PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Desktop quirks on upgrade to 10.10

pixnaps
October 10th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Just updated from Lucid to Maverick UNE. (It froze at one point, so I killed it from a virtual console and used 'dpkg --configure -a' to complete the installation.)

My question: Isn't the new 'unity' sidebar launcher supposed to replace the old on-screen menu? We now have both. And the old menu seems buggy: e.g. the text under some icons is displayed *vertically* (i.e. in a column just one character wide!) instead of horizontally.

Any ideas how to fix this?

pixnaps
October 11th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I should add that the 'locations' option under the clock panel applet seems to be missing. I can change the date and time, but can't set a location, and so Redshift no longer works.

Also, the Alt-F2 shortcut no longer works. What's with that?

Update: see attached screenshot, demonstrating the three errors (old desktop menu, vertical icon text, and lack of location option)

kerry_s
October 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
you have a mix of old & new, in other words a bad upgrade. the new netbook does not have that desktop launcher, just that side bar.

i've already started to tweak mine, but it should be something like this:

pixnaps
October 11th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks, I figured it must be something like that. Is it possible to fix, or will I need to resort to a clean install?

kerry_s
October 11th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Thanks, I figured it must be something like that. Is it possible to fix, or will I need to resort to a clean install?

i'd go clean, there's just to many changes & settings.

nkealen
October 11th, 2010, 07:06 AM
you have a mix of old & new, in other words a bad upgrade. the new netbook does not have that desktop launcher, just that side bar.

i've already started to tweak mine, but it should be something like this:
What are some things that you've been able to do and how did you do it? I've been fiddling and searching for a few hours and coming up blank.

kerry_s
October 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
What are some things that you've been able to do and how did you do it? I've been fiddling and searching for a few hours and coming up blank.

not much, what is that you want to do?

nkealen
October 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM
not much, what is that you want to do?
I figured out how to "pin" an app to the sidebar. I'd like to know how to change what folders are the "Favorites"

I use the Ubuntu-one sync folder but have to navigate through so many things to get to it. It'd be great if it was a favorite folder. I don't use video on the netbook, so I'd like to remove that one.

There are a couple of other things, but they are small issues. I like the interface and I think it's intuitive on the surface, but no simple dragging folders around (even if they still snap-to grid--which is okay) no uses for right-clicking, or even no simple help and configuration is kind of a bummer

pixnaps
October 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM
i'd go clean, there's just to many changes & settings.

Ok, thanks!

paulx1
October 13th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Just updated from Lucid to Maverick UNE. (It froze at one point, so I killed it from a virtual console and used 'dpkg --configure -a' to complete the installation.)

My question: Isn't the new 'unity' sidebar launcher supposed to replace the old on-screen menu? We now have both. And the old menu seems buggy: e.g. the text under some icons is displayed *vertically* (i.e. in a column just one character wide!) instead of horizontally.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I had both menus also after an upgrade.

However the following seems to have fixed it:

system - preference - startup applications

uncheck - netbook launcher
reboot.