PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does Unity Work?

Shibblet
October 10th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I downloaded 10.10 today, just like everyone else. ;)

However, I'm not really thrilled with the new Unity interface...

It feels clunky, it seems slow to operate, and things just don't flow well.

I don't like the fact that the windows all run maximized, and I can't figure out how to turn that off. I feel like there is a way.

When you open up the file browser, or app browser, the icons take 30-60 seconds to actually load. This seems to happen on every reboot.

I guess my question is... Am I not installing something that is necessary? Am I missing something, or does Unity kind of suck?

I like 10.10, and for now I'm sticking with the Gnome Desktop instead. I just feel like i'm doing something wrong with Unity. I feel like it just can't be this bad.

kerry_s
October 11th, 2010, 04:49 AM
it's 3d now, so if your 3d sucks you'll get slow performance. when i open those menus the first time, it takes a sec to load, after that it's instant, like displaying from cache, which is probably why new items don't show till after log out & back in.

Shibblet
October 11th, 2010, 05:48 AM
it's 3d now, so if your 3d sucks you'll get slow performance. when i open those menus the first time, it takes a sec to load, after that it's instant, like displaying from cache, which is probably why new items don't show till after log out & back in.

Well, this is on my Asus 1201N, with Nvidia Ion Graphics. So I am positive that the 3d does not suck.

I also made sure to install the driver before launching Unity. Maybe I just don't like it...