PDA

View Full Version : Unable to find live file system (DVD drive not seen)

konungursvia
October 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I'm trying to install 10.10 on a new HP (s5560f) with a very new LG Blu-ray DVD Super-Multi optical drive.

My old Jaunty disc installs and can boot from disk, but when it is installed the network card is not recognized, nor is the wireless.

But when I try to install 10.10, it fails to see the DVD and gives the (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

message, which I am guessing means it can't see the optical drive or cannot mount virtual drives for installation.

I tried dl-ing the alternate install, but it coughs when it needs to load support for the optical drive. It does offer me the option to use a file on a removable media I have, but I don't know enough to know this:

What generic optical driver should I put on the usb key to enable the install to read my dvd drive?

That would be a big help, and it seems many are having this problem.

THanks!

konungursvia
October 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM
In other words, can someone tell me exactly what the optical driver looks like? That way I can copy it from the Jaunty disk, which works, onto a thumb drive for use during the 10.10 install, which fails to mount the optical drive.

konungursvia
October 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Or perhaps do you all have any other ideas?

garyedwardjohnston
November 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I am having the exact same problem on this exact machine.

To actually install Ubuntu I disabled the Blu-Ray Combo drive completely from the BIOS (not a solution). This allows Ubuntu install at least.

My next problem is with the built in wireless...I can't figure this one out at all. For some strange reason playing with settings in BIOS and such 1 of 100 tries to connect wirelessly to my router it did pick up signals but was unable to connect.

Hope we can get a solution.