PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installed 10.10 64 bit; does not accept administrator password

entropy1
October 11th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I had 9.04 64-bit with / and /home in separate partitions. Today I used 10.10 alternate install to install a command line system. Then installed gnome-core, synaptic, gparted, and a few other things. Now when I go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager or to Gparted, I am asked for the "administrator password". I type in my password, but it is not accepted. However, from a terminal I can "sudo synaptic", give my password, and install whatever I want. Why is my password not accepted when I use the menu to invoke Synaptic?

AKADAP
October 11th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I had 9.04 64-bit with / and /home in separate partitions. Today I used 10.10 alternate install to install a command line system. Then installed gnome-core, synaptic, gparted, and a few other things. Now when I go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager or to Gparted, I am asked for the "administrator password". I type in my password, but it is not accepted. However, from a terminal I can "sudo synaptic", give my password, and install whatever I want. Why is my password not accepted when I use the menu to invoke Synaptic?

Your password is not accepted for the root password because it is not the root password.

By default Ubuntu does not create a root account. This used to be a big problem if you needed to use the failsafe boots because they required you to log in as root, and there was no root. This may have been fixed.

In order for the root password to work, you need to set the password for the root user.

entropy1
October 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM
But I never created a root account/password. If one has been created inadvertently, can it be deleted, and would that solve the problem?

LarryMi
October 11th, 2010, 01:26 PM
entropy1 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=778720), have the same problem as you running 64 bit.

Yesterday, most everything seemed to work fine until I applied an update. This update was for 'update-manager' and 'update-manager-core'.

If I choose synaptic or the run applications (alt + F2), it will ask for a password. My password is rejected; however, when I run synaptic at the terminal it will ask for my password, but is accepted. If I choose "Users and Groups", it will accept my password.

Does the update-manger work for you? If I choose "Check", it does run, but is grayed-out but never completes to allow me to close the application.

Something is also strange, when I boot by system, and when I get to the login screen, I don't have a mouse. After entering my password (which is accepted), and when I get into Ubuntu, my mouse pointer appears.

Not sure what's going on, but home to see some fixed soon.

If anyone has any advice, it is appreciated.

entropy1
October 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Users and Groups works for me.

Update Manager does not work for me; either from the menu or from a terminal.

My mouse DOES work at the login screen.

LarryMi
October 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM
See if this works for you. Info is here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes) See Upstart jobs cannot be run in a chroot)
on this page.

I entered:
dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl

as root, and now it's accepting my password; however, still have a problem with update-manager, so I have to "kill" it via the System Monitor

entropy1
October 11th, 2010, 11:14 PM
See if this works for you. Info is here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes) See Upstart jobs cannot be run in a chroot)
on this page.

I entered:
dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl

as root, and now it's accepting my password; however, still have a problem with update-manager, so I have to "kill" it via the System Monitor

I tried this, but even after a shutdown and restart, I cannot run synaptic or update-manager from the menu.

entropy1
October 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
In Virtualbox, I used 10.10 alternate install 32-bit to install a command line system. Then installed gnome-core, synaptic, gparted, and a few other things. I have the same problem as in my original post. I then created another virtual machine using the 10.10 alternate 32-bit to install the regular desktop ubuntu. I didn't have the problem. Then in the first virtual machine, I installed gnome-desktop and my problem went away. This required an addition 166 MB download. Seems like overkill to fix my problem. Maybe there are just one or two items I need to install to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

LarryMi
October 12th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I don't have an answer, but still trying to figure out how to solve this.

LarryMi
October 12th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I got my mouse working by installing gnome-core, and synaptic to acknowledge by passwords by installing desktop-base.

decoherence
October 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I got ... synaptic to acknowledge by passwords by installing desktop-base.

Worked for me as well. It appears to use a different password dialogue now. Is AuthKit broken? (does Ubuntu still use AuthKit?)

Smartflight
January 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Had this issue on Ubuntu 10.10 amd64. Installed desktop-base, working good now!

jmontee
January 29th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Had this issue on Ubuntu 10.10 amd64. Installed desktop-base, working good now!
I wasn't happy with a fix that required me to install extra software, so I kept digging. I just got to the bottom of this and wanted to share the solution.

What's happening is that gksu is being used to perform authentication, but by default, gksu is set to operate in the wrong authentication mode.

Here's what to do. Drop to the terminal, run gksu-properties, switch the authentication mode from su to sudo, and you're done.

That's it. No installing any extra software to fix this issue. Hope this helps!

palmero
February 22nd, 2011, 01:04 AM
Thanks jmontee

It worked flawlessly for my (ubuntu 10.10 server 64 bits)

Just a remark:

First time I run "sudo gksu-properties", and changed from SU to SUDO. It didn't work.

Then I realized that you said "gksu-properties" without "sudo"and gave it a try... Perfect!

Thanks again; very elegant solution.

Palmero

LazyBoy
May 1st, 2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks jmontee!

entropy1
May 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks jmontee. This works great.

wirephobia
September 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks jmontee, this worked for me on 11.04 too.

deenak
February 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM
awesome solution jmontee!!!