PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] torrent seeding problem

florus
October 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I have downloaded the 10.10 i386 iso using Transmission. I left the torrent with a ratio of only 0.65 as I had other commitments, and when I later tried to use my iso to seed the torrent, Transmission gave the error message "couldn't add corrupt torrent". The md5sum is correct, so what have I done wrong?:confused:

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Have you moved the ISO file using Nautilus?

Have you tried to re-check the torrent from Transmission torent options?

florus
October 11th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Have you moved the ISO file using Nautilus? No, it is in Downloads.

Have you tried to re-check the torrent from Transmission torent options?
There is no torrent in Transmission, so I have no options available. I presume I am wrong in just trying to launch my file in Transmission. Do I need to relaunch the torrent from the Ubuntu site? and if so will the ISO download again which would defeat the purpose of the exercise?

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2010, 03:48 PM
There is no torrent in Transmission, so I have no options available. I presume I am wrong in just trying to launch my file in Transmission.

You can't do that. You need to load the torrent file in Transmission, not the downloaded ISO.

Do I need to relaunch the torrent from the Ubuntu site?

Yes.

and if so will the ISO download again which would defeat the purpose of the exercise?

No, Transmission will detect that the ISO file exists and will re-check it. Once re-checked, the torrent will be listed as 100% and the seeding will begin.

Next time don't delete the torrent file and don't move the downloaded ISO if you plan to seed it.

florus
October 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks, lovinglinux, it all makes sense now. I have not used torrents before, and have a great aptitude for trying to do things the wrong way.:(

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks, lovinglinux, it all makes sense now. I have not used torrents before, and have a great aptitude for trying to do things the wrong way.:(

See my tutorial BitTorrent optimization and troubleshooting guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259923). It explains how BitTorrent works, among other things.