PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] big problem upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10

cwhitney24
October 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
i upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 from the update part of ubuntu. after it downloaded the necessary files and installed them it had to restart. after restarting Ubuntu will not open up. my computer will turn on the the boot screen where i can choose from vista or ubuntu. i choose ubuntu and it comes up the no wubildr message then the next screen says error: no suitable mode found. Someone please help! i dont know what to do!

JackAcid
October 11th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I have the same result after trying to upgrade via the update manager on my 64bit gateway NV79. Original installation of Ubuntu 10.04 was via wubi. what went wrong?

Please help! I now have only Windows7 as the only OS available. Guess it's a good thing I backed up all of my data!

cwhitney24
October 11th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I have the same result after trying to upgrade via the update manager on my 64bit gateway NV79. Original installation of Ubuntu 10.04 was via wubi. what went wrong?

Please help! I now have only Windows7 as the only OS available. Guess it's a good thing I backed up all of my data!

yeah dummy me i didnt back up anything. i am hoping to hear an answer to fix this tonight. if i dont get an answer back then i guess tomorrow ill have to just reinstall the whole thing.

Cathhsmom
October 11th, 2010, 12:15 AM
yeah dummy me i didnt back up anything. i am hoping to hear an answer to fix this tonight. if i dont get an answer back then i guess tomorrow ill have to just reinstall the whole thing.

Are you able to see your Window files in Ubuntu? If so, you can back it up now before reloading Windows, followed by Ubuntu.

cwhitney24
October 11th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Are you able to see your Window files in Ubuntu? If so, you can back it up now before reloading Windows, followed by Ubuntu.

i cant get into ubuntu period. after i went through the upgrade stuff it said it needed to restart. once it did it wont let me load up ubuntu at all.

lm1980
October 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I like many have upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10.
my method was to burn the Alternate 10.10 upgrade.iso to cd and upgrade that way.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/maverick-alternate-i386.iso

This worked for me with no issues.

My only issue over the upgrade is that bootup seems slower than 10.04 but I wont thread-jack on this issue, even though I was unable to reply to the correct thread.

Try my method.

biniou14
October 11th, 2010, 12:28 AM
My upgrade also failed (netbook edition)
When booting on 2.6.35-22-generic kernel, I've got two instances of an error missing reporting missing modules.dep file for this kernel. But boot process continues, ask me for the key storage password, and... nothing
When booting on 2.6.32-25-generic kernel, no error but same result

JackAcid
October 11th, 2010, 03:40 AM
take a look here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide at the section "Can I back up the installation files?
If you still have the C:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk file maybe your data is not gone after all. In reading the wubi guide I do not see that upgrade is supported for 10.04-> 10.10, and maybe that is the problem?

I may end up having to reload as well , but it looks like there is a way to save the data.
Hope this helps!

bcbc
October 11th, 2010, 06:22 AM
The 10.10 release notes state that wubi upgrades will fail.

The good news is that the upgrade is successful and your data is still there, just you can't boot it.

To get around it you can follow this note http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9932369&postcount=5

JackAcid
October 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM
THANK YOU!
You have saved my linux install!
Excellent instructions bcbc. I did not see the release note warning about wubi installs or I would not have tried it.

I used my 10.04 64bit live cd and was able to mount the hard drive from Nautilus, mount the virtual disk and then edit the grub.cgf file.

Ubuntu rocks! You are awesome!

And next time I will read the release notes more thoroughly (as well as backing up data).

vroberts
October 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 on an MSI Wind (using the desktop version for both) and when I choose the 2.6.35-22 kernel I get a modprobe error that it can't find files in lib/kernel, and then procceds to boot, perhaps with an older kernel.

If I choose the next older kernel at the Grub boot screen, all is OK.

Vic Roberts