PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is Ubuntu One secure?

CommuneOfLoon
October 11th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I just started reading about this Ubuntu Cloud thing - seems interesting. My biggest concern is the security of it. How safe is the data you store on it? Do others have access to this data, and what is the chance that the data will be lost? And, does having your computer open to "the Cloud" leave it vulnerable, or is it kind of like using BitTorrent?

kim0
October 12th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I just started reading about this Ubuntu Cloud thing - seems interesting. My biggest concern is the security of it. How safe is the data you store on it? Do others have access to this data, and what is the chance that the data will be lost? And, does having your computer open to "the Cloud" leave it vulnerable, or is it kind of like using BitTorrent?

Hey there,

This page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOne/Security
Can answer your concerns regarding UbuntuOne cloud storage

I don't think you need to worry about leaving your computer "open to the cloud". That doesn't strike me as a real threat, or at least you need to explain what you're worried about some more

CommuneOfLoon
October 12th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I'll definitely read that article.

For now, to answer your question, I guess I'm concerned if others would have access to data I store in the cloud, whether thru legitimate channels or thru less legitimate ones ("hacking" I guess).

kim0
October 13th, 2010, 08:04 AM
You can share your cloud data with your friends if you want to, however, if you want to keep it private I would not be concerned about hacking into the cloud. The guys that are running it are probably doing a better job securing it more than I am securing my own laptop :) Nothing is perfect, but again generally your data should be safe