PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Help with Ubuntu 10.10

abhjos
October 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hello Friends,

The new Ubuntu 10.10 is out and I would like to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.10. When I go to my Update Manager I cannot find 10.10 for Upgrade, how can I update to the new and latest version, please help me out with this regards.

Thank you,
abhay

lechien73
October 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Try going to System > Administration > Update Manager. Click on Settings, and under the Release Upgrade heading, make sure that it is set to Normal releases, rather than Long term support releases only.

When you have changed this, close the Settings window and click the Check button again. You should now be prompted for the upgrade.

On one of my machines Update Manager didn't show the available upgrade so, after confirming the above settings, I opened a terminal window and typed:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

This worked fine also.

abhjos
October 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
great, so I will the get the complete software withoug any Bugs and full support from Ubuntu right.

abhjos
October 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Any more help please. how is the new 10.10 heard that there are lots of Bugs and system is freezing also.

lechien73
October 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Well...you'll get the complete upgrade to 10.10, performed the recommended way.

Bugs may become evident, depending on what other packages you have installed. The cleanest way would be to back up your home folder and installed package lists, and then do a completely clean install. Even then, there are no guarantees as to bug-free operation. These forums probably wouldn't exist if there were no bugs ;)

As for support, if you mean updates and so on, then yes. Otherwise, technical support is available from the usual places: http://www.ubuntu.com/support

abhjos
October 11th, 2010, 05:02 PM
If I install this way will I get the regular updates?