PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] CD Shipping Stupidity

Vasko1218
October 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hi, now, I requested one Ubuntu CD. Today, as I try to check the status of my order I get a message that I have already purchased CDs and that my request is denied. I HAVE NEVER PURCHASED ANY CD! Now, is there someone who can help me?

migs73
October 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I would think that if you have requested a CD, you will not be able to request another, they are free after all. Once you have it you can copy it, or use it on as many machines as you like so why need more than one? As tomit saying you have PURCHSED one already, it is probably standard text as there are Discs you can buy from them.

Vasko1218
October 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I have never purchased any CD. Now I purchase only ONE CD. And I receive that my request is denied, because I have purchased CDs in the past.

migs73
October 11th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Looking at your other threads, you requested the CD a few days ago. As you know the delivery time is 6-10 weeks. I do not know if there is an order tracking available for this free service.
If you access the web site, there may (I am only guessing) be a system in place to prevent you ordering more than one free disc, therefore your request is denied.
Maybe the reason that it says you have PURCHASED a CD is that it is a standard automated response in all these requests whether the CD was given free or was actually purchased.
Even if the website thinks you have purchased it, but you recieve the disc, it makes no difference as you won't pay for it.

EDIT; I have just checked the website and it does state you can only order one for free, and would require special permission for differnet quantities.

Vasko1218
October 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Weel, here I am talking about the same CD as in the other thread.

fatality_uk
October 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Are you talking about the shipit CD request facility? This is limited and rightly, Canonical limit those free CD's. IO am sure you can always purchase a CD but free shipit CD are limited.

anewguy
October 12th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Are you in the U.S. or in another country?

If the U.S., I could just mail you a copy of the 10.10 desktop disk.

Dave ;)

fatality_uk
October 12th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Dave ;)

And likewise, if you are in the UK I can mail you a copy of the 10.10 CD.

philinux
October 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hi, now, I requested one Ubuntu CD. Today, as I try to check the status of my order I get a message that I have already purchased CDs and that my request is denied. I HAVE NEVER PURCHASED ANY CD! Now, is there someone who can help me?

Contact them using their website.

http://www.ubuntu.com/contact-us

migs73
October 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Dave ;)

Dave,
I believe the OP has already ordered a CD (free via shipit). He was trying to track the order and recieved a puzzling message about having already purchased one.

anewguy
October 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Dave,
I believe the OP has already ordered a CD (free via shipit). He was trying to track the order and recieved a puzzling message about having already purchased one.

Ahh....I was trying to figure that out, and unfortunately I thought they meant they were unable to ever order a CD. Now I understand, due to the quantity limits and what is probably a "canned" message.

To the OP:

The offer still stands for a disk if needed, but you'll probably just have to be patient and wait the time it takes (I think it's normally 6 to 8 weeks). Might seem like a long time to wait, but (a) it's free, (b) you'll have time to watch for any problems that may affect you and your hardware and (c) see (a).

Have a good one!
Dave ;)

scrooge_74
October 12th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Why not just download the iso and burn a couple is not like CDs are expensive now days. If are prepare to wait weeks for the CD even on a slow conection you'll get the CD faster

migs73
October 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Why not just download the iso and burn a couple is not like CDs are expensive now days. If are prepare to wait weeks for the CD even on a slow conection you'll get the CD faster
The OP (kind of) explains this in his other thread;

Quote;
Hi,

Now, there are many reasons why I decided to request a CD of Ubuntu, instead of downloading it.

pricetech
October 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Add me to the list of people who will be glad to burn a CD if he / she is reasonably close by.

anewguy
October 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Please read the thread before posting things like this. If you had read it, you would know there are multiple reasons why this is not a good idea for the OP.

migs73
October 12th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Please read the thread before posting things like this. If you had read it, you would know there are multiple reasons why this is not a good idea for the OP.
Dave
Cut scrooge a little slack, the quote is from the OP's OTHER thread. I don't know what the reasons are.

BTW I miss your Amoeba avatar. Mr GL and his lawyers are Scrooges!!!:P

Mike

scrooge_74
October 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM

And how Im suppose to "read it" since there is no link now in this thread, in fact someone should point to the OP that making several threads about the same carries infractions.

So what you suggest that I do? Go around the forum looking for his other posts? To please you?

EDIT: I took the time to go find the "other thread" and I couldnt find the reasons given for not downloading an iso. I wonder......

anewguy
October 13th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Dave
Cut scrooge a little slack, the quote is from the OP's OTHER thread. I don't know what the reasons are.

BTW I miss your Amoeba avatar. Mr GL and his lawyers are Scrooges!!!:P

Mike

Yeah, it totally ruined the FS for me, and it really used to give me a fun outlook at things.

scrooge: I'll do as Mike says and cut you some slack. I know I remember - and perhaps it was in another of the threads - that the OP had bandwidth problems. Maybe it's just me, but your " is not like CDs are expensive now days" remark seems a little out of place. Why? Some people really don't have the extra money to buy them. I'm on Social Security Disability, which means a very limited income, and I have to plan a month or 2 in advance before I can do something like purchase a spindle of CDs or DVDs. Right now I personally have enough to spare 1 and enough money left to mail it if it was the U.S.. So, forgive me if I offended you.

Dave ;)

scrooge_74
October 13th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Hey I hardly get offended, CDs cost like $1 or if there is a USB at hand can use it.

Didnt saw the bandwith problem post, it got erase or move or something, hey I downloaded my first Debian CD on a humble 64K conection took ages :D

Sorry to hear you are having financial problems at present is not like I never had them..

anewguy
October 13th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Hey I hardly get offended, CDs cost like $1 or if there is a USB at hand can use it.

Didnt saw the bandwith problem post, it got erase or move or something, hey I downloaded my first Debian CD on a humble 64K conection took ages :D

Sorry to hear you are having financial problems at present is not like I never had them..

Thanks, man! Have a good one!

Dave ;)