PDA

View Full Version : Is this fair to say yet?

FrankTheTankC
October 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM
In the past, I have had to do some tweaks to get my hardware working in any linux distribution (by some, I mean 6 hours+ playing with different things, bootstrap this, ndiswrapper that, so on.)

I just updated to 10.10, and ive been using it for about 2 hours now.

I think it is now fair to say that Ubuntu finally has reached the stage where (excuse the vulgarity)

Stuff Just Plain Works.

My main machine is a meaty n beefy Lenovo W510 workstation laptop.
In 10.04, I had to install windows wireless drivers (using ndiswrapper) to get my wireless to work (and sometimes I just had to beat it with a stick.)
I had to make special xorg.conf tweaks to get the middle trackpoint button to emulate scrolling.
I had to make even more tweaks to make my 7+ button Logitech G500 mouse work.
EVEN MORE tweaks to make all the buttons on my laptop work (sound, brightness etc.)

Now, I don't mind getting my hands dirty, I'm pretty comfortable with the command line/editing necessary text files and such.
When I installed 10.10 (did a fresh install cause I felt I coulda used a thorough cleaning anyway) I was amazed. EVERYTHING WORKED (save for proprietary graphics drivers, but that's alright, you would have to update those in teh doze anyway)

If you disagree, please say so. That's how conversations start and improvements happen.

TheNerdAL
October 10th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I don't know if you are mad about this or happy. :P

But I love how the Linux and Ubuntu community is growing. :D

Naiki Muliaina
October 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
In the past, I have had to do some tweaks to get my hardware working in any linux distribution (by some, I mean 6 hours+ playing with different things, bootstrap this, ndiswrapper that, so on.)

You sir, needed hardware that was confirmed to work with Linux :-D

I agree with the gist of the post though. Aside from my own hardware issue (my bad, I always normally check before I buy, the one time I didnt... Bah!). Even that is less of an issue now / not an issue now.

23meg
October 10th, 2010, 11:59 PM
It used to be that you had to carefully pick hardware to work with Linux at all; these days you have to carefully pick it to have major problems.

Tibuda
October 11th, 2010, 12:06 AM
This is the year of the Linux desktop. Just like every year.

FrankTheTankC
October 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM
im happy lmao.

as far as my laptop and linux friendliness, lenovo/ibm has had a track record for decent linux support, but I always had to tweak SOMETHING. now, it all just worked.

KiwiNZ
October 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM
This is the year of the Linux desktop. Just like every year.

For every person that installs Linux without issue it is the Year of the linux Desktop and for every person that installs it and has a multitude of issues it is not the year of the Linux Desktop.

And those who have found something they are happy with, they are free to be happy with it.

kaldor
October 11th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I've had the opposite experience.

I have not tried Maverick yet (except testing a while ago on virtualbox), so maybe my trouble have changed.

Starting at 9.10 I've had too many issues with Ubuntu that are simply NOT present in any other major distro.

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 01:14 AM
And those who have found something they are happy with, they are free to be happy with it.
I agree*.

*as long as its not a closed source OS

Frogs Hair
October 11th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I had a very good 10.10 installation experience as well .:)

Shibblet
October 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
If you disagree, please say so. That's how conversations start and improvements happen.

Seems to me like everything is working great.

I have two very small issues so far. The first is being able to change my profile photo in Empathy. The second is that the automatic aspect ratio is messed up in SMPlayer.

That being said, the programs in question work.