PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot Directly to Ubuntu over Vista

Don Ju4n
October 11th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Hi guys

Sorry if this has been posted before im a complete newbie to ubuntu... (i just finished installing about 15 minutes ago)

I know theres something called the GRUB that lets me choose whether to boot to Vista or Ubuntu, but since Ubuntu is way awesome i always boot right into it (unless i gotta change something on vista). The question is if i can skip the GRUB menu and boot right into ubuntu. Thanks

mikeyphi
October 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hi guys

Sorry if this has been posted before im a complete newbie to ubuntu... (i just finished installing about 15 minutes ago)

I know there's something called the GRUB that lets me choose whether to boot to Vista or Ubuntu, but since Ubuntu is way awesome i always boot right into it (unless i gotta change something on vista). The question is if i can skip the GRUB menu and boot right into ubuntu. Thanks

If you've got the 2 OS's on different HD's - just disconnect Vista before installing Ubuntu. However if they're on the same HD - you need Grub to be able to boot into vista; you can reduce the delay time before the system automatically boots into Ubuntu.

Mark Phelps
October 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Install startup-manager.

Then, open it and use the pull-down to select your default OS.

When you reboot, that will launch if you don't select anything else.

If you want to see NO menu, experiment with reducing the wait time. Also can be done using startup-manager.

BingHeZhouKe
October 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM
there is a file named "grub.cfg" in /boot/grub ,you can edit it to make it.
there are several lines like this :
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi

you just need change "timeout=10" to "timeout=0",then svae the file .
the file is readonly,you must run as root to change its attribution before edit it.
wish you good luck

Rubi1200
October 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
there is a file named "grub.cfg" in /boot/grub ,you can edit it to make it.
there are several lines like this :
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi

you just need change "timeout=10" to "timeout=0",then svae the file .
the file is readonly,you must run as root to change its attribution before edit it.
wish you good luck
grub.cfg should NOT be edited directly! And, this can be done in other ways.
See here for more information:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

BingHeZhouKe
October 11th, 2010, 05:23 PM
grub.cfg should NOT be edited directly! And, this can be done in other ways.
See here for more information:

in my opinion,it is a easy way.the grub.cfg is just a config file,it is also easy to be recoveried:)

cariboo
October 11th, 2010, 06:08 PM
You have to change the permissions of /boot/grub/boot.cfg before you can edit it, then change it back after you are done.

The preferred method is to edit /etc/default/grub as root, then run update-grub after you have finished the edit.

Rubi1200
October 11th, 2010, 06:15 PM
in my opinion,it is a easy way.the grub.cfg is just a config file,it is also easy to be recoveried:)
As cariboo907 already pointed out,
The preferred method is to edit /etc/default/grub as root, then run update-grub after you have finished the edit.

There is a good reason that grub.cfg is not meant to be edited directly:

Manual Editing of grub.cfg (Not encouraged)
Manual editing of /boot/grub/grub.cfg is not encouraged. Think of grub.cfg as a result, not as an initiator. The files that should be edited are contained in the /etc/grub.d folders and the /etc/default/grub file.

In order to discourage its editing, grub.cfg is read-only. Even attempting to open, edit and save this file using root privileges cannot be done until the 'read-only' status is changed.

Don Ju4n
October 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Install startup-manager.

Then, open it and use the pull-down to select your default OS.

When you reboot, that will launch if you don't select anything else.

If you want to see NO menu, experiment with reducing the wait time. Also can be done using startup-manager.

I'll try that, but for now I guess ill have to stay content with my GRUB... and im not talking about jail grub :D