PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 Upgrade takes 8 hrs?

beezn
October 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM
after downloading all the upgrade packages my install has taken about 8 hrs to complete, Im using a 3.0 ghz P4 with 1.5 gb of RAM on a 74 GB Raptor hard disk, Ideas?

mrgs
October 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM
It is always risky to upgrade the day of the release, as the servers might be overloaded. What happens if you try after a day or two, plain and simple?

lovinglinux
October 10th, 2010, 10:28 PM
It is always risky to upgrade the day of the release, as the servers might be overloaded. What happens if you try after a day or two, plain and simple?

Is not a bandwidth issue, since the OP stated this ETA is after downloading the packages.

@beezn

I never do upgrades, only clean installs, which takes 2 hours at most, including personal configuration and installation of all programs I use. Nevertheless, the only time I did an upgrade I had the same issue. I don't remember exactly how many hour it took, but was certainly above 5 hours. I have a Core2 Duo, so I guess you ETA is pretty "normal" for a P4.

I think is because the package manager needs to check lots of stuff instead of simply copying the files and configure them in a clean install.