 17th, 2010, 09:02 AM
look under keyboard shortcuts & see what's set.

With the chance of looking really stupid, I've searched in the shortcuts menu, but I still can't find the option to set keys for the 'show all workspaces'. Any help? :p

Windowsbites
October 17th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty new to all of this as well, but I'm fairly certain that the Windows logo (super) key + a will pull show every window you have open in every workspace. you can also use ctrl+alt+left or right arrow to navigate between workspaces. hope this helps. and if that doesn't work you may need to play around with your workspace options. and as far as keyboard shortcuts go just google "Ubuntu shortcut keys" there are plenty of sources out there to learn additional shortcuts you didn't even know existed.

also I forgot this til just now but hitting ctrl+alt+down will bring up a smaller version of each workspace side by side (this only works for horizontal workspaces) and lets you move left or right with the arrow keys as long as you keep holding ctrl+alt. whichever workspace you're on when you release the ctrl and alt keys will become the new focused focused workspace

kerry_s
October 17th, 2010, 10:39 AM
:lolflag: yeah, that would work if we were using gnome with compiz, but were not.

Hariama, i've tried every combination i can think of & nothing, i don't think they done shortcuts other then the super key, which i turned off.

the super key puts numbers for shortcuts, but it all depends on how many icons you have in the dock, for example, i can use super+0, but i use the super key for other shortcuts so i disable it in gconf-editor.

ekcutvncmskslcdlcfjt
October 17th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm not using compiz but Ctr+Alt+Arrow works for me to switch between workspaces.

Ubuntu-10.10-netbook in desktop mode.

kerry_s
October 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I'm not using compiz but Ctr+Alt+Arrow works for me to switch between workspaces.

Ubuntu-10.10-netbook in desktop mode.

yeah that works standard like alt+tab, but were looking for the key shortcut for the expose like the icon does.

see pics

alexrb
October 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM
any ideas? looking for answer the same question.

mainakuni
October 31st, 2010, 11:35 AM
i have ubuntu 10.10 netbook.........
if u press the windows (super) key then u will get the numbers of the applications in the launcher.......
now according to the number u have to press that key along with the corresponding number..........
for example.......if u have firefox in no.1 then u will have to press the windows logo key+1 and the expose effect will occur for firefox....... and likewise the others........windows+2..........windows+3........ .windows+4............and so on
hope this will save ur time.........:)

ProfBib
January 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
i have ubuntu 10.10 netbook.........
if u press the windows (super) key then u will get the numbers of the applications in the launcher.......
now according to the number u have to press that key along with the corresponding number..........
for example.......if u have firefox in no.1 then u will have to press the windows logo key+1 and the expose effect will occur for firefox....... and likewise the others........windows+2..........windows+3........ .windows+4............and so on
hope this will save ur time.........:)
The super+[number] key combination works for me to start applications, but not to bring up the workspaces overview. For example, if I click on super+1, Firefox starts up. However, if I click on super+7 (the combination for Workspaces), nothing happens. Any thoughts?

Snipe07
January 22nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
*bump* It would be awesome to have a shortcut for this!

epohs
January 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Is there a terminal command that will accomplish this? If so, we can create a custom keyboard shortcut for this.

It would be really handy.

DanielBuus
February 6th, 2011, 01:45 PM
*bumpetybumpetybump*

This is intensely frustrating that we can't get it as a shortcut. The mutter show workspaces function is extremely cool, it's like present windows on steroids. You can click on any window on any workspace to go there directly, and you can drag windows between workspaces.

I NEED THIS AS SUPER+TAB!!! :D

Can't find anything in ~/.gconf/desktop/unity/launcher/ where the other, pinned, icons appear. I'm 99% this is just some system call, DBUS or whatever, it should be trivial to do once we know what the call is. :'(

liyang8968
May 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Win botton (between left ctrl and alt) + S