PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GNOME Shell Installation on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick

wersdaluv
October 11th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Let this be the thread for GNOME Shell Installation stuff on Maverick. I update this first post whenever there's something noteworthy about the subject.

This thread is only for discussing GNOME Shell installation on Maverick.

See the GNOME Shell Testing thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476241) on Meerkat Testing and Discussion forum for your reference.

Installing GNOME Shell from the Ubuntu Repository

An easy way of installing GNOME Shell is by using the version in the repository. However, this is relatively outdated. To do this, simply install the gnome-shell package from the Ubuntu Software Center.

Installing GNOME Shell from Source

The following steps are expected to work when there's no existing ~/gnome-shell folder

Remove La Files (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/RemovingLaFiles)
Install Dependencies

sudo apt-get install curl libtiff4-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libcroco3-dev xulrunner-dev mesa-utils mesa-common-dev libreadline5-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libwnck-dev librsvg2-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-menu-dev libffi-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev gtk-doc-tools gnome-common git-core flex bison automake build-essential icon-naming-utils autopoint libvorbis-dev libpam-dev libgcrypt-dev libtasn1-dev libtasn1-3-bin libgnome-keyring-dev libupower-glib-dev libxklavier16 libxklavier-dev xserver-xephyr python-dev libpulse-dev libjasper-dev jhbuild libgtop2-dev libsqlite3-dev libproxy-dev libdb-dev libproxy-dev libcups2-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev gperf
Build from Source (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/#Building)

Running GNOME Shell

If you built it from source, follow these instructions (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#Running)

If you installed it from a repository, just run
gnome-shell --replace

Riffer
October 11th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I really like Gnome Shell but a few things are just driving me up the wall. For one can you (and how do you) change the side panel (?) in the Activity window? I would like to add things to the app list (add system apps). It also would be nice to have a Favorite section to the side panel to save a couple of clicks.

I also find it frustrating that while in the Activity window that I can't open a new desktop(?) and select it to open a new app, without it going to full size and I have to go back to the Activity window to add the app.

Is there some way or plans afoot to have tabs or some sort of indicator on the top panel for whats in the different desktops and to be able to click that tab to switch. Yes I know there are keyboard shortcuts to switch windows but it would be nice to see what are in the other windows.

Sorry if I didn't get the terminology correct. And if these issues have been discussed before I can't find it, I've googled for hours. I really do like the new interface. It seems to me to be very intuitive (to me anyway) and I suspect as it becomes mature and others start to add to it this shell will become awesome.

omskates
October 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Wersdaluv, Thanks for the tutorial but if I want to just try the snapshot can I not just add the repo
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ricotz/staging/ubuntu maverick main
and

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

and

gnome-shell --replace

then change it as my default WM in /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager ??

So if I were to rather follow your build tutorial instead I'll have Gnome Shell permanently which will update with development, am I correct? Thanks in advance:)

omskates
October 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
After executing
/bin/bash gnome-shell-build-setup.sh I have Success in installing jhbuild and writing ~/.jhbuildrc but Terminal says "PATH does not contain /home/****/bin" (where **** is my username), "it is recommended that you add that." Should I move ~/.jhbuildrc to that home path?

After executing
jhbuild build Terminal complained that I needed to install jhbuild first LOL :) So installed that and continued with the build process.

Error during phase build of gtk3 so will try to rebuild later.

omskates
October 14th, 2010, 12:20 PM
OK, so I went ahead and opened another terminal and did a
jhbuild build gtk3 which succeeded. Returning to the original terminal I chose to ignore the Error and continue. The build was successful and I have Gnome Shell running:):)

f_padia
October 14th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Ok i've been trying to follow the instructions in post #1 and it kept coming up with errors at a couple of stages, so I tried ignoring the errors and 'giving up on module'. But then the Install step wouldnt work.

So then I tried the jhbuild build gtk3 step suggested above and I still get an error:

/usr/bin/ld: BFD (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.20.51-system.20100908 internal error, aborting at ../../bfd/merge.c line 876 in _bfd_merged_section_offset

/usr/bin/ld: Please report this bug.

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [libgdk-x11-3.0.la] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/faheem/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gdk'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/faheem/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gdk'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/faheem/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gdk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/faheem/gnome-shell/source/gtk3'
make: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error during phase build of gtk3: ########## Error running make *** [8/8]
any ideas? :(

f_padia
October 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
ok tried running jhbuild build gtk3 again and it worked!

now i try to run make install and that fails!

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/faheem/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src'
GEN stamp-st-marshal.h
/bin/bash: line 2: --prefix=_st_marshal: command not found
make[1]: *** [stamp-st-marshal.h] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/faheem/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

help please.

omskates
October 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
At the "Build from source" Link posted in post #1 I actually used the instructions for Running as seen there and they worked fine. They give 3 options, I used the 3rd option to use gnome-shell permanently in my case.

f_padia
October 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Thing is i've tried running gnome-shell by installing it from synaptic manager and it keeps crashing then I have to restart X to get back to working OS. thats why I tried to build it from source. So i dont want to run permanently if its going to crash instantly.

omskates
October 14th, 2010, 04:14 PM
OK so in that case after success in building you would:

Running gnome-shell replacing the panel

This approach is best when trying out the GNOME Shell and wanting to see its full potential.

cd ~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src
./gnome-shell --replace

When gnome-shell exits (you can kill it with Control-C in the terminal in which you started it), gnome-panel and metacity are restarted. (The script hardcodes /usr/bin/metacity and /usr/bin/gnome-panel, if that doesn't work in your setup, please make the script smarter and submit a patch.)

I think you could add that in startup scripts.

omskates
October 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
While running Gnome-Shell next to the Activities button, is the name of the currently used application; well when I'm not running any apps for some reason File-Manager is appearing there, even though I don't have Nautilus open. Since closing apps from that panel feature isn't working "File-Manager" just sits there on the panel looking ugly LOL.

f_padia
October 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM
OK so in that case after success in building you would:

I think you could add that in startup scripts.

gnome-shell --replace from alt+F2 crashes the comp. and ./gnome-shell --replace doesnt work... 'No such file or directory'... confused

wersdaluv
October 18th, 2010, 02:01 AM
gnome-shell --replace from alt+F2 crashes the comp. and ./gnome-shell --replace doesnt work... 'No such file or directory'... confused
I updated the first post :)

wersdaluv
October 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I noticed that the version from the repo is much faster than the one installed from source. Do you also experience this?

XanTrax
October 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
You should add these following packages to your list of dependencies as the gnome-shell-build-setup.sh script tells you to download them:

xserver-xephyr python-dev libjasper-dev

As well as

jhbuild

ok tried running jhbuild build gtk3 again and it worked!

now i try to run make install and that fails!

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/faheem/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src'
GEN stamp-st-marshal.h
/bin/bash: line 2: --prefix=_st_marshal: command not found
make[1]: *** [stamp-st-marshal.h] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/faheem/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

help please.

Why did you run make install? You shouldnt have even ran configure which leads me to believe you never read the instructions on http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/#Building

david stevenson
October 23rd, 2010, 12:06 AM
I had an error "no package libcanberra"
I installed libcanberra_dev and libcanberra_gtk_dev and it got further.
But now at:
CCLD test-theme
/home/david/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_main_context_invoke'
/home/david/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_signal_accumulator_first_wins'
Looks like I have some more .la files so time to remove them and start again.......

Update - more errors, then gave up at can not find jsapi.h
So deleted all and tried apt-get install gnome-shell
That works and installs 2.31.5 which is not that old.....

wersdaluv
November 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM
updated first post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9951257&postcount=1) to add new dependencies when building from source

FlyingIsFun1217
November 16th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I'm also trying to compile, and I'm having no problems whatsoever until I get to [26/28]. The following occurs:

CCLD gnome-settings-daemon
gnome_settings_daemon-main.o: In function `main':
/home/user/gnome-shell/source/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon/main.c:274: undefined reference to `notify_init'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [gnome-settings-daemon] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/user/gnome-shell/source/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/user/gnome-shell/source/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/user/gnome-shell/source/gnome-settings-daemon'
make: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error during phase build of gnome-settings-daemon: ########## Error running make *** [26/28]

I can't figure this one out; I've deleted the .la files, and cleaned and rebuilt once, but every time I get the same error.

FlyingIsFun1217

arindom
November 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I'm also trying to compile, and I'm having no problems whatsoever until I get to [26/28]. The following occurs:

I can't figure this one out; I've deleted the .la files, and cleaned and rebuilt once, but every time I get the same error.

FlyingIsFun1217

Same problem for me too. Got stuck at 26/28. Two days back when I compiled it worked that time.

Is this due to some dependency issue? May be I am missing something.

amato
November 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Same problem for me too. Got stuck at 26/28. Two days back when I compiled it worked that time.

Is this due to some dependency issue? May be I am missing something.

me too, any idea to fix-it? :(

wersdaluv
November 16th, 2010, 01:48 PM
FlyingIsFun1217 and arindom
It now requires a newer version of libnotify that's not in the repository.

To install the new version of libnotify, run this

cd ~/bin
./jhbuild shell
cd ~/gnome-shell/source
git clone git://git.gnome.org/libnotify
cd ./libnotify
./autogen.sh --prefix $HOME/gnome-shell/install/
make && make install

arindom
November 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM
FlyingIsFun1217 and arindom
It now requires a newer version of libnotify that's not in the repository.

To install the new version of libnotify, run this

cd ~/bin
./jhbuild shell
cd ~/gnome-shell/source
git clone git://git.gnome.org/libnotify
cd ./libnotify
./autogen.sh --prefix $HOME/gnome-shell/install/
make && make install

Many thanks wersdaluv for your help. Trying this now. Will update here about the result.

I have to compile it from fresh, because removing the *.la files or simple jhbuild didn't work. Same error reproduced. Even option [6] didn't work.

arindom
November 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Many thanks wersdaluv for your help. Trying this now. Will update here about the result.

I have to compile it from fresh, because removing the *.la files or simple jhbuild didn't work. Same error reproduced. Even option [6] didn't work.

No, it didn't work for me. After installing libnotify as suggested above, I tried the following :

$ rm -rf ~/gnome-shell/install
$ jhbuild build -afc

Same Error :

~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon/main.c:274: undefined reference to `notify_init'

arindom
November 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
No, it didn't work for me. After installing libnotify as suggested above, I tried the following :

$ rm -rf ~/gnome-shell/install
$ jhbuild build -afc

Same Error :

~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon/main.c:274: undefined reference to `notify_init'

My mistake. It solved the issue now.

Not sure that changing the make install in the libnotify install command to sudo make install did the trick or not, but after I made the change in another terminal and run option 6, I was able to see the "Success" step.

Thanks again to wersdalu, for helping on this.

kvant
November 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM
My build faled, I've removed the gnome-shell directory.

My question: Did removing la files upset my system in any way or is everything cool concering all my other programs etc.? :)

Thanks!

FlyingIsFun1217
November 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I haven't tried sudo make install, but with the directions given for the new libnotify, I get the same error as arindom described.

FlyingIsFun1217

arindom
November 16th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Although I was able to complete the compilation, I can not run gnome-shell. Here is the error detail :

JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: Bad method name "Gdk.Window.get_device_position"
JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '43'
JS ERROR: !!! fileName = '/home/arindom/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js'
JS ERROR: !!! stack = 'Error("Bad method name \"Gdk.Window.get_device_position\"")@:0
_blockMethod("Gdk.Window.get_device_position","global.get_pointer","gjs's handling of Gdk.ModifierType is broken. See bug 597292.")@/home/arindom/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js:43
init()@/home/arindom/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js:94
start()@/home/arindom/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:87
@<main>:1
'
JS ERROR: !!! message = 'Bad method name "Gdk.Window.get_device_position"'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Bad method name "Gdk.Window.get_device_position"

md1512
November 16th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Although I was able to complete the compilation, I can not run gnome-shell. Here is the error detail :

JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: Bad method name "Gdk.Window.get_device_position"
JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '43'
JS ERROR: !!! fileName = '/home/arindom/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js'
JS ERROR: !!! stack = 'Error("Bad method name \"Gdk.Window.get_device_position\"")@:0
_blockMethod("Gdk.Window.get_device_position","global.get_pointer","gjs's handling of Gdk.ModifierType is broken. See bug 597292.")@/home/arindom/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js:43
init()@/home/arindom/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js:94
start()@/home/arindom/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:87
@<main>:1
'
JS ERROR: !!! message = 'Bad method name "Gdk.Window.get_device_position"'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Bad method name "Gdk.Window.get_device_position"

I have the same problem but on Lucid Lynx

criball
November 16th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Ok, solved it! You must build gtk3

jhbuild build gtk3

FlyingIsFun1217
November 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Building gtk3 first seems to do the trick for me, although doing the "make install" step from the first post throws another error with an outdated version (I can't remember the package off-hand). Using gnome-shell works just fine though.

FlyingIsFun1217

arindom
November 17th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Ok, solved it! You must build gtk3

jhbuild build gtk3

Thanks criball for the steps.

It's working for me too.

SAKO2008
November 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I get an error:

Running intltoolize...
Running gtkdocize...
Running aclocal-1.11...
configure.in:399: warning: macro `AM_PATH_LIBGCRYPT' not found in library
Running autoconf...
configure.in:399: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_LIBGCRYPT
If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
See the Autoconf documentation.
*** Error during phase configure of gnome-keyring: ########## Errore nell'eseguire ./autogen.sh --prefix /home/fabio/gnome-shell/install --libdir '/home/fabio/gnome-shell/install/lib' --disable-static --disable-gtk-doc *** [29/33]

[1] Rerun phase configure
[2] Ignore error and continue to clean
[3] Give up on module
[4] Start shell
[5] Reload configuration
[6] Go to phase "wipe directory and start over"
[7] Go to phase "clean"
[8] Go to phase "distclean"
scelta:

how can I fix this?

wersdaluv
November 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Let this be the thread for GNOME Shell Installation stuff on Maverick. I update this first post whenever there's something noteworthy about the subject.

See the GNOME Shell Testing thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476241) on Meerkat Testing and Discussion forum for your reference.

An easy way of installing GNOME Shell is by using the version in the repository. However, this is relatively outdated. To do this, simply install the gnome-shell package from the Ubuntu Software Center.

The following steps are expected to work when there's no existing ~/gnome-shell folder

Install Dependencies

sudo apt-get install curl libtiff4-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libcroco3-dev xulrunner-dev mesa-utils mesa-common-dev libreadline5-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libwnck-dev librsvg2-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-menu-dev libffi-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev gtk-doc-tools gnome-common git-core flex bison automake build-essential icon-naming-utils autopoint libvorbis-dev libxklavier libpam-dev libgcrypt-dev libtasn1-3-bin libgnome-keyring-dev libupower-glib-dev

Installing the new UI (only works if you installed from source)

After installing GNOME Shell on ~/gnome-shell, run these commands:

cd ~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell
git checkout -b overview-relayout origin/overview-relayout
make install

Running GNOME Shell

If you built it from source, follow these instructions (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#Running)

gnome-shell --replace
Updated first post again for new dependencies. Install them if you're getting new errors.

frogknowledge
November 19th, 2010, 06:27 AM
How do you fix this??

I get an error:

Code:
Running intltoolize...
Running gtkdocize...
Running aclocal-1.11...
Running autoconf...
*** Error during phase configure of gnome-keyring: ########## Errore nell'eseguire ./autogen.sh --prefix /home/fabio/gnome-shell/install --libdir '/home/fabio/gnome-shell/install/lib' --disable-static --disable-gtk-doc *** [29/33]

[3] Give up on module
[4] Start shell
[5] Reload configuration
[7] Go to phase "clean"
scelta:
how can I fix this?

wersdaluv
November 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM
How do you fix this??

I get an error:

Code:
Running intltoolize...
Running gtkdocize...
Running aclocal-1.11...
Running autoconf...

[3] Give up on module
[4] Start shell
[5] Reload configuration
[7] Go to phase "clean"
scelta:
how can I fix this?
Try

sudo apt-get install curl libtiff4-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libcroco3-dev xulrunner-dev mesa-utils mesa-common-dev libreadline5-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libwnck-dev librsvg2-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-menu-dev libffi-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev gtk-doc-tools gnome-common git-core flex bison automake build-essential icon-naming-utils autopoint libvorbis-dev libxklavier libpam-dev libgcrypt-dev libtasn1-3-bin libgnome-keyring-dev libupower-glib-dev

alphonce
November 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM
How do you fix this??

I get an error:

Code:
Running intltoolize...
Running gtkdocize...
Running aclocal-1.11...
Running autoconf...

[3] Give up on module
[4] Start shell
[5] Reload configuration
[7] Go to phase "clean"
scelta:
how can I fix this?

I'm getting the same, looking in to it now, post if progress =)

alphonce
November 19th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Try

add libtasn1-dev to that and you're set =)

frogknowledge
November 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
So I tried the other code WERSDALUV, and this is what I got?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libpam0g-dev' instead of 'libpam-dev'
Note, selecting 'libgcrypt11-dev' instead of 'libgcrypt-dev'
E: Unable to locate package libxklavier

wersdaluv
November 19th, 2010, 11:43 PM
So I tried the other code WERSDALUV, and this is what I got?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libpam0g-dev' instead of 'libpam-dev'
Note, selecting 'libgcrypt11-dev' instead of 'libgcrypt-dev'
E: Unable to locate package libxklavier
I think, it's what alphonce said. Also install libtasn1-dev :)

frogknowledge
November 20th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Yea I installed libtasn1-dev no problem got the same error installing. Not sure what I did wrong

markuskalb
November 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Yea I installed libtasn1-dev no problem got the same error installing. Not sure what I did wrong

My Ubuntu 10.10 only offers libxklavier16 and libxklavier-dev as possible packages.

markuskalb
November 24th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Hi

i get the attached error while doing "jhbuild build" the odd part is that the the gtk3+ make before the libgnomekbd runs without troubles and inside the gtk3+ is also one .c file that use's GTK_PIXELS without having a problem.

As this is a kbd (=keyboard) compile stuff i wonder if it might be connected to the fact that i hda to install libxklavier16 because there is no libxklavier?

*** Erstellung läuft libgnomekbd *** [1/1]
make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/home/mk/gnome-shell/source/libgnomekbd'
Making all in libgnomekbd
make[2]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/home/mk/gnome-shell/source/libgnomekbd/libgnomekbd'
GEN gkbd-indicator-marshal.h
GEN gkbd-indicator-marshal.c
GEN gkbd-keyboard-drawing-marshal.h
GEN gkbd-keyboard-drawing-marshal.c
make all-am
make[3]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/home/mk/gnome-shell/source/libgnomekbd/libgnomekbd'
CC libgnomekbd_la-gkbd-desktop-config.lo
CC libgnomekbd_la-gkbd-keyboard-config.lo
CC libgnomekbd_la-gkbd-util.lo
CCLD libgnomekbd.la
CC libgnomekbdui_la-gkbd-indicator-config.lo
CC libgnomekbdui_la-gkbd-indicator.lo
CC libgnomekbdui_la-gkbd-status.lo
CC libgnomekbdui_la-gkbd-indicator-marshal.lo
CC libgnomekbdui_la-gkbd-indicator-plugin-manager.lo
CC libgnomekbdui_la-gkbd-keyboard-drawing-marshal.lo
CC libgnomekbdui_la-gkbd-keyboard-drawing.lo
gkbd-keyboard-drawing.c: In function ‘gkbd_keyboard_drawing_draw_page’:
gkbd-keyboard-drawing.c:2387: error: ‘GTK_PIXELS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
gkbd-keyboard-drawing.c:2387: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
gkbd-keyboard-drawing.c:2387: error: for each function it appears in.)
gkbd-keyboard-drawing.c: In function ‘gkbd_keyboard_drawing_new_dialog’:
gkbd-keyboard-drawing.c:2565: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘xkl_xkb_config_native_prepare’
gkbd-keyboard-drawing.c:2569: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘xkl_xkb_config_native_cleanup’
make[3]: *** [libgnomekbdui_la-gkbd-keyboard-drawing.lo] Fehler 1
make[3]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/mk/gnome-shell/source/libgnomekbd/libgnomekbd'
make[2]: *** [all] Fehler 2
make[2]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/mk/gnome-shell/source/libgnomekbd/libgnomekbd'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/mk/gnome-shell/source/libgnomekbd'
make: *** [all] Fehler 2
*** Fehler während Phase build von libgnomekbd: ########## Fehler beim Ausführen von make *** [1/1]

jon.reeve
December 4th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Any knowledgeable and charitable people out there who would be willing to put together a .deb of the latest snapshot for i386? That would be so awesome, and I bet would save hundreds of computing-hours for those of us non-devs who just want to try it out, and don't need to examine the source. Not to mention, many of us are having difficulty compiling it, and it takes so long to compile...

Harry33
December 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Newest gnome-shell (2.91.3) is based on GTK+3 and gnome3-desktop plus with dependencies on libgjs0b and xulrunner-2.0-mozjs.
Not a good idea to install this on Maverick.

But, then again, there are no working PPA's for Natty either.

Update:
Now Micah Gersten is going to upgrade gnome-shell_2.91.3 in to Nattys repos.

pat_96
December 23rd, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm sorry, is there someone that can help me with this problem?

configure: error: Package requirements (gio-2.0 >= 2.25.9
gio-unix-2.0 dbus-glib-1
gtk+-3.0 >= 2.91.7
mutter-plugins >= 2.91.4
gjs-internals-1.0 >= 0.7
libgnome-menu gstreamer-0.10 gstreamer-base-0.10 xfixes gconf-2.0
gdk-x11-3.0
clutter-x11-1.0 >= 1.5.8
clutter-glx-1.0 >= 1.5.8
libstartup-notification-1.0
gobject-introspection-1.0 >= 0.6.11
libcanberra) were not met:

Requested 'mutter-plugins >= 2.91.4' but version of mutter-plugins is 2.91.3

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables MUTTER_PLUGIN_CFLAGS
and MUTTER_PLUGIN_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
*** Error during phase configure of gnome-shell: ########## Errore nell'eseguire ./autogen.sh --prefix /home/patrick/gnome-shell/install --libdir '/home/patrick/gnome-shell/install/lib' --disable-static --disable-gtk-doc *** [30/33]

How can i fix this error? Thanks :)

Harry33
December 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I'm sorry, is there someone that can help me with this problem?

configure: error: Package requirements (gio-2.0 >= 2.25.9
mutter-plugins >= 2.91.4

Requested 'mutter-plugins >= 2.91.4' but version of mutter-plugins is 2.91.3

How can i fix this error? Thanks :)

Seems you have too old mutter version (2.91.3). Newer is needed (2.91.4).

pat_96
December 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
I've just added ricotz's PPA and choosed in synaptic to install the proposed-updates... It works!!!

Buying_Some_Time
February 12th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Hello, I've successfully built my gnome shell but, when I try to start it I get this error:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Accessibility: org.a11y.atspi schema not found. Are you sure that at-spi or at-spi2 is installed on your system?
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Accessibility: invalid module path (NULL)
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Accessibility: error loading the atk-bridge. Although the accessibility on the system is enabled and clutter accessibility is also enabled, accessibility support on GNOME Shell will not work
JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Fri Feb 11 2011 10:21:20 GMT-0500 (EST)
gnome-power-manager: error while loading shared libraries: libcanberra-gtk3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
JS LOG: Failed to acquire org.freedesktop.Notifications; trying again

(mutter:11324): GdmUser-WARNING **: Unable to load CK history: no seat-id found

** (ck-history:11347): WARNING **: Unknown option --since=2010-12-13T15:21:26.982142Z
Window manager warning: Log level 8: meta_window_raise: assertion `!window->override_redirect' failed
Window manager warning: Log level 8: meta_window_focus: assertion `!window->override_redirect' failedAnyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

I used the JHbuild btw.

wersdaluv
February 13th, 2011, 12:41 PM
For those people who built Shell from source recently, if you can't run it, this will do the trick:

rm ~/gnome-shell/install/lib/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so

wersdaluv
March 7th, 2011, 12:44 AM

Install Dependencies

sudo apt-get install curl libtiff4-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libcroco3-dev xulrunner-dev mesa-utils mesa-common-dev libreadline5-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libwnck-dev librsvg2-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-menu-dev libffi-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev gtk-doc-tools gnome-common git-core flex bison automake build-essential icon-naming-utils autopoint libvorbis-dev libpam-dev libgcrypt-dev libtasn1-dev libtasn1-3-bin libgnome-keyring-dev libupower-glib-dev libxklavier16 libxklavier-dev xserver-xephyr python-dev libpulse-dev libjasper-dev jhbuild libgtop2-dev libsqlite3-dev libproxy-dev libdb-dev libproxy-dev libcups2-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev

Running GNOME Shell

gnome-shell --replace

*edited to add dependencies

rvchari
May 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM
to the first post....

$ sudo tee /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90removela <<< 'DPkg { Post-Invoke { "find /usr/lib*/ -name "*.la" -delete 2> /dev/null || true"; }; };'

is the above command line a one time use after compilation / build or i have to use everytime i update my system?

may sound a silly question but still i would like to confirm.