PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WiFi stopped working entirely (Intel 5300 AGN)

Graxer
October 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Since I originally started using Ubuntu (10.04) I have had problems with my wireless card. Now I have updated to 10.10 and it has stopped working entirely.

I am using a "Dell Vostro 1520" with an "Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN" wireless card.

Here are the details:

In this distribution version, if I had the wireless switch on my laptop activated at startup my wireless card would refuse to activate. There is a light to show when it is activated and this was off, but I checked anyway and wireless capabilities don't work when it is in this state. It didn't even resolve the problem when I switched it off and on again (although this caused the wireless indicator to blink on for less than a second when switched on).

This was manageable because I found two workarounds:

1. Wait until my laptop had logged into Ubuntu, then activate the wireless card which would start and work as it should.

2. If I had already logged into Ubuntu I could put my computer on standby, switch off the card, come out of standby and reactivate the card while Ubuntu was running.

As I said, this was completely manageable, and I got used to it.

Now that I have upgraded to 10.10 all workarounds fail, I can't use a wireless connection in Ubuntu, as my card won't activate, I cant even get the light to blink as I could before. The only way I can use WiFi is by switching to Windows. :(

Please could someone help, as I tend to use Ubuntu for my university programming work.

chili555
October 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Please boot into Ubuntu with the wireless switch on. Open a terminal and do:
sudo rmmod -f dell-laptopThe module dell-laptop has been problematical for some time. I am not sure it's the issue in 10.10; I do have one laptop converted (successfully!) to 10.10, but it's not a Dell.

If it works correctly, you can blacklist the module permanently:
sudo su
echo "blacklist dell-laptop" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
exitProofread carefully before you press 'Enter.'

Please post back so the searchers will learn the outcome.

Graxer
October 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much! I am not currently within range of a WiFi network, but that has allowed me to switch the WiFi light on and off with the switch like I should be able to. If I have any further problems I will say, but it appears that the problem has been solved.

Thanks again! :P

Jim_in_Omaha
October 14th, 2010, 02:12 AM
sudo rmmod -f dell-laptopThe module dell-laptop has been problematical for some time. I am not sure it's the issue in 10.10; I do have one laptop converted (successfully!) to 10.10, but it's not a Dell.

sudo su

This fixed my problem getting the BCM4312 on my Dell 11z. It would fail when trying to install/enable the restricted drivers for the BM43. Simply adding 'blacklist dell-laptop' to the end of the blacklist.conf file worked in my case.

coldbluesteel
October 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Is there a fix for the Lenovo T61 running the Intel 4965AG wifi?

I'm still having this issue.

chili555
October 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Is there a fix for the Lenovo T61 running the Intel 4965AG wifi?

I'm still having this issue.Since this thread refers to dell-laptop, please start a new thread. Include the results of these terminal commands:
rfkill list all
dmesg | grep iwlPM me if I don't catch it quickly.

thiagocolebrusco
February 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM

sudo su

Thank you very much for this message.

This helped me to solve my problem too.

candinux
July 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM
I am using Dell vostro 1320. I followed the instructions given in this thread for my Ubuntu 11.04 but it din't worked for me.. Let me know if I have done something wrong and/or if you need any particular information about the system/driver etc.

chili555
July 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
I am using Dell vostro 1320. I followed the instructions given in this thread for my Ubuntu 11.04 but it din't worked for me.. Let me know if I have done something wrong and/or if you need any particular information about the system/driver etc.Please post:
dmesg | grep iwl
cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf | grep dell
lsmod | grep dell
rfkill list allThanks.