PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NX disabled

patrick848
October 11th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I'm very new to Ubuntu, and decided to try out 10.10. I got the installation to work, and I booted into it just fine. I then went to install the proprietary drivers that were necessary, (a wireless card driver and nvidia driver) but after installing the nvidia driver I was asked to reboot to complete the update. Upon rebooting I was no longer greeted by "normal" Ubuntu, but some TTY1 command line. Once I logged in, it told me that my CPU was lacking some security feature called NX, and after entering in the command to check, I saw that my computer was fully capable of enabling NX, but that my BIOS was disabling it. In my BIOS settings, I have no fields allowing me to enable it. I know that I have an InsydeH20 BIOS. My computer is an Acer Aspire 5745G if that helps at all.

lhall
October 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Im having the exact same issue as you same laptop. Mine is a core i3 with switchable 1gb Nvidia gt330m.

I just took a long shot and went into the bios and switched the graphic mode to discrete graphics only, and my computer went back to booting. Dont set those passwords btw.

What is causing the issue is unknown to me, but at least it is working, i was hoping to still have switchable graphics but i guess it isn't happening right now.

lhall
October 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Nevermind. My power supply got randomly separated.

patrick848
October 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
So then it wasn't the graphics? I actually contacted acer yesterday and they are having someone from a more advanced team of tech support call me back tonight about the issue, hopefully it will be resolved and I will post the results.

lhall
October 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
No, it was the graphics. That last message said had me thinking that i bricked, but it was just the power supply.

So far mine has been running fine with the graphics set to discrete only.

Im going to upgrade the BIOS later i think. Let me know what tech support tells you.