PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question on installing

danielgrosvenor
October 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi guys

I'm really enjoying Ubuntu so far, and am impressed by how user-friendly a great deal of it is.

One thing I am having trouble with, however, is installing things that I've downloaded from the web. For example, this Compiz-Indicator from Gnome-Look (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/compiz-indicator-applet-gives-you-compositing-control-in-a-click/). I downloaded and extracted it to my desktop, but am not sure what to do next. The guide says to type

chmod +x install.sh
./install.sh
into Terminal which, as I had kinda guessed, doesn't work on its own as presumably I need to specify the file's location first.

My question is, er, how do I do that?? (And is there not a way to simply double-click on the install.sh or whatever file, after setting its permissions to Extractable, and avoid the Terminal all together? This was my first approach, but again nothing happened.)

ibizatunes
October 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM
cd ~/Downloads

cd = change directory ~ =home / =location

so it means cd to home in folder Downloads

then try your chmod etc

danielgrosvenor
October 11th, 2010, 02:23 PM
So I should type cd ~/Desktop/(containing folder) into Terminal before any other commands?

Bölvağur
October 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM
is there not a way to simply double-click on the install.sh or whatever file, after setting its permissions to Extractable, and avoid the Terminal all together?
Right click on the file, click Properties and then Permissions, mark the "Allow execut.. as a program", click ok. Double click.

also you could have just claimed the whole path for the file
chmod +x ~/Desktop/install.sh

danielgrosvenor
October 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM
also you could have just claimed the whole path for the file
chmod +x ~/Desktop/install.sh

I have multiple install.sh files (in different folders) on the desktop. Will typing that install them all at once, or just risk creating problems/confusion?

sandyd
October 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have multiple install.sh files (in different folders) on the desktop. Will typing that install them all at once, or just risk creating problems/confusion?
no, that just makes the script executable. You must do that for each of the install scripts

So, if the folder on the desktop is called "1", then

chmod -x ~/Desktop/1/install.sh
you will have to browse to the folder (inside of it) before you can run the install script.

/bin/bash ~/Desktop/1/install.sh

oldos2er
October 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I have multiple install.sh files (in different folders) on the desktop.

Can you post the output of ls ~/Desktop ?