PDA

View Full Version : Free 10.10 CD?

Cam!
October 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I remember with the release of 10.04, I was able to go to some site and order an "official" Ubuntu CD. How can I do the same, albeit with 10.10?

kaldor
October 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I remember with the release of 10.04, I was able to go to some site and order an "official" Ubuntu CD. How can I do the same, albeit with 10.10?

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

This?

JoyousDeath
October 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
The same way I believe.

But after about 3 CD's you won't be able to get anymore unless you help the community buy submitting bugs or code or just paying for it.

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

aldld
October 10th, 2010, 07:20 PM
3 CDs? I ordered a CD once before and I can't get any more :P

MisterGaribaldi
October 10th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Why go through the hassle of ordering a CD and waiting for it when you can just D/L the ISO and burn it yourself?

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 10th, 2010, 08:42 PM

If you can't use Shipit (https://shipit.ubuntu.com/), then try buying from the Ubuntu Store (http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=746). The 10.10 CDs are € 5.85, plus VAT and shipping, for a pack of 5 CDs.

Edit: I see you are in New Jersey, USA. The cost is $7.92 US, plus TAX and shipping, for a pack of 5 CDs. :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
This post may be off topic; therefore, I will understand if it gets deleted.

Why go through the hassle of ordering a CD and waiting for it when you can just D/L the ISO and burn it yourself?

The Shipit site explains it to some degree.
But if you have limited bandwidth and are unable to download it, we can send you a CD of the latest version. Some people also have bandwidth caps. In rural areas in the USA and other countries you may not be able to get FIOS, DSL, or Cable. You are stick with dial-up (Low Speed) or Satellite (Bandwidth Caps, and Low Speed). I could use my cell phone data plan with its 5GB limit per month at some terrible speed. :)

I have some farm land. When I go to the farm, I forget about using the Internet. The options are limited, and expensive for the bandwidth or caps available.

Fortunately, I live in a town that has DSL and Cable. I can do without Internet for a day when I go to the farm. :)

Nolt
October 11th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi,

Since few last releases I'm not able to shipit any of ubuntu Cd' anymore. It's says I shipped is limited and I can't do it anymore. But once (9.10 I guess) I talked with some person from shippit staff and he send me a 1CD. Anyone know any contatc to shipit staff?

Regards,
Nolt

NightwishFan
October 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Nolt, I believe you can receive ship-it again if you do some work or bug reports in launchpad, or make a small donation. Someone else can confirm though.

I would not use ship-it unless you need to though. I personally am going to buy a box of 10.04 and 10.10 cds from the Canonical store.

t0p
October 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I also think you shouldn't use Shipit unless you can't download the installation cd .iso for some reason: bandwidth capped, download speed slow, etc. I think that Shipit is there for those who need it, not just because you want the nice official printed sleeve.

But that's just my opinion. I know many people disagree.

CraigPaleo
October 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
You could save a lot of bandwidth by doing an upgrade (gasp!) rather than dl the entire iso. If that's not an option, start bug hunting. :)

CDs are sold all over the Internet for next to nothing. It's the shipping that'll get you! A $1.75 CD will turn into $7.00 when all is said and done.

NCLI
October 11th, 2010, 01:04 PM
You could save a lot of bandwidth by doing an upgrade (gasp!) rather than dl the entire iso. If that's not an option, start bug hunting. :)

CDs are sold all over the Internet for next to nothing. It's the shipping that'll get you! A $1.75 CD will turn into $7.00 when all is said and done.

Not really, you download approximately the same amount of data by upgrading as you do by downloading the cd ISO.

wkhasintha
October 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I also think you shouldn't use Shipit unless you can't download the installation cd .iso for some reason: bandwidth capped, download speed slow, etc. I think that Shipit is there for those who need it, not just because you want the nice official printed sleeve.

But that's just my opinion. I know many people disagree.

Agreed bro.. Lot of people abuse this service .. It's so pathetic..:(

Don't order unless you really can't download .. let who really need this service get it's maximum use.

CraigPaleo
October 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Not really, you download approximately the same amount of data by upgrading as you do by downloading the cd ISO.

If that's true, they really need to consider utilizing something like bsdiff and bspatch for those with bandwidth limitations.

PiSi, the package manager of Pardus does something similar in only downloading the differences in an upgrade.

NightwishFan
October 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I am willing to bet that is something they are working on.

CraigPaleo
October 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I am willing to bet that is something they are working on.

I hope so. It'd be well worth the effort.